Simulation library in Python

Samir Patel

For last couple of weeks, I was doing lot of research
on various simulation libraries. Only one I find in
python is http://simpy.sourceforge.net. It is very
powerful, but it seems that it does not have any
active development. I am sure there are more than
that. Where are they?

If one wants to create a new simulation program, what
are different packages to use:
simulation event list - priority queue?
simulation model creation (preferable data flow) -
dia, Pyut, OGL
reports - http://reportlab.com
http://docutils.sourceforge.net/
graph -
http://navi.picogui.org/svn/misc/trunk/rtgraph/
http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/
animation - Blender?, VTK, VPython
cad - http://pythoncad.sf.net
GIS - ?
Storage - ZODB
Import/Export - ?

I am interested in creating a professional level
simulation model in Python, so any help regarding this
will be very much appriciated.

http://photos.yahoo.com/

John J. Lee

Samir Patel said:
If one wants to create a new simulation program, what
are different packages to use: [...]
simulation model creation (preferable data flow) -
dia, Pyut, OGL

sketch, maybe.

[...]

*Lots* more. More than you can shake a stick at... But, when I was
using them, I never found any free graph plotting libraries that did
everything I wanted (Python or no Python). It's a hard thing to do
well.

animation - Blender?, VTK, VPython
Pygame.

[...]
GIS - ?

I think Bernhard Herzog has released some free GIS code in Python
recently. And IIRC, Fredrik Lundh sells GIS code of some kind.

Storage - ZODB

xsdb (very new, though). Plus of course, all the usual relational
suspects, and Gadfly, Sleepycat BSDDB (in standard library), etc.

Import/Export - ?

- of what?

John

LD Whitley

Samir said:
I am interested in creating a professional level
simulation model in Python, so any help regarding this
will be very much appriciated.

I think Simpy is about as close as you're going to come - it's the best
I've seen in Python. I haven't tracked it lately but if you send a note
to the developers I think that you'll find they're still active.

Personally, I (and the group of which I'm a member) are doing our
modeling in C++/CSim. It's mostly a speed of simulation issue but I
have to admit that I haven't done any comparisons between the C++/CSim
and Simpy. I'm just assuming that the compiled nature of C++ and the
interpreted nature of Python will give the edge to C++. Our models can
run for a long time so speed of execution is important. If anyone has
information to the contrary, I'm all ears. (or eyeballs, or something)

Larry