Simple JSP fails!!!

Discussion in 'Java' started by kai@icered.com, Aug 8, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Hey guys, I got something strange going on here.

    I am working in a cross platform enviroment. 2 identical servers.
    One Windows, One Unix.

    We test on the Windows box, and then upload to the Unix box. Both
    have identical files.

    Starting yesterday, whenever I upload a file to the Linux box, I get a
    500 error (see below). The JSPs work fine on the Windows box, but
    break on the Unix box. I tried uploading a simple "Hello World" JSP
    to the Unix box, and the JSP failed with the same error as before.

    The strange thing is, I can take a JSP that is working fine on the
    Unix box, download it, and re-upload it, and it fails. Same exact
    JSP. No changes.

    Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

    exception

    org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Unable to compile class for JSP

    org.apache.jasper.compiler.DefaultErrorHandler.javacError(DefaultErrorHandler.java:
    97)

    org.apache.jasper.compiler.ErrorDispatcher.javacError(ErrorDispatcher.java(Inlined
    Compiled Code))

    org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.generateClass(Compiler.java(Compiled
    Code))
    org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:497)
    org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java(Inlined
    Compiled Code))
    org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java(Inlined
    Compiled Code))

    org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.compile(JspCompilationContext.java(Compiled
    Code))

    org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java(Compiled
    Code))

    org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java(Compiled
    Code))
    org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java(Compiled
    Code))
    javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java(Compiled
    Code))

    root cause

    Compile failed; see the compiler error output for details.
    org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Javac.compile(Javac.java:938)
    org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Javac.execute(Javac.java:758)

    org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.generateClass(Compiler.java(Compiled
    Code))
    org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:497)
    org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java(Inlined
    Compiled Code))
    org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java(Inlined
    Compiled Code))

    org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.compile(JspCompilationContext.java(Compiled
    Code))

    org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java(Compiled
    Code))

    org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java(Compiled
    Code))
    org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java(Compiled
    Code))
    javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java(Compiled
    Code))
     
    , Aug 8, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. On Aug 8, 2:45 pm, wrote:
    > Hey guys, I got something strange going on here.
    >
    > I am working in a cross platform enviroment. 2 identical servers.
    > One Windows, One Unix.
    >
    > We test on the Windows box, and then upload to the Unix box. Both
    > have identical files.
    >
    > Starting yesterday, whenever I upload a file to the Linux box, I get a
    > 500 error (see below). The JSPs work fine on the Windows box, but
    > break on the Unix box. I tried uploading a simple "Hello World" JSP
    > to the Unix box, and the JSP failed with the same error as before.
    >
    > The strange thing is, I can take a JSP that is working fine on the
    > Unix box, download it, and re-upload it, and it fails. Same exact
    > JSP. No changes.
    >
    > Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
    >
    > exception
    >
    > org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Unable to compile class for JSP
    >
    > org.apache.jasper.compiler.DefaultErrorHandler.javacError(DefaultErrorHandler.java:
    > 97)
    >
    > org.apache.jasper.compiler.ErrorDispatcher.javacError(ErrorDispatcher.java(Inlined
    > Compiled Code))
    >
    > org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.generateClass(Compiler.java(Compiled
    > Code))
    > org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:497)
    > org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java(Inlined
    > Compiled Code))
    > org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java(Inlined
    > Compiled Code))
    >
    > org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.compile(JspCompilationContext.java(Compiled
    > Code))
    >
    > org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java(Compiled
    > Code))
    >
    > org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java(Compiled
    > Code))
    > org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java(Compiled
    > Code))
    > javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java(Compiled
    > Code))
    >
    > root cause
    >
    > Compile failed; see the compiler error output for details.
    > org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Javac.compile(Javac.java:938)
    > org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Javac.execute(Javac.java:758)
    >
    > org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.generateClass(Compiler.java(Compiled
    > Code))
    > org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:497)
    > org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java(Inlined
    > Compiled Code))
    > org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java(Inlined
    > Compiled Code))
    >
    > org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.compile(JspCompilationContext.java(Compiled
    > Code))
    >
    > org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java(Compiled
    > Code))
    >
    > org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java(Compiled
    > Code))
    > org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java(Compiled
    > Code))
    > javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java(Compiled
    > Code))


    Do you have the compiler output log? That should state the reason for
    compilation failure - if you could paste it here, it'd be great. It
    might (a huge might..till we see the compiler log) be the encoding of
    the files when you xfer them from one box to another. Just wondering -
    why do not you use ant's tomcat task to deploy remotely on both boxes?
    That way you can have 1 identical war on both instead of individual
    JSPs.

    -cheers,
    Manish

    -cheers,
    Manish
     
    Manish Pandit, Aug 8, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Guest

    On Aug 8, 5:06 pm, Manish Pandit <> wrote:
    > On Aug 8, 2:45 pm, wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    > > Hey guys, I got something strange going on here.

    >
    > > I am working in a cross platform enviroment. 2 identical servers.
    > > One Windows, One Unix.

    >
    > > We test on the Windows box, and then upload to the Unix box. Both
    > > have identical files.

    >
    > > Starting yesterday, whenever I upload a file to the Linux box, I get a
    > > 500 error (see below). The JSPs work fine on the Windows box, but
    > > break on the Unix box. I tried uploading a simple "Hello World" JSP
    > > to the Unix box, and the JSP failed with the same error as before.

    >
    > > The strange thing is, I can take a JSP that is working fine on the
    > > Unix box, download it, and re-upload it, and it fails. Same exact
    > > JSP. No changes.

    >
    > > Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

    >
    > > exception

    >
    > > org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Unable to compile class for JSP

    >
    > > org.apache.jasper.compiler.DefaultErrorHandler.javacError(DefaultErrorHandler.java:
    > > 97)

    >
    > > org.apache.jasper.compiler.ErrorDispatcher.javacError(ErrorDispatcher.java(Inlined
    > > Compiled Code))

    >
    > > org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.generateClass(Compiler.java(Compiled
    > > Code))
    > > org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:497)
    > > org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java(Inlined
    > > Compiled Code))
    > > org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java(Inlined
    > > Compiled Code))

    >
    > > org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.compile(JspCompilationContext.java(Compiled
    > > Code))

    >
    > > org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java(Compiled
    > > Code))

    >
    > > org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java(Compiled
    > > Code))
    > > org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java(Compiled
    > > Code))
    > > javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java(Compiled
    > > Code))

    >
    > > root cause

    >
    > > Compile failed; see the compiler error output for details.
    > > org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Javac.compile(Javac.java:938)
    > > org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Javac.execute(Javac.java:758)

    >
    > > org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.generateClass(Compiler.java(Compiled
    > > Code))
    > > org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:497)
    > > org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java(Inlined
    > > Compiled Code))
    > > org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java(Inlined
    > > Compiled Code))

    >
    > > org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.compile(JspCompilationContext.java(Compiled
    > > Code))

    >
    > > org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java(Compiled
    > > Code))

    >
    > > org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java(Compiled
    > > Code))
    > > org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java(Compiled
    > > Code))
    > > javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java(Compiled
    > > Code))

    >
    > Do you have the compiler output log? That should state the reason for
    > compilation failure - if you could paste it here, it'd be great. It
    > might (a huge might..till we see the compiler log) be the encoding of
    > the files when you xfer them from one box to another. Just wondering -
    > why do not you use ant's tomcat task to deploy remotely on both boxes?
    > That way you can have 1 identical war on both instead of individual
    > JSPs.
    >
    > -cheers,
    > Manish
    >
    > -cheers,
    > Manish


    I am fairly new to the Unix enviroment. I have been able to find the
    Apache logs, but am thus far unable to find the complier output log.
    Any suggestions as to where I could find it in a normal instal?

    The Apache log says this:

    2007-08-08 18:14:09 StandardWrapperValve[jsp]: Servlet.service() for
    servlet jsp threw exception
    Compile failed; see the compiler error output for details.
    at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Javac.compile(Javac.java:938)
    at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Javac.execute(Javac.java:758)
    at
    org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.generateClass(Compiler.java(Compiled
    Code))
    at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:
    497)
    at
    org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java(Inlined
    Compiled Code))
    at
    org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java(Inlined
    Compiled Code))
    at
    org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.compile(JspCompilationContext.java(Compiled
    Code))
    at
    org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java(Compiled
    Code))
    at
    org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java(Compiled
    Code))
    at
    org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java(Compiled
    Code))
    at
    javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java(Compiled
    Code))
    at
    org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java(Compiled
    Code))
    at
    org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java(Compiled
    Code))
    at
    org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java(Compiled
    Code))
    at
    org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveContext.java(Compiled
    Code))
    at
    org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java(Compiled
    Code))
    at
    org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invokeInternal(StandardContextValve.java(Compiled
    Code))
    at
    org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java(Compiled
    Code))
    at
    org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveContext.java(Compiled
    Code))
    at
    org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java(Compiled
    Code))
    at
    org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java(Compiled
    Code))
    at
    org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveContext.java(Compiled
    Code))
    at
    org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java(Compiled
    Code))
    at
    org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveContext.java(Compiled
    Code))
    at
    org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java(Compiled
    Code))
    at
    org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java(Compiled
    Code))
    at
    org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveContext.java(Compiled
    Code))
    at
    org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java(Compiled
    Code))
    at
    org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java(Compiled
    Code))
    at
    org.apache.coyote.tomcat5.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java(Compiled
    Code))
    at
    org.apache.jk.server.JkCoyoteHandler.invoke(JkCoyoteHandler.java(Compiled
    Code))
    at
    org.apache.jk.common.HandlerRequest.invoke(HandlerRequest.java(Compiled
    Code))
    at
    org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.invoke(ChannelSocket.java(Compiled
    Code))
    at
    org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.processConnection(ChannelSocket.java(Compiled
    Code))
    at
    org.apache.jk.common.SocketConnection.runIt(ChannelSocket.java(Compiled
    Code))
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool
    $ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java(Compiled Code))
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:570)
     
    , Aug 9, 2007
    #3
  4. On Aug 8, 4:49 pm, wrote:
    > On Aug 8, 5:06 pm, Manish Pandit <> wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > > On Aug 8, 2:45 pm, wrote:

    >
    > > > Hey guys, I got something strange going on here.

    >
    > > > I am working in a cross platform enviroment. 2 identical servers.
    > > > One Windows, One Unix.

    >
    > > > We test on the Windows box, and then upload to the Unix box. Both
    > > > have identical files.

    >
    > > > Starting yesterday, whenever I upload a file to the Linux box, I get a
    > > > 500 error (see below). The JSPs work fine on the Windows box, but
    > > > break on the Unix box. I tried uploading a simple "Hello World" JSP
    > > > to the Unix box, and the JSP failed with the same error as before.

    >
    > > > The strange thing is, I can take a JSP that is working fine on the
    > > > Unix box, download it, and re-upload it, and it fails. Same exact
    > > > JSP. No changes.

    >
    > > > Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

    >
    > > > exception

    >
    > > > org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Unable to compile class for JSP

    >
    > > > org.apache.jasper.compiler.DefaultErrorHandler.javacError(DefaultErrorHandl­er.java:
    > > > 97)

    >
    > > > org.apache.jasper.compiler.ErrorDispatcher.javacError(ErrorDispatcher..java(­Inlined
    > > > Compiled Code))

    >
    > > > org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.generateClass(Compiler.java(Compiled
    > > > Code))
    > > > org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:497)
    > > > org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java(Inlined
    > > > Compiled Code))
    > > > org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java(Inlined
    > > > Compiled Code))

    >
    > > > org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.compile(JspCompilationContext..java(­Compiled
    > > > Code))

    >
    > > > org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper..java(­Compiled
    > > > Code))

    >
    > > > org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java(Compile­d
    > > > Code))
    > > > org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java(Compiled
    > > > Code))
    > > > javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java(Compiled
    > > > Code))

    >
    > > > root cause

    >
    > > > Compile failed; see the compiler error output for details.
    > > > org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Javac.compile(Javac.java:938)
    > > > org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Javac.execute(Javac.java:758)

    >
    > > > org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.generateClass(Compiler.java(Compiled
    > > > Code))
    > > > org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:497)
    > > > org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java(Inlined
    > > > Compiled Code))
    > > > org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java(Inlined
    > > > Compiled Code))

    >
    > > > org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.compile(JspCompilationContext..java(­Compiled
    > > > Code))

    >
    > > > org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper..java(­Compiled
    > > > Code))

    >
    > > > org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java(Compile­d
    > > > Code))
    > > > org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java(Compiled
    > > > Code))
    > > > javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java(Compiled
    > > > Code))

    >
    > > Do you have the compiler output log? That should state the reason for
    > > compilation failure - if you could paste it here, it'd be great. It
    > > might (a huge might..till we see the compiler log) be the encoding of
    > > the files when you xfer them from one box to another. Just wondering -
    > > why do not you use ant's tomcat task to deploy remotely on both boxes?
    > > That way you can have 1 identical war on both instead of individual
    > > JSPs.

    >
    > > -cheers,
    > > Manish

    >
    > > -cheers,
    > > Manish

    >
    > I am fairly new to the Unix enviroment. I have been able to find the
    > Apache logs, but am thus far unable to find the complier output log.
    > Any suggestions as to where I could find it in a normal instal?
    >
    > The Apache log says this:
    >
    > 2007-08-08 18:14:09 StandardWrapperValve[jsp]: Servlet.service() for
    > servlet jsp threw exception
    > Compile failed; see the compiler error output for details.
    > at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Javac.compile(Javac.java:938)
    > at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Javac.execute(Javac.java:758)
    > at
    > org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.generateClass(Compiler.java(Compiled
    > Code))
    > at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:
    > 497)
    > at
    > org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java(Inlined
    > Compiled Code))
    > at
    > org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java(Inlined
    > Compiled Code))
    > at
    > org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.compile(JspCompilationContext.java(­Compiled
    > Code))
    > at
    > org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java(­Compiled
    > Code))
    > at
    > org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java(Compile­d
    > Code))
    > at
    > org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java(Compiled
    > Code))
    > at
    > javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java(Compiled
    > Code))
    > at
    > org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(Applicatio­nFilterChain.java(Compiled
    > Code))
    > at
    > org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterC­hain.java(Compiled
    > Code))
    > at
    > org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve..j­ava(Compiled
    > Code))
    > at
    > org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveConte­xt.java(Compiled
    > Code))
    > at
    > org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java(Comp­iled
    > Code))
    > at
    > org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invokeInternal(StandardContex­tValve.java(Compiled
    > Code))
    > at
    > org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve..j­ava(Compiled
    > Code))
    > at
    > org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveConte­xt.java(Compiled
    > Code))
    > at
    > org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java(Comp­iled
    > Code))
    > at
    > org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java(Co­mpiled
    > Code))
    > at
    > org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveConte­xt.java(Compiled
    > Code))
    > at
    > org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java(Co­mpiled
    > Code))
    > at
    > org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveConte­xt.java(Compiled
    > Code))
    > at
    > org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java(Comp­iled
    > Code))
    > at
    > org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.jav­a(Compiled
    > Code))
    > at
    > org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveConte­xt.java(Compiled
    > Code))
    > at
    > org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java(Comp­iled
    > Code))
    > at
    > org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java(Compiled
    > Code))
    > at
    > org.apache.coyote.tomcat5.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java(Compiled
    > Code))
    > at
    > org.apache.jk.server.JkCoyoteHandler.invoke(JkCoyoteHandler.java(Compiled
    > Code))
    > at
    > org.apache.jk.common.HandlerRequest.invoke(HandlerRequest.java(Compiled
    > Code))
    > at
    > org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.invoke(ChannelSocket.java(Compiled
    > Code))
    > at
    > org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.processConnection(ChannelSocket.java(Com­piled
    > Code))
    > at
    > org.apache.jk.common.SocketConnection.runIt(ChannelSocket.java(Compiled
    > Code))
    > at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool
    > $ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java(Compiled Code))
    > at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:570)- Hide quoted text -
    >
    > - Show quoted text -


    Normally the compiler output is a part of console output, just like it
    spews out deprecation warnings. I ran ant just now to verify, and was
    able to see 'cannot find symbol' kind of compile-time errors right
    there on the console.

    This just struck me (as you mentioned it strated messing up from
    yesterday) - Can you check your Linux box to see if it is not full?

    $ df

    df should give you the usage - if available is 0 or used is 100%, that
    is what the problem could be.

    -cheers,
    Manish
     
    Manish Pandit, Aug 9, 2007
    #4
  5. wrote:

    > Hey guys, I got something strange going on here.
    >
    > I am working in a cross platform enviroment. 2 identical servers.
    > One Windows, One Unix.
    >
    > We test on the Windows box, and then upload to the Unix box. Both
    > have identical files.
    >
    > Starting yesterday, whenever I upload a file to the Linux box, I get a
    > 500 error (see below). The JSPs work fine on the Windows box, but
    > break on the Unix box. I tried uploading a simple "Hello World" JSP
    > to the Unix box, and the JSP failed with the same error as before.
    >
    > The strange thing is, I can take a JSP that is working fine on the
    > Unix box, download it, and re-upload it, and it fails. Same exact
    > JSP. No changes.
    >
    > Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
    >


    Could it be the good ole CR/LF problem between DOS - *NIX? Try running
    the jsp through dos2unix or similar tool.

    --
    Sabine Dinis Blochberger

    Op3racional
    www.op3racional.eu
     
    Sabine Dinis Blochberger, Aug 9, 2007
    #5
  6. Nigel Wade Guest

    wrote:


    >
    > I am fairly new to the Unix enviroment. I have been able to find the
    > Apache logs, but am thus far unable to find the complier output log.
    > Any suggestions as to where I could find it in a normal instal?
    >


    You need to determine where your Tomcat keeps its log files. That will depend on
    how your Tomcat installation was performed. Was it a package which came as part
    of the Linux distro you are using? The location of the log files might be a
    configuration option during the Tomcat setup.

    One place you might look is /var/log. That is the most common place for daemons
    to store their log files. See if there is anything illuminating in there, such
    as a Tomcat or Catalina log file, or a directory containing logfiles.

    --
    Nigel Wade, System Administrator, Space Plasma Physics Group,
    University of Leicester, Leicester, LE1 7RH, UK
    E-mail :
    Phone : +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555
     
    Nigel Wade, Aug 9, 2007
    #6
  7. Lew Guest

    wrote:
    >> I am fairly new to the Unix enviroment. I have been able to find the
    >> Apache logs, but am thus far unable to find the complier output log.
    >> Any suggestions as to where I could find it in a normal instal?


    Nigel Wade wrote:
    > You need to determine where your Tomcat keeps its log files. That will depend on
    > how your Tomcat installation was performed. Was it a package which came as part
    > of the Linux distro you are using? The location of the log files might be a
    > configuration option during the Tomcat setup.
    >
    > One place you might look is /var/log. That is the most common place for daemons
    > to store their log files. See if there is anything illuminating in there, such
    > as a Tomcat or Catalina log file, or a directory containing logfiles.


    On my Linux box the Tomcat logs are in ${CATALINA_HOME}/logs/.

    --
    Lew
     
    Lew, Aug 9, 2007
    #7
  8. Nigel Wade Guest

    Lew wrote:

    > wrote:
    >>> I am fairly new to the Unix enviroment. I have been able to find the
    >>> Apache logs, but am thus far unable to find the complier output log.
    >>> Any suggestions as to where I could find it in a normal instal?

    >
    > Nigel Wade wrote:
    >> You need to determine where your Tomcat keeps its log files. That will depend

    on
    >> how your Tomcat installation was performed. Was it a package which came as

    part
    >> of the Linux distro you are using? The location of the log files might be a
    >> configuration option during the Tomcat setup.
    >>
    >> One place you might look is /var/log. That is the most common place for

    daemons
    >> to store their log files. See if there is anything illuminating in there,

    such
    >> as a Tomcat or Catalina log file, or a directory containing logfiles.

    >
    > On my Linux box the Tomcat logs are in ${CATALINA_HOME}/logs/.
    >


    That presupposes you know the value of CATALINA_HOME.

    Unless you are actually logged in as the tomcat user that env. variable is
    probably not set. The OP might not know where on their system its value could
    be obtained from.

    --
    Nigel Wade, System Administrator, Space Plasma Physics Group,
    University of Leicester, Leicester, LE1 7RH, UK
    E-mail :
    Phone : +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555
     
    Nigel Wade, Aug 9, 2007
    #8
  9. Guest

    I did a search for CATILINA_HOME on the Unix box.

    echo $CATALINA_HOME turns up nothing. Does that mean that
    CATALINA_HOME somehow became deleted?
     
    , Aug 9, 2007
    #9
  10. Roedy Green Guest

    >I am working in a cross platform enviroment. 2 identical servers.
    >One Windows, One Unix.

    Have you run any minimal test JSP on both servers yet? You may have
    a general config error, nothing to do with your particular servlet.
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    The Java Glossary
    http://mindprod.com
     
    Roedy Green, Aug 9, 2007
    #10
  11. On Aug 9, 10:22 am, wrote:
    > I did a search for CATILINA_HOME on the Unix box.
    >
    > echo $CATALINA_HOME turns up nothing. Does that mean that
    > CATALINA_HOME somehow became deleted?


    It is not deleted, it is just not set. The logs (assuming its linux)
    should be in /var/log/tomcat5. However, the log will pretty much have
    what you see in the console anyway.

    Did you get a chance to check for the free space left on the drive?

    -cheers,
    Manish
     
    Manish Pandit, Aug 9, 2007
    #11
  12. Guest

    Manish - Sorry I forgot to mention that, yes, I checked the
    freespace. I am at 34% used, so I don't think that is the problem.

    I did try a test JSP. A simple "Hello World" test. It too failed
    with the same error.

    I have went ahead and set the CATALINA_HOME using the "export"
    command, and echo $CATALINA_HOME now returns : /opt/jakarta/jakarta-
    tomcat-5.0.28

    It did not fix the problem, however I have not restarted Tomcat out of
    fear of breaking all my already compiled JSPs. Is a restart of Tomcat
    necessary after setting cat_home???

    Thanks for the help guys!
     
    , Aug 9, 2007
    #12
  13. Guest

    Manish - Sorry I forgot to mention that, yes, I checked the
    freespace. I am at 34% used, so I don't think that is the problem.

    I did try a test JSP. A simple "Hello World" test. It too failed
    with the same error.

    I have went ahead and set the CATALINA_HOME using the "export"
    command, and echo $CATALINA_HOME now returns : /opt/jakarta/jakarta-
    tomcat-5.0.28

    It did not fix the problem, however I have not restarted Tomcat out of
    fear of breaking all my already compiled JSPs. Is a restart of Tomcat
    necessary after setting cat_home???

    Thanks for the help guys!
     
    , Aug 9, 2007
    #13
  14. Lew Guest

    wrote:
    > Manish - Sorry I forgot to mention that, yes, I checked the
    > freespace. I am at 34% used, so I don't think that is the problem.
    >
    > I did try a test JSP. A simple "Hello World" test. It too failed
    > with the same error.
    >
    > I have went ahead and set the CATALINA_HOME using the "export"
    > command, and echo $CATALINA_HOME now returns : /opt/jakarta/jakarta-
    > tomcat-5.0.28
    >
    > It did not fix the problem, however I have not restarted Tomcat out of
    > fear of breaking all my already compiled JSPs. Is a restart of Tomcat
    > necessary after setting cat_home [sic] ???


    You only need one question mark to indicate a question.

    Setting CATALINA_HOME has nothing to do with fixing your problem. Knowing
    where Tomcat is installed has everything to do with locating the log files.

    My Tomcat places its log files in a subdirectory of its own installation
    directory, not in /var/log/anywhere. Yours might also.

    By convention one refers to the installation location as $CATALINA_HOME, on
    the assumption that someone doing maintenance on Tomcat (such as looking to
    the log files) would know where their installation is and that the speaker
    doesn't. You're supposed to translate that envar reference to the appropriate
    installation location at your server. There was no advice to go setting that
    variable.

    If you don't even know where Tomcat is, you'll have serious difficulties
    trying to fix your problem.

    Again, Tomcat writes log files to its own logs/ subdirectory, not necessarily
    to /var/log/.

    --
    Lew
     
    Lew, Aug 9, 2007
    #14
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. John Saunders
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    681
    John Saunders
    Nov 18, 2003
  2. Ronald Fischer

    JSP silently fails to compile

    Ronald Fischer, Oct 13, 2003, in forum: Java
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    533
    John C. Bollinger
    Oct 21, 2003
  3. Replies:
    0
    Views:
    4,399
  4. Replies:
    2
    Views:
    300
    Grant Wagner
    Dec 23, 2004
  5. dayo
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    347
    Ilya Zakharevich
    Dec 16, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page