Simple html/css question

Simon

Hi everyone,

i have a quick question. Bear in mind that I am not an html wizz and i
don't know an awful lot about css, although I know a little.

I need to achieve the following and I'm wondering what the easiest way
to do it is:

I need to put a footnote at the bottom of a web page. However, I only
want to have the text of the footnote display if a value inserted into
a textbox is outside a specified range. I've already written some
javascript that runs when the values are outside the specified range.

All I need now is advice on how to make a little bit of text appear
and disapear at will.

Can anyone advise me on how to get this particular effect?

Thanks to anyone who can

Kind Regards

Simon Harvey

Els

Simon said:
Hi everyone,

That includes me, so 'hi' :)
i have a quick question. Bear in mind that I am not an html wizz and i
don't know an awful lot about css, although I know a little.

I need to achieve the following and I'm wondering what the easiest way
to do it is:

I need to put a footnote at the bottom of a web page. However, I only
want to have the text of the footnote display if a value inserted into
a textbox is outside a specified range. I've already written some
javascript that runs when the values are outside the specified range.

I don't know anything about javascript, so i'll just answer
the next bit:
All I need now is advice on how to make a little bit of text appear
and disapear at will.

Making text appear and disappear, can be done by using
{display:none;} vs {display:block;}. The text is always
there, just invisible.
I use it on links, making text appear on a pre-defined place
in the document, when hovering over a link, but i don't know
how to combine it with input in a textbox.

Richard

Simon said:
Hi everyone,
i have a quick question. Bear in mind that I am not an html wizz and i
don't know an awful lot about css, although I know a little.
I need to achieve the following and I'm wondering what the easiest way
to do it is:
I need to put a footnote at the bottom of a web page. However, I only
want to have the text of the footnote display if a value inserted into
a textbox is outside a specified range. I've already written some
javascript that runs when the values are outside the specified range.
All I need now is advice on how to make a little bit of text appear
and disapear at will.
Can anyone advise me on how to get this particular effect?
Thanks to anyone who can
Kind Regards
Simon Harvey

You could not do that until the information in the text box is acted upon.
Then your javascript would have to read the information, decide if it's
kosher and process it.
But don't take my word as absolute.
You may find a textbox script at places like www.dynamicdrive.com and other
script sources.

Toby A Inkster

Els said:
Making text appear and disappear, can be done by using
{display:none;} vs {display:block;}. The text is always
there, just invisible.

And in JavaScript this is done like so:

have Javascript enabled in your browser (about 13% of people don't).</p>
<ul>
<li onclick="document.getElementById('myText').style.display='none';">hide</li>
<li onclick="document.getElementById('myText').style.display='block';">show</li>
</ul>

Alexander Cain

Richard said:
You could not do that until the information in the text box is acted upon.
Then your javascript would have to read the information, decide if it's
kosher and process it.
But don't take my word as absolute.

Nobody should ever take your word as absolute, Bullis.

Eric B. Bednarz

[unsurprisingly nothing noteworthy]

Hi scum,

please stay within the thread^Hts that are already collectively
killfiled, will ya? Thanks so much in advance.

Alexander Cain

Eric B. Bednarz said:
[unsurprisingly nothing noteworthy]

Hi scum,

If you want to talk to Bullis do it directly please. Thanks.

please stay within the thread^Hts that are already collectively
killfiled, will ya? Thanks so much in advance.

Use a killfile or shut up yourself. Thanks so much in advance.

Alexander Cain

Eric B. Bednarz said:
Alexander Cain said:
[unsurprisingly nothing noteworthy]

Hi scum,

If you want to talk to Bullis do it directly please. Thanks.

I think even the 10 years old have figured out by now that the bulk of
the threads featuring the topic consist of merely one persona, that's
including the pros and cons. Anyway, congratulations--by the time of
writing I've seen smarter people than me replying.
Use a killfile

For major trolls that's inconvenient and somewhat cumbersome. And
technically subject to limitations. But filtering on disobeyed
followups looks good enough for me. Thanks for the input.

No problem!

Let me set a few follow-ups for you.