simple(?) xml/xsl problem with xml from sql query

Discussion in 'XML' started by dSchwartz, Mar 5, 2004.

  1. dSchwartz

    dSchwartz Guest

    I'm creating xml files from a dataset:
    myDataSet.WriteXml(m_XmlFile, XmlWriteMode.IgnoreSchema);

    and saving them to disk. Then i want to use the Xml control to format
    this xml with xsl stylesheet. here is part of my xml file created by
    the line above:

    <?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes" ?>
    <NewDataSet>
    <articles>
    <XML_F52E2B61-18A1-11d1-B105-0080F4...>
    <sm_articles article_id="2" article_title="xxxx" ... />
    <sm_articles article_id="3" article_title="yyyy" ... />
    </XML_F52E.......>
    </articles>
    </NewDataSet>

    Now in my xslt i can do a for-each select="//articles" and it will
    give me one item, but i'm not able to get past the <XML_.... tag. If
    i try select="//sm_articles" i don't get errors, like its returning an
    empty node.

    so my question is what is the <XML_.... tag all about and how do i get
    past it? If i manually take that tag out then my Xml control works
    fine with my xsl stylesheet, but i have to build these xml files on
    the fly from sql server.

    Thanks for your time!
    dSchwartz, Mar 5, 2004

  2. dSchwartz

    Bryant Likes Guest

    "dSchwartz" <> wrote in message
    > I'm creating xml files from a dataset:
    > myDataSet.WriteXml(m_XmlFile, XmlWriteMode.IgnoreSchema);

    Where are you getting the XML in the DataSet from? That looks like the
    column header that is returned when you run a FOR XML Query.

    --
    Bryant
    Bryant Likes, Mar 6, 2004