Simple allocation of two buffer on AMD64

CBFalconer

Mark said:
This is the most childish, ludicrous argument I've seen here
since before Dan Pop left. Richard(s) ought to be embarrassed to
be carrying it on, its like children in the playground shouting
yah-boo-sucks at each other. My five-year-old behaves like this,
but he's got an excuse.

I agree. My excuse is that I ignore it for a while (in the order
of 10 to 20 stupid messages) and then lose it and reply.

Richard

Aha. The moral high ground eh? So, if everyone starts posting with 200
word long lines and adding ascii art that is also ok for you?

Falconer does not practice what he preaches. This is the issue. For
someone that spends so much time lecturing others on line lengths and
how to snip he sure doesn't like to listen to his own advice - which in
itself is probably a good thing.
I agree. My excuse is that I ignore it for a while (in the order
of 10 to 20 stupid messages) and then lose it and reply.

Well, you would agree. It's you breaking the rules and being a
hypocritical arse as usual.

Stephen Sprunk

Richard said:
Which is why you should either leave off the second signature OR
move to another news service which does not attach another one.

My ISP doesn't have a news server, I'm unwilling to pay for non-binaries
usenet access, and I'm not aware of any other free NNTP server; if you're
aware of one that carries all the groups I'm interested in and charges
nothing, I'll happily move. Teranews has stability problems I'm not happy
with anyways.
Incorrect from what i can gather. The proper way is to clip the
last.

RFC 3676 implies the sig-sep sequence can only exist once per message since
it separates the body from the signature; however, it is referenced as a
"convention" and not a standard, so there is no official "proper" way to
handle multiple sig-seps (nor a standards violation when it happens). In
that case, any interpretation is valid, though I find one to be more obvious
and sensible than the other(s). The simplest way to code a newsreader is to
search for the _first_ occurrence of sig-sep and cut there, and it's no
surprise that the majority do it that way.
otherwise it is possible that embedded text could be cut.

Anyone who intentionally puts CLRF DASH DASH SP CRLF in their message body
deserves what they get.
Both gnus and slrn suffer

Then submit patches if it bugs you. My newsreader is too stupid to strip
_any_ signatures, so I never noticed the problem.
and I can't be bothered to manually snip
since he, and now you, are the ONLY two people who feel that
posting with two signatures is in anyway ok or justified.

I don't feel it's "okay" or "justified", but at the moment I'm not aware of
any other acceptable options. I find giving up my ability to put my _own_
signature on a message to be unacceptable; you obviously have a different
opinion, and that's fine. To each their own.

Richard

Stephen Sprunk said:
My ISP doesn't have a news server, I'm unwilling to pay for
non-binaries usenet access, and I'm not aware of any other free NNTP
server; if you're aware of one that carries all the groups I'm

They have been posted umpteen times here in response to CBFalconer's
apparent belief that he is beyond the rules and standards he sets for
everyone else.

http://motzarella.org/

or 1.1 seconds with google

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.comp.freeware/browse_thread/thread/ef63d15e883e1c18

and a million other matches.

interested in and charges nothing, I'll happily move. Teranews has
stability problems I'm not happy with anyways.

RFC 3676 implies the sig-sep sequence can only exist once per message
since it separates the body from the signature; however, it is
referenced as a "convention" and not a standard, so there is no
official "proper" way to handle multiple sig-seps (nor a standards

It really is quite simple. You and Falconer are the only TWO in all the
groups I inhabit who post with two signatures. It breaks the clipping of
at least SLRN and GNUS - two of the most mature and powerful readers out
there.

So enough about standards etc - do the decent thing and
stop posting with double signatures. It annoys the hell out of a lot of
people. Trying to warp the RFC into something which supports something
as plainly stupid as a double sig is a waste of your talents IMO.

Philip Potter

Stephen said:
My ISP doesn't have a news server, I'm unwilling to pay for non-binaries
usenet access, and I'm not aware of any other free NNTP server; if
you're aware of one that carries all the groups I'm interested in and
charges nothing, I'll happily move. Teranews has stability problems I'm
not happy with anyways.

<OT>I'm happy with the free service provided by news.aioe.org </OT>

santosh

RFC 3676 implies the sig-sep sequence can only exist once per message
since it separates the body from the signature;
Yes.

Anyone who intentionally puts CLRF DASH DASH SP CRLF in their message
body deserves what they get.
Yes.

Then submit patches if it bugs you. My newsreader is too stupid to
strip _any_ signatures, so I never noticed the problem.

FWIW Knode correctly strips out both your sigs when I hit REPLY. So does
Pan and XNews. I'm surprised GNUS has trouble in this regard. Many
consider it among the most flexible newsreaders.

<snip>

David Thompson

(e-mail address removed) wrote: [in main() ]
char a[] = "123";
char b[] = "abc";
- Running it on AMD64 gives me:
[address difference of 16 bytes]
That is, of course, an issue between your hardware, your OS, and the
version of gcc you are using. There is no reason, as far as C is
concerned, for the addresses of two distinct objects to have any
particular relationship. <snip>

Well, they are required to be unequal, at least when (both) expressed
as char* or void*, as these already are by decay (the former).

And they need to differ (as char*) by at least the size of whichever
is first, as otherwise they would overlap, which is also forbidden.

Beyond that, however, they don't need to differ by any particular
amount, which was your point, nor even to be in any particular order.

Stephen Sprunk

Philip Potter said:
<OT>I'm happy with the free service provided by news.aioe.org </OT>

Thanks for the pointer, and likewise to the person who suggested it
privately. aioe appears to suck less than Teranews.

Charlie Gordon

Stephen Sprunk said:
Thanks for the pointer, and likewise to the person who suggested it
privately. aioe appears to suck less than Teranews.

Except for the Keith Thomson issue: his post do not show up on aioe.org
these days, and neither do they on free.fr nor motzarella.org