Simultaneous requests using LWP

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by prakash, Oct 25, 2005.

  1. prakash

    prakash Guest

    Hi,

    I found a web resource stating that LWP is unable to handle multiple
    simultaneous requests in the bugs section.

    http://perl.active-venture.com/lib/LWP.html

    I have a perl code that makes a single HTTP call using LWP to a remote
    server, but many separate instances of that code may run at the same
    time. Ideally speaking multiple simultaneous requests are made from a
    server to another, but through different running instances of the perl
    code using LWP.

    My question:

    1. Is the above scenario a case that will fail in LWP?
    2. What do these resources mean by Simultaneous requests: Do they mean
    requests from a single instance or does it include requests from
    multiple instances also.
    3. Is there any web resources explaining such a factor?

    I would greatly appreciate any idea/help in this regard.

    Thanks,
    Prakash
    prakash, Oct 25, 2005

  2. prakash

    J. Gleixner Guest

    prakash wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I found a web resource stating that LWP is unable to handle multiple
    > simultaneous requests in the bugs section.
    >
    > http://perl.active-venture.com/lib/LWP.html
    >
    > I have a perl code that makes a single HTTP call using LWP to a remote
    > server, but many separate instances of that code may run at the same
    > time. Ideally speaking multiple simultaneous requests are made from a
    > server to another, but through different running instances of the perl
    > code using LWP.
    >
    > My question:
    >
    > 1. Is the above scenario a case that will fail in LWP?

    Try it and see. No need to ask others what your program will or will
    not do, when you can quickly test it.

    > 2. What do these resources mean by Simultaneous requests: Do they mean
    > requests from a single instance or does it include requests from
    > multiple instances also.

    Multiple concurrent connections from the same process.

    > 3. Is there any web resources explaining such a factor?
    >
    > I would greatly appreciate any idea/help in this regard.

    It doesn't seem like you need it, however you might want to look at
    LWP::parallel::UserAgent, if you want to actually do things in parallel.

    Also see Randal's articles:
    http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/WebTechniques/col27.html
    http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/WebTechniques/col28.html
    J. Gleixner, Oct 25, 2005