Simple 2D Java Game? How!?

koosalagoopagoop

Hello

I want to know how to create a simple 2d game in java AS A STANDALONE
PROGRAM, not an applet!

Anyone knows how??

Even the simplest .java file with an image moved by the keyboard will
do.

Thanks !

Jeffrey Spoon

In message said:
Hello

I want to know how to create a simple 2d game in java AS A STANDALONE
PROGRAM, not an applet!

Anyone knows how??

Even the simplest .java file with an image moved by the keyboard will
do.

Thanks !

Try this <http://www.cokeandcode.com/index.php?page=resources>

A very good tutorial site by Kevin Glass.

You should also check out the forums (Kevin posts there too)

<http://www.javagaming.org/cgi-bin/JGNetForums/YaBB.cgi>

Which are specifically about writing games in Java.

Tell him The CoffeeMonster sent you ;)

moulio

There are a bunch of different ways to do it. A while back as my final
I had to do pretty much what you are describing. I used the paint()
method in a JFrame to show the graphics - I forget how to show an
image, but it was some toolkit. I'm sure someone else will tell you
exactly how

For the keyboard you have to implement KeyboardReader. That can read
keystrokes.
-Thomas

Jacob

I want to know how to create a simple 2d game in java AS A STANDALONE
PROGRAM, not an applet!

Anyone knows how??

Even the simplest .java file with an image moved by the keyboard will
do.

There is a graphics 2D library with many small
demo programs (some of them being games)
available at http://geosoft.no/graphics

Jeffrey Spoon

In message said:
Thanks, jeffrey!

That cokeAndCode link seems good :)

No problem. The tutorial is fun. One day I might even finish it...
Also sounds like they are doing some more DirectX and OpenGL accelerated
stuff for the next release(s) of Java. Fingers crossed.