Seven Java Screensavers

Boris Gorjan

John said:
And we're sure these are not trojans...why, again?

1. Zips contain c source. You inspect it.
2. Zipz contain jars with .class files. No source there. So you either use a
decompiler and inspect a decompiled code. If decompiler fails, you use javap.
Inspection takes a little longer, but if you want to be sure...

andrewthommo

John said:
And we're sure these are not trojans...why, again?

These savers were written using the Java based
SaverBeans API, therefore it is possible to preview
them in a 'sandbox' controlled by Java Web Start.

Since I have extensive involvement with the SaverBeans
API, devised the webstart previews, and was curious..
I set up a series of previews[1] here..
<http://www.javasaver.com/testjs/wong/>
Select the relevant JNLP file to view each saver.
Each saver requires <70Kb to get on-screen.

[1] They worked at home from the local file system,
but I had to change the docbase for the net and am
unable to test the altered files at the library (no
Java installed) where I am actually uploading.

I set the JNLP files up so that none of them even request
extended privileges[2], let alone are granted them.

[2] 'extended privileges' includes file access, socket
access, web access, running native methods, reading of
system properties deemed sensitive ..and a variety of
other things.

(Note that these previews do not answer your ..query,
but do provide a safe way to view the savers.)

To Leo..

1.
Why did you include Mark Roth's demo saver (Bouncing Line)
in your distribution? If you are having problems separating
the savers, I recommend you get on over to the SaverBeans
forum for some pointers.

2.
The common nomenclature for Java packages is
'allletterslowercase', so..

org.jdesktop.jdic.screensaver.QueSeuratSeurat.QueSeuratSeurat

...class should be ..

org.jdesktop.jdic.screensaver.queseuratseurat.QueSeuratSeurat

3.
XScreenSaver (used for the native binding on Unix/Linux OS's)
has recently migrated to Mac's as well, so we might see
SaverBeans Savers on the Mac. 'real soon now'. Mark (project
founder) is looking to issue a new API to coincide with
JavaOne in May, but we have not yet found anyone
capable/willing to do the work needed to allow us to go 'Apple'.

4.
Please feel free to use the JNLP files on your own site.
You will need to make minor changes to the 'codebase' to
get them to work on your site. Oh.. and since all your
jar archives contained all the classes, I simply used one
and renamed it 'sbscr.jar'.

5.
Contributions of source to the SaverBeans project are
always welcome. Are you willing to submit these savers
to become part of the 'core savers' distributed with
the API?

Andrew T.

Leo Wong

John said:
And we're sure these are not trojans...why, again?

These savers were written using the Java based
SaverBeans API, therefore it is possible to preview
them in a 'sandbox' controlled by Java Web Start.

Since I have extensive involvement with the SaverBeans
API, devised the webstart previews, and was curious..
I set up a series of previews[1] here..
<http://www.javasaver.com/testjs/wong/>
Select the relevant JNLP file to view each saver.
Each saver requires <70Kb to get on-screen.

Thanks

To Leo..

1.
Why did you include Mark Roth's demo saver (Bouncing Line)
in your distribution? If you are having problems separating
the savers, I recommend you get on over to the SaverBeans
forum for some pointers.

I registered and can read the forum but don't know how to ask questions
or respond. I now have a smaller distributiona which I hand JARred,
but am not really sure if they work. It's only been a week or so since
I found out about Java screensavers, so I know hardly anything. In
fact, I know little Java, though I have been writing applets for a
while.
2.
The common nomenclature for Java packages is
'allletterslowercase', so..

org.jdesktop.jdic.screensaver.QueSeuratSeurat.QueSeuratSeurat

..class should be ..

org.jdesktop.jdic.screensaver.queseuratseurat.QueSeuratSeurat

Thank you. Will change if I continue.
3.
XScreenSaver (used for the native binding on Unix/Linux OS's)
has recently migrated to Mac's as well, so we might see
SaverBeans Savers on the Mac. 'real soon now'. Mark (project
founder) is looking to issue a new API to coincide with
JavaOne in May, but we have not yet found anyone
capable/willing to do the work needed to allow us to go 'Apple'.

Would like to see the savers on Mac. Have not yet heard if they work
on Unix.
4.
Please feel free to use the JNLP files on your own site.
You will need to make minor changes to the 'codebase' to
get them to work on your site. Oh.. and since all your
jar archives contained all the classes, I simply used one
and renamed it 'sbscr.jar'.

Don't know what JNLP files are -- will look it up.
5.
Contributions of source to the SaverBeans project are
always welcome. Are you willing to submit these savers
to become part of the 'core savers' distributed with
the API?

Andrew T.

Yes, if I knew how. However I am a Forth programmer. My Java source
would be very bad examples.

BTW, I used 0.1.1. 0.2 doesn't work on my computer. I tried to write
about this in the forum but couldn't (respond to the post about illegal
memory operation).

Dear Andrew T,

I hesitated to post again to cljp because of my being previously abused
for doing so. Now I'm glad I did, since I've learned a lot from your
post. I also thank you for making these screensavers possible.

LW

andrewthommo

5.
Yes, if I knew how.

:-( I found the login/forum of JDIC to be less than completely
intuitive.
However I am a Forth programmer. My Java source
would be very bad examples.

(shrugs) They look good on-screen, and that is what the main interest
for the contributed savers is.

A lot of the submitted code is somewhat less than 'textbook perfect',
from a lot of folks with more enthusiasm than experience/talent.
BTW, I used 0.1.1. 0.2 doesn't work on my computer. I tried to write
about this in the forum but couldn't (respond to the post about illegal
memory operation).

I made a further note at the forum, and will try to verify it myself.
If I manage reproduce it, I will raise a bug report.

BTW - Please give the forum another go. It makes a certain amount
of bizarre sense - after a while.

If you cannot manage it, try contacting the support folks directly
(if you don't mind) - I have already been haranguing them re a
variety of changes I feel they should make to the basic workings
of the site.
I hesitated to post again to cljp because of my being previously abused
for doing so. Now I'm glad I did, since I've learned a lot from your
post.

You're welcome.
..I also thank you for making these screensavers possible.

I am not sure if you mean the API, or the previews of your savers,
but Mark Roth is responsible for the API (to which I have only made
a few minor contributions) and the previews are pretty easy, once
you have managed it once. [ ..but, if you were referring to any
part of that - you're welcome. ]

Andrew T.

Leo Wong

:-( I found the login/forum of JDIC to be less than completely
intuitive.

I'll try again.
(shrugs) They look good on-screen, and that is what the main interest
for the contributed savers is.

A lot of the submitted code is somewhat less than 'textbook perfect',
from a lot of folks with more enthusiasm than experience/talent.

I'll look at the CVS code already there, then see if I should revise
mine before submitting.
I made a further note at the forum, and will try to verify it myself.
If I manage reproduce it, I will raise a bug report.

Thanks.

BTW - Please give the forum another go. It makes a certain amount
of bizarre sense - after a while.

If you cannot manage it, try contacting the support folks directly
(if you don't mind) - I have already been haranguing them re a
variety of changes I feel they should make to the basic workings
of the site.
<http://www.javasaver.com/dev/ifaq.jsp#webinterface>

I'll look at the faq again, though I couldn't find an important button
it referred to.
..I also thank you for making these screensavers possible.

I am not sure if you mean the API, or the previews of your savers,
but Mark Roth is responsible for the API (to which I have only made
a few minor contributions) and the previews are pretty easy, once
you have managed it once. [ ..but, if you were referring to any
part of that - you're welcome. ]

Yes, you and Mark Roth. I couldn't get the JNLP's to work from my
site. Does my web host have to do something first?

Leo Wong

andrewthommo

I couldn't get the JNLP's to work from my site. Does my web host have to do something first?

Quite possibly. The server needs to specify a MIME type for the
JNLP file. There is a checker for content-types at Roedy's site..
<http://mindprod.com/applets/mimecheck.html>

It requires something along the lines of..
..jnlp extension served as -> MIME type application/x-java-jnlp-file

Note also that it can help to debug them, by giving the URL of
your JNLP's (working or not).

HTH

Andrew T.

Leo Wong

Yes, my server did not give the right answer. I'll write to the web
host to see if they'll change it.

andrewthommo

[...]

I've now been admitted as an observer to the screensaver project, and
can even see a "reply" button -- so we don't need to talk any more
about my screensavers in cljp.

LW
http://www.murphywong.net

andrewthommo

I've now been admitted as an observer to the screensaver project, and
can even see a "reply" button -- ...

Excellent! We could use some input on that 'illegal memory operation'
thread, as I just *failed* to reproduce it a second time (this time on
two separate PC's running Xp/Xp Pro with no Java).

A stacktrace/log would be great...