showing illegal characters

thomasamillergoogle

I am building a web page to show a TCP/IP raw packet.

I need to show "special characters" on the web page I am working on.
When I say "special characters" i am talking about tabs, whitespace,
crazy unicode characters, etc etc.

What is the best way to present this to the user?

I am thinking that a large textarea is the only way to display it so it
retains all the special characters.

Is there a better idea?

VK

I need to show "special characters" on the web page I am working on.
When I say "special characters" i am talking about tabs, whitespace,
crazy unicode characters, etc etc.

UTF-8 is the "sorry" winner. Sorry because it has big "Korean issues"
with 00XX chars (thus atop of ACSII but the table byte is still 00,
like English pound). You just relax a bit, and you'll get Korean
letters :)
Still surrently the only more-or-less reliable alternative for HTTP I
guess (?)

VK

Damn, pressed Enter by occasion.

Any way, I would use UTF-8 for all XXXX chars, and I would try to use
char entities (like ©) for 00XX part.