Simple script to make .png thumbnails from .zip archive...

K P S

Hi.
I'm looking for a small script that will take a .zip archive and pull
the first .jpg from the archive and convert it to a .png.

The reason for this is I want to have tuhmbnails for these archives in
nautilus under gnome. I would like something similar to the following
code, which will pull a thumbnail from an openoffice.org (oasis)
document. What I want is a little more involved, I guess, since I
don't know the name of the file (for the zip.read command), and I need
to convert the file from .jpg to .png once I get it. Any help would be
appreciated. Including a pointer to a web page of a manual with
examples. :)

#!/usr/bin/python

import zipfile
import sys
import gnomevfs

inURL=gnomevfs.get_local_path_from_uri(sys.argv[1])
outURL=sys.argv[2]

zip=zipfile.ZipFile(inURL,mode="r")
picture=zip.read("Thumbnails/thumbnail.png")
thumbnail=open(outURL,"w")
thumbnail.write(picture)
thumbnail.write("/n")
zip.close()
thumbnail.close()

hdante

Hi,

I don't know zipfile by heart, but python official documentation is
always good ( docs.python.org ). You need a loop in the file list like
this:

for file in zip:
process(file)

Unfortunatelly, there are too many ways to create a thumbnail from an
image. I'll cite one, using the "python image" external module, that
I've found to be very easy:

import Image
def process(file):
try:
image = Image.open(file)
image.thumbnail ((128,128), Image.ANTIALIAS)
image.save (file + '.thumb.png')
except:
print 'Skipping file', file

Links:
http://docs.python.org/lib/lib.html - Python Library Reference
http://www.pythonware.com/library/pil/handbook/image.htm - The Image
Module

Scott David Daniels

hdante said:
.... there are too many ways to create a thumbnail from an
image. I'll cite one, using the "python image" external module, that
I've found to be very easy:

import Image
def process(file):
try:
image = Image.open(file)
image.thumbnail ((128,128), Image.ANTIALIAS)
image.save (file + '.thumb.png')
except:
print 'Skipping file', file

Links:
http://docs.python.org/lib/lib.html - Python Library Reference
http://www.pythonware.com/library/pil/handbook/image.htm - The Image
Module

That, by the way, is the "PIL" library that you'll see a lot about --
The Python Imaging Library that the effbot is justly proud of. You
won't do better than that.

--Scott David Daniels
(e-mail address removed)

K P S

Thanks a lot.
I'm really new to python, and haven't coded in over a decade, so
please be patient. :)

I'm able to read a .jpg from a .zip archive, but can't seem to
manipulate it. If I do this:

zip=zipfile.ZipFile(inURL,mode="r")
picture=zip.read("00.jpg")

I get the image, but it is of "type" ZipFile. How can I change it to
type Image? Or am I thinking about this in the wrong way? I would
like to follow this with something like:

picture.thumbnail((128, 128), Image.ANTIALIAS)

But obviously I can't do this directly. What am I missing?
[...]

Ant

Try adapting the other posters example with something like:

import Image, StringIO
zip=zipfile.ZipFile(inURL,mode="r")
picture=zip.read("00.jpg")
image = Image.open(StringIO(picture))
image.thumbnail ((128,128), Image.ANTIALIAS)
image.save (file + '.thumb.png')

I haven't tested it, but something like this should work.

Fredrik Lundh

K said:
I'm able to read a .jpg from a .zip archive, but can't seem to
manipulate it. If I do this:

zip=zipfile.ZipFile(inURL,mode="r")
picture=zip.read("00.jpg")

I get the image, but it is of "type" ZipFile.

string, more likely (zip is a ZipFile object, picture is a string of
bytes). PIL expects a file name or a file object, so you need to use
the StringIO adapter:

picture = zip.read(name) # returns a string
file = StringIO.StringIO(picture) # wrap string in file-like object
image = Image.open(file) # create image object from file-like object

</F>

K P S

Thanks everyone.

One last thing (I hope).

How can I get the name of just the first file in a zipfile? I see
routines to list all the files in a zip archive, but I don't see any to
list only the first, or only the second, etc. It doesn't look like
zipfile is storing info in a useful array that I can hash into. Or is
it?

Actually, I would like to get the name of the first file with a .jpg
extension, if that's not asking too much. :)

zip=zipfile.ZipFile("text.zip",mode="r")
picture=zip.read(zip.namelist(0))

This doesn't seem to work. :-(

hdante

K said:
Thanks everyone.
routines to list all the files in a zip archive, but I don't see any to
list only the first, or only the second, etc. It doesn't look like

If you can list all the files, then you can list only the first. :)
Don't worry about python internal allocation procedures. It will try to
make things in an efficient way. Just make sure your code looks cool.
;-)
zip=zipfile.ZipFile("text.zip",mode="r")
picture=zip.read(zip.namelist(0))

That's because you're using the wrong syntax. -> zip.namelist()[0]

However, I bet that your first file in the zip is not a jpeg file. Do
this, instead:

zip = zipfile.ZipFile('text.zip')
jpeglist = [x for x in zip.namelist() if '.jp' in x]
try:
picture = zip.read(jpeglist[0])
except IndexError:
print 'No jpeg found'

K P S

Thanks a lot! This is what I ended up with.
(I would like to get rar archive support, but browsing the web it looks
like rar support isn't in any python library (yet)) :-( Anyway, I was
able to use the below code unchanged to create thumbnails in nautilus
based on the first .jpg file in a .zip archive.

Is there any rar support module in python?

Thanks again.

#!/usr/bin/python

import zipfile
import sys
import gnomevfs
import Image
import StringIO

inURL=gnomevfs.get_local_path_from_uri(sys.argv[1])
outURL=sys.argv[2]

zip=zipfile.ZipFile(inURL,mode="r")
jpeglist=[x for x in zip.namelist() if '.jp' in x]
try:
picture=zip.read(jpeglist[0])
except IndexError:
print 'No jpeg found'

zip.close() #close the file, since we no longer have need of it
image = Image.open(StringIO.StringIO(picture)) # create image object
from file-like object
image.thumbnail((128,128),Image.ANTIALIAS) #create the thumbnail
image.save (outURL, "PNG") #output the file in the proper format