Single Sign On Web Site

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Rodney Lane, Nov 17, 2003.

  1. Rodney Lane

    Rodney Lane Guest

    Hi

    I am investigating the possibility writing an application which uses single
    sign on with ASP.Net / VB.Net and was wondering if anyone has endeavoured to
    do this yet.

    I will most likely be using Site Minder as the single sign on engine, and
    building the ASP.Net front end to drive it.

    Does anyone know where I can find some code on how to manipulate standard
    LDAP through vb.net / ASP.Net, as siteminder (to the est of my knowledge)
    uses LDAP only.

    Also, does anyone have a better idea of how I should do this - if there is a
    tried and tested method of implementing single sign on - please let me know
    where to find it so that I can investigate.

    Many thanks

    Rodney Lane.

    Rodney Lane, Nov 17, 2003

  2. "Rodney Lane" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I am investigating the possibility writing an application which uses

    single
    > sign on with ASP.Net / VB.Net and was wondering if anyone has endeavoured

    > do this yet.
    >
    > I will most likely be using Site Minder as the single sign on engine, and
    > building the ASP.Net front end to drive it.
    >
    > Does anyone know where I can find some code on how to manipulate standard
    > LDAP through vb.net / ASP.Net, as siteminder (to the est of my knowledge)
    > uses LDAP only.
    >
    > Also, does anyone have a better idea of how I should do this - if there is

    > tried and tested method of implementing single sign on - please let me

    know
    > where to find it so that I can investigate.

    You can use Forms Authentication. If you have several sites within the same
    domain, and if they keep their <machineKey> settings the same, and use Forms
    Authentication cookies with the same name, path and domain, then signing
    into one site will effectively sign into them all.

    Forms Authentication doesn't care whether you validate your users through
    LDAP, a database, or by pure guessing.
    --
    John Saunders
    John.Saunders at SurfControl.com