SilverLight, a new way for Python?

Michel Claveau

Hi!

SilverLight ("MS flash killer"), is a plug-in for InternetExplorer
(Win), FireFox (Win), and Safari (Mac).
The release 1.1-Alpha come with JScript & Python (or ironPython?)

See :
http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/default.aspx
http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/why-compelling.aspx
http://silverlight.net/Default.aspx
http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/install.aspx

Perhaps SilverLight is a new substitute for Python-Active-Scripting in
IE.

Perhaps SilverLight is the begin for new GUI style (vectors + XAML).

Perhaps SilverLight is the start for a new IDE (plug-in for VS-2005 or
Expression are availables).

But, I don't had try SilverLight...

Who had try it?

Duncan Booth

Michel Claveau said:
Hi!

SilverLight ("MS flash killer"), is a plug-in for InternetExplorer
(Win), FireFox (Win), and Safari (Mac).
The release 1.1-Alpha come with JScript & Python (or ironPython?)
IronPython.

Perhaps SilverLight is a new substitute for Python-Active-Scripting in
IE.

It can do much more than active scripting.
But, I don't had try SilverLight...

Have you at least run the demos? To run the demos you just need Windows
or a Mac (or a virtual machine running windows) and install the
Silverlight 1.1 alpha.
Who had try it?

There are some nice demos at
http://silverlight.net/themes/silverlight/community/gallerydetail.aspx?cat=2

In particular the DLRconsole
(http://silverlight.net/Samples/1.1/DLR-Console/python/index.htm) gives
you an interactive prompt to play with IronPython (or JScript) and XAML.

The big drawback is that despite being trumpeted as cross-platform it
runs on Windows and Mac but not Linux. The technology looks very
tempting, so much so that I can see a lot of people are going to use it.

I balked at downloading the full 5.6Gb Visual Studio beta, but once you
have the plugin installed in your browser you can run IronPython + xaml
directly from your local disc (or a web server). e.g. Download the
PhotoViewer demo and unzip and you can then immediately start hacking
the Python file. I haven't tried running it from an Apache server yet
but there since the code is just client-side it should all work (although
until it gets out of Alpha you can't actually use it for anything real).

Méta-MCI

Re!

Hummm.... Perhaps.
But, with ActiveScripting, I can define functions & class in Python,
Ruby(script), Jscript, VBscript, Perl. I can call these functions/objects
directly from Python, and share many objects (& libraries).
I am not sure to find these features in SilverLight.

Yes, I downloaded two demos, and run-it.
I had look (quickly) the code. It's run. But it's too few for call that a
true "try".
However, these demos are nice & fun.

Another thing: I have VS-2005. I had install the plug-in SilverLight/VS ;
OK, but I don't found it in VS. Perhaps because I use a french version?
(sorry, I don't speak english).

This soft is young. I will wait some times, for read messages & realizations
from new users.

@-salutations

Michel Claveau

Duncan Booth

Méta-MCI said:
Re!

Hummm.... Perhaps.
But, with ActiveScripting, I can define functions & class in Python,
Ruby(script), Jscript, VBscript, Perl. I can call these
functions/objects directly from Python, and share many objects (&
libraries). I am not sure to find these features in SilverLight.

With Silverlight you can define functions & classes in Python, Ruby,
JScript, C#, VB, C++, and other languages and use them interchangeably.
They all run sandboxed on the client. One of the demos (the chess program)
demonstrates the difference quite well: it has both JScript and C#
implementations, with the JScript version examining about 500 nodes per
move and the C# one about 1,500,000.
Yes, I downloaded two demos, and run-it.
I had look (quickly) the code. It's run. But it's too few for call
that a true "try".
However, these demos are nice & fun.

Another thing: I have VS-2005. I had install the plug-in
SilverLight/VS ; OK, but I don't found it in VS. Perhaps because I use
a french version? (sorry, I don't speak english).

As I understand it you have to install the new beta version of visual
studio. So that is an 8Mb download for the Silverlight support in VS plus a
5.6Gb download for Visual Studio itself.