Simply trying to get a single parameter

Rosebud

Hi, I am having trouble accessing the first url parameter using jsp.

Here is the script I am using:

<head>
<title></title>
<SCRIPT id="clientEventHandlersJS" language="javascript">
function Home_onclick()
{
request.getParameter("locale")
parent.main.location="HomeInfoMain.htm"
}

function Reports_onclick()
{
parent.main.location="FreeReports.shtml"
}

function Market_onclick()
{
parent.main.location="MarketConditions.htm"
}

</SCRIPT>

All I want to know is the value of the url parameter that was entered.
Assumption is the entry would be www.xxxxx.com?locale=xxxx

I want the value xxxx entered above. But, I keep getting an error
saying request is undefined. A bit of help with would be appreciated.