Silent install of a gem and its dependencies

Jan Svitok

Hi,

I'm wondering whether there is a way to install a gem and its
dependecies without rubygems asking anything.

I need to deploy on several machines a set of gems. I created special
gem for the purpose that depends on all of them. Even though I install
the gem event with -y and there is only one available choice, rubygems
ask which one I want to install (1. the gem, 2. cancel). Is there a
way to get rid of this question?

TIA
J.

vasudevram

Jan said:
Hi,

I'm wondering whether there is a way to install a gem and its
dependecies without rubygems asking anything.

I need to deploy on several machines a set of gems. I created special
gem for the purpose that depends on all of them. Even though I install
the gem event with -y and there is only one available choice, rubygems
ask which one I want to install (1. the gem, 2. cancel). Is there a
way to get rid of this question?

TIA
J.

Hi,

[What do you mean by "gem event"?]

Ans 1: Check the gem help for all relevant options (like -q for quiet,
-s for silent, etc.) if you haven't already.

Ans2: (If Ans 1 doesn't help):

I haven't tried this out (not at my machine right now) but it may work,
if gem reads standard input for the answer:

Create a file called inp.txt that contains a "1" (withut the quotes)
followed by a newline.

gem gem_options your_gem_name < inp.txt

Another way, if you're on Linux or *NIX, may be:

yes | gem gem_options your_gem_name

The yes command writes (in an infinite loop), a "y" followed by a
newline, to standard output.
And if gem reads its standard input for the answer, this may work.

Best way is to try it out.

HTH
Vasudev
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Vasudev Ram
Software training and consulting
10.times say "Truly rural"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Timothy Goddard

vasudevram said:
Jan said:
[...]

If you change this to:

yes 1 | gem gem_options your_gem_name

it will send in ones instead of 'y's

Alex Young

Timothy said:
vasudevram said:
Jan said:
[...]

The problem is that different gems have different platforms appearing as
their '1' choice - I've got a sneaking suspicion that some have even
changed priorities between versions, although I'd be happy to be proved
wrong on that point. I think it needs to be RExpected, but I haven't
needed to do it myself.

Jan Svitok

Timothy said:
vasudevram said:
Jan Svitok wrote:
[...]

Thanks all for your responses. I was hoping that there is some switch
or magic gem format that will avoid the quesion. Now that I've read
rubygems source, the question will be allways asked when there is a
binary version of the gem.
I'll try the solution with feeding gems with '1's as I run my own
local gemserver and I can set it up so that only one version will be
available.

J.