Signed Midlets

MIke Conner

I'm trying to play around with midlets. If I want to do anything
interesting, it appears that the midlet needs to be signed. I'm new to
code signing, but so far, it appears that I either have to fork over $400
to verisign, or maybe $200 to thawte for a code signing certificate.

Isn't there some way to sign my code (and have it be accepted by my device,
a Treo 600) without paying for this?

Thanks,

Mike

JScoobyCed

MIke said:
I'm trying to play around with midlets. If I want to do anything
interesting, it appears that the midlet needs to be signed. I'm new to
code signing, but so far, it appears that I either have to fork over $400
to verisign, or maybe $200 to thawte for a code signing certificate.

Isn't there some way to sign my code (and have it be accepted by my device,
a Treo 600) without paying for this?

Thanks,

Mike

Hi,

Have you come with a working solution ?
I have triied to create a self-signed certificate from J2SE (using the
keytool). With the certificate, I imported to my Nokia 6600 (just send
through bluetooth, and when opening it in the SMS inbox it asks to
install the cert).
Then I used WTK 2 Utilities application to "Sign MIDlet suite". It said
it was successful. But when I install on the phone, I get "Application
Error" at installation, and the MIDlet is not installed.

Hope you got more luck.

Joined
Jul 19, 2006
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
MIke Conner said:
I'm trying to play around with midlets. If I want to do anything
interesting, it appears that the midlet needs to be signed. I'm new to
code signing, but so far, it appears that I either have to fork over $400
to verisign, or maybe $200 to thawte for a code signing certificate.

Isn't there some way to sign my code (and have it be accepted by my device,
a Treo 600) without paying for this?

Thanks,

Mike

You can't buy certificate to sign midlets. You have to go through
Sun's Java Verified program to get your midlets signed.

You can test with your own signing certificates by downloading them via
cable or bluetooth, but you can't upload your own signing certificates OTA to
any phone.