shut down your computers tonight

Roedy Green

Tonight about 11 PM PST is expected a whopper solar storm. The feds
are shutting down their computers to protect them. Perhaps we should
too.

Steve Horsley

Tonight about 11 PM PST is expected a whopper solar storm. The feds
are shutting down their computers to protect them. Perhaps we should
too.

What's that in English? Can you give UT or GMT? I'm not trying to wind you
up, I don't think I know what PST is. <Something> Standard time?

Shuttong down computers sounds a bit drastic. I'd look outside, but it's
raining.

Steve

Phil...

solar? it will be dark here is chicago

Steve Horsley said:
What's that in English? Can you give UT or GMT? I'm not trying to wind you
up, I don't think I know what PST is. <Something> Standard time?

Shuttong down computers sounds a bit drastic. I'd look outside, but it's
raining.

Steve

Roedy Green

What's that in English? Can you give UT or GMT?

Pacific Standard Time (was it not God's time at one point, by default
in Java)

That would be ( 23+8 ) % 24 = 7 AM Wed AM GMT.

Roedy Green

solar? it will be dark here is chicago

Apparently it affects the darkside too. Consider how the aurora
borealis happens at night.

Most likely to be affected are communications satellites.

There was such a storm shortly after the telegraph was invented and it
took down even those lines you would think would be ultra robust.

Tim Slattery

Steve Horsley said:
What's that in English? Can you give UT or GMT? I'm not trying to wind you
up, I don't think I know what PST is. <Something> Standard time?

Pacific Standard Time (US West coast). That's UTC - 8.

Darryl L. Pierce

Roedy said:
Apparently it affects the darkside too. Consider how the aurora
borealis happens at night.

Not happens at night: it's just more visible at night. The reason for the
non-daylight for some areas is that not *all* parts of the world are in
daylight at the same time. It's at the stated time that the CME will arrive
on Earth.

Roedy Green

Tonight about 11 PM PST is expected a whopper solar storm. The feds
are shutting down their computers to protect them. Perhaps we should
too.

It showed up an hour early.