Simulation / modelling lib?

david

Well, another semester rears its ugly head, with amongst other horrors a
simulation / modelling assignment in store.

So here I am, wondering whether there's a Ruby library for discrete syste=
m model
simulation, or whether I'm stuck with either

a) Using the C++ library some professor coded gods know when, which invol=
ves all
the joy of not having a GC helping.

Or, more likely:

b) Translating the C++ source of the original library into Ruby.

Does anyone know about a lib I could use, or would the eventual product o=
f my
porting be of any interest to the general populace? Since the original C+=
+
library is distributed rather benevolently, there shouldn't be problems g=
etting
the permission to release the port.

Tom Copeland

b) Translating the C++ source of the original library into Ruby.

Does anyone know about a lib I could use, or would the eventual product of my
porting be of any interest to the general populace?

Sounds nifty, and I know a good place for hosting such a port:

http://rubyforge.org/

Yours,

Tom

Joel VanderWerf

Well, another semester rears its ugly head, with amongst other horrors a
simulation / modelling assignment in store.

So here I am, wondering whether there's a Ruby library for discrete system model
simulation, or whether I'm stuck with either

a) Using the C++ library some professor coded gods know when, which involves all
the joy of not having a GC helping.

Or, more likely:

b) Translating the C++ source of the original library into Ruby.

Does anyone know about a lib I could use, or would the eventual product of my
porting be of any interest to the general populace? Since the original C++
library is distributed rather benevolently, there shouldn't be problems getting
the permission to release the port.

Can you tell us a little more about the existing library? What kind of
semantics does it have? What sort of models do you need to develop?

umitanuki

Hi,

I guess simulation / modelling mean 'numeric simulations' such as FEM or
CFD.
I also hope that we could code those libraries with Ruby.
And what about NArray??

http://www.ir.isas.ac.jp/~masa/ruby/index-e.html

Ruby is very powerful and easy to code,
but the most important things to worry are:
1) speed
2) GUI
for 1), parallel calculation or grid computing is one of solutions.
And for 2), pre/post system are more difficult than those like C++ and Java.

umitanuki