    long enough variable to remove any chance repeat URL. Can me
    developer change my code to shorten the generated URLs string to say
    10 characters?
    treeguy, Jul 17, 2008

  2. "treeguy" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I am not a developer but my site has long URL strings that have
    > problem getting crawled. I understand Google now will crawl past the +
    > but does not like the long strings. I tried URL rewrite and it did not
    > work for me. Seem like there would be command in the asp to tell ti
    > to shorten the string here is one of mine.
    > http://www.landincorporated.com/Preview.aspx?pID=81e23cf6-0303-40a7-ba66-367fa393e125
    > at http:// www.landincorporated.com
    >
    > Why cannot it not be generated by asp to like
    > http://www.landincorporated.com/Preview.aspx?pID=81e23cf6. That is a
    > long enough variable to remove any chance repeat URL. Can me
    > developer change my code to shorten the generated URLs string to say
    > 10 characters?

    ASP has nothing to do with your site. It's written in ASP.NET which is
    totally different (although there was no way for you to know that). The
    string of letters and numbers in your URL is a reference code to individual
    items in the database. That was set by the original developers, and can
    probably only be changed by them. However, I suspect that the real problem
    behind your lack of success in getting indexed is the fact that search
    engines can't peform searches - which is the only real way to access
    property details on your site. And even if they could search, the
    developers have used the default paging that comes with the control in which
    the properties are listed in search results pages. It generates paging
    links in clientside javascript which search engine bots can't activate, so
    they don't follow the links. Again, that's something that the developers
    need to address on your behalf. You may also want to consider investing in
    the services of a Search Engine Marketing company. You already have the
    benefit of the extent of my kowledge on these things.

    Google (as far as I know) has no problem with long strings in urls. It
    prefers not to bother with multiple parameters in querystrings, but you only
    have one in yours: pID.

    --
    Mike Brind
    MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    Mike Brind [MVP], Jul 17, 2008

  3. treeguy

    treeguy Guest

    On Jul 17, 5:32 pm, "Mike Brind [MVP]" <> wrote:
    > "treeguy" <> wrote in message

    > >I am not a developer but my site has long URL strings that have
    > > problem getting crawled. I understand Google now will crawl past the +
    > > but does not like the long strings. I tried URL rewrite and it did not
    > > work for me. Seem  like there would be command in the asp to tell ti
    > > to shorten the string here is one of mine.
    > >http://www.landincorporated.com/Preview.aspx?pID=81e23cf6-0303-40a7-b....
    > > at http://www.landincorporated.com

    > > Why cannot it not be  generated by asp to like
    > >http://www.landincorporated.com/Preview.aspx?pID=81e23cf6. That is a
    > > long enough  variable to remove any chance repeat URL. Can me
    > > developer change my code to shorten the generated URLs string to say
    > > 10 characters?

    > ASP has nothing to do with your site.  It's written in ASP.NET which is
    > totally different (although there was no way for you to know that).  The
    > string of letters and numbers in your URL is a reference code to individual
    > items in the database.  That was set by the original developers, and can
    > probably only be changed by them.  However, I suspect that the real problem
    > behind your lack of success in getting indexed is the fact that search
    > engines can't peform searches - which is the only real way to access
    > property details on your site.  And even if they could search, the
    > developers have used the default paging that comes with the control in which
    > the properties are listed in search results pages.  It generates paging
    > links in clientside javascript which search engine bots can't activate, so
    > they don't follow the links.  Again, that's something that the developers
    > need to address on your behalf.  You may also want to consider investing in
    > the services of a Search Engine Marketing company.  You already have the
    > benefit of the extent of my kowledge on these things.
    >
    > Google (as far as I know) has no problem with long strings in urls.  It
    > prefers not to bother with multiple parameters in querystrings, but you only
    > have one in yours: pID.
    >
    > --
    > Mike Brind
    > MVP - ASP/ASP.NET

    OK, thanks for your knowledge. Actually my site is doing very well on
    its main page being indexed. Try " search land to buy" in Google and
    we are number 1 and other phrases too. Tthe problem is getting the
    generated property pages indexed. I have 500 now and some day will
    have thousands. I guess I will look into SEO but not sure what they
    can do either. I was thinking the problem was the ? and the =
    characters and did not know its pID. The odd thing is I can take one
    of these urls and I have done about 50of them and manually submit
    them to Google to crawl and I cannot see that do it at all. Why would
    manual submit not work for Google to index as it is a url and no need
    for spiderto locate it in the site with the search tools which it
    cannot do as you said ?
    treeguy, Jul 18, 2008
  4. "treeguy" <> wrote in message
    On Jul 17, 5:32 pm, "Mike Brind [MVP]" <> wrote:

    > OK, thanks for your knowledge. Actually my site is doing very well on
    > its main page being indexed. Try " search land to buy" in Google and
    > we are number 1 and other phrases too. Tthe problem is getting the
    > generated property pages indexed. I have 500 now and some day will
    > have thousands. I guess I will look into SEO but not sure what they
    > can do either. I was thinking the problem was the ? and the =
    > characters and did not know its pID. The odd thing is I can take one
    > of these urls and I have done about 50of them and manually submit
    > them to Google to crawl and I cannot see that do it at all. Why would
    > manual submit not work for Google to index as it is a url and no need
    > for spiderto locate it in the site with the search tools which it
    > cannot do as you said ?

    I'm not an SEO expert by any means, as I already said, and SEO is miles away
    from the topic of this group. That's why I suggested you talk to someone
    who knows about these things. All I can tell you is that Google will
    happily index urls containing querystrings (which is the stuff after ?=).
    Try searching for "Classic ASP Ajax", and you will see that the first result
    is one of my pages, with a querystring in the url. Beyond that, I don't
    really have anything useful to add.

    --
    Mike Brind
    MVP - ASP/ASP.NET