Simple Program Laucher Which Runs Off Of Cd

Discussion in 'C++' started by javaBeginner, Jul 2, 2003.

  1. javaBeginner

    javaBeginner Guest

    I need to create a simple program launcher which runs off of cd and
    launches
    a program off of the cd. It must also check the values in an ini
    file.
    The launcher program must run on all versions of Windows.

    I have read that C++ and Delphi are the only two languages which could
    reliably accomplish this task. I have tried Delphi and it worked well
    but my employer does not want to pay Borland's license fee.

    I know nothing about C++ but I am familiar with Java.

    Does anyone have sample C++ code which shows how to create a single
    windows form with buttons on it? I also need sample code for
    launching applications and for reading an ini file.

    Does anyone know of any IDEs (besides Borland C++) or languages which
    could help me accomplish this task?

    Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    javaBeginner, Jul 2, 2003

  2. javaBeginner

    Howard Guest

    "javaBeginner" <> wrote in message
    > I have read that C++ and Delphi are the only two languages which could
    > reliably accomplish this task. I have tried Delphi and it worked well
    > but my employer does not want to pay Borland's license fee.

    What Borland license fee? If you've paid for the Delphi compiler (any
    version except the free one), then you don't have to pay Borland anything to
    be able sell your product, as long as you aren't distributing their source
    code or any license-restricted server technologies (like MIDAS used to be).
    You might want to check that license agreement again.

    -Howard
    Howard, Jul 3, 2003

  3. (javaBeginner) wrote in message news:<>...
    > I need to create a simple program launcher which runs off of cd and
    > launches a program off of the cd. It must also check the values
    > in an ini file. The launcher program must run on all versions of Windows.

    That's going to be hard, the 16-bit versions of Windows work quite
    differently. You need a really old Windows 3.11 vintage compiler.
    It's a lot easier if you restrict youself to Win32 (ie Win95 and later)

    > I have read that C++ and Delphi are the only two languages which could
    > reliably accomplish this task. I have tried Delphi and it worked well
    > but my employer does not want to pay Borland's license fee.

    Give up. Any other language is going to be as expensive, C++ included,
    once development costs are included. Even a day's worth of salary is
    likely to cost more.

    > Does anyone have sample C++ code which shows how to create a single
    > windows form with buttons on it? I also need sample code for
    > launching applications and for reading an ini file.

    C++ isn't where your problem is. Any book on Borland C++ explains
    how to do it with Borland, any Visual C++ book explains how to do
    this with Microsoft. It's not possible in standard C++, although
    a simple text interface would be possible. In that case any
    standard C++ book (ie without "Borland" or "Visual" or other brand
    in its name) should do. See the booklist @ www.accu.org for ratings.

    > Does anyone know of any IDEs (besides Borland C++) or languages which
    > could help me accomplish this task?

    A large number. It's a fairly easy task in most C++ variants, there
    is just no Standard for GUIs in C++. This group can't help you there
    - check vendors' groups for that.

    Regards,
    --
    Michiel Salters