shop cart list page with several remove buttons, no javascript

wolfing1

how would I go doing it without javascript and using 'POST'?
Having a page with a variable list of items in a shopcart, each item
with its own 'remove' button. How could I do this without a javascript
and using POST as the form type? (so having <a href="page.htm?remove=2>
is not possible)

Aaron Bertrand [SQL Server MVP]

You have a shopping cart, what is the justification for no javascript?

Do you really think there are people out there who would give you their
credit card number but wouldn't trust you to popup a window or an alert
message using JavaScript?

Mike Brind

how would I go doing it without javascript and using 'POST'?
Having a page with a variable list of items in a shopcart, each item
with its own 'remove' button. How could I do this without a javascript
and using POST as the form type? (so having <a href="page.htm?remove=2>
is not possible)

<form method="post" action="delete_an_entry_page.asp">
<input type="hidden" value="<%=cart_item_value%">
<input type="submit" name="action" value="Delete">
</form>

Or am I missing something tricky in your question?

wolfing1

Mike said:
<form method="post" action="delete_an_entry_page.asp">
<input type="hidden" value="<%=cart_item_value%">
<input type="submit" name="action" value="Delete">
</form>

Or am I missing something tricky in your question?
The thing is, there are several (variable number of) 'delete' buttons,
one for each item. How would the page know which one of them was
clicked?
Like, if I knew there would be, say, 10 buttons, I could name them all
button1, button2, etc. and in the asp page I could ask for button1.x.
But if I don't know how many items would there be in the page in
advance, how would I do that?

Mike Brind

The thing is, there are several (variable number of) 'delete' buttons,
one for each item. How would the page know which one of them was
clicked?
Like, if I knew there would be, say, 10 buttons, I could name them all
button1, button2, etc. and in the asp page I could ask for button1.x.
But if I don't know how many items would there be in the page in
advance, how would I do that?

You can tell which one was clicked from the value passed in the hidden
field. Although to make it work, you would have to give the hidden
field a name - something I neglected to do :)

<form method="post" action="delete_an_entry_page.asp">
<input type="hidden" name ="cartitem" value="<%=cart_item_value%">
<input type="submit" name="action" value="Delete">
</form>

If Request.Form("action") = "Delete" Then
Remove item from cart where cart_item_id = Request.Form("cartitme")

Aaron Bertrand [SQL Server MVP]

The thing is, there are several (variable number of) 'delete' buttons,
one for each item. How would the page know which one of them was
clicked?

Because there is a form for each button, and an <input type=hidden
name=productid value="<%=productid%>">

wolfing1

Aaron said:
Because there is a form for each button, and an <input type=hidden
name=productid value="<%=productid%>">
Oh so each item would be a form in itself? hmm... oh hey that's pretty
cool, let me try that thanks!