shoulf

terry433iid

I am developing a web application to allow users setup a complete test
environment for their specific needs :-
- hardware
- users
- projects
- tests

So the app would allow users to create a project (say nfsv4)
whereby they would allocate 3 lab systems to run an nfsv4 testsuite
(called nfsv4_test).
So in the classic MVC model the backend would be SQL database with
tables for users, hardware, tests, projects. The front end would be
all JSP for adding/monitoring projects or users or tests, and it is
the middle portion that I am unsure about. I can use regular java
classes here to code the business logic ..... or do I use Java beans?
what advantage would there be to using Java Beans? Are Java Beans
still a supported technology and can I afford to ignore it?

Daniel Pitts

Roedy said:
It sort of lives on the in the get/set and other naming conventions,
but the idea of the beanbox died.

So long as you understand naming conventions, you can ignore
JavaBeans.

See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/javabeans.html
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/codingconventions.html
That's not entirely true. JavaBeans are still alive and kicking in
certain frameworks, such as Spring, Guice, and other IoC/DI frameworks,
as well as struts/el in JSPs.

Unfortunately, a lot of developers think that JavaBeans was only ever a
naming convention, don't know anything about the BeanInfo classes, and
write "bean introspection" code that is broken :-/

Not to mention the unfortunate shortsightedness of build all the
property editor support around the java.awt.Component :) Ofcourse, it
*was* a good idea at the time, but that time has long passed.

So, the short answer is, yes, the JavaBean concept is still alive and
well, but not quite the same as the original concept.

Arne Vajhøj

That's not entirely true. JavaBeans are still alive and kicking in
certain frameworks, such as Spring, Guice, and other IoC/DI frameworks,
as well as struts/el in JSPs.

Unfortunately, a lot of developers think that JavaBeans was only ever a
naming convention, don't know anything about the BeanInfo classes, and
write "bean introspection" code that is broken :-/
So, the short answer is, yes, the JavaBean concept is still alive and
well, but not quite the same as the original concept.

I agree.

The fat client GUI aspect of beans is mostly dead.

But 99% of Java apps probably use beans.

And the term is still used.

The difference between "bean for non-GUI usage" and "getter & setter
convention" is small when it comes to writing the classes.

Arne