shadow copy for unmanaged dll

Jürgen Laude

I'm developing a web service that uses an unmanaged dll via P/Invoke. My
problem is that I cannot remove or replace the unmanaged dll as I can for the
managed assemblies because it is locked and not shadow copied. I always need
to wait for an idle timeout on the WS that unloads the unmanaged dll. How can
I enable shadow copies for unmanaged dlls?

Thank you in advance,
Jürgen Laude

Dilip Krishnan

Hello Jürgen,
For one any unmanaged code you need to be very careful to use teh Dispose
method to free unmanaged resources as soon as possible. Secondly try to make
sure you use yr unmanaged code for as little time a possible and not hang
on to those resources that span requests.

HTH
Regards,
Dilip Krishnan
MCAD, MCSD.net