Site visitors email address's required

Al Sashun

Hi There,
I'm not sure if this is the right place, but I'm after a script or program
that will provide me with site visitors email address's,
the only reason being my clients would like to see who their potential
customers are & whose just being nosey.
If anyone can help could you please mail me if possible.

Thanks for your time !

email: (e-mail address removed)

Grant Wagner

Al said:
Hi There,
I'm not sure if this is the right place, but I'm after a script or program
that will provide me with site visitors email address's,
the only reason being my clients would like to see who their potential
customers are & whose just being nosey.
If anyone can help could you please mail me if possible.

Thanks for your time !

email: (e-mail address removed)

You can not retrieve a visitor's e-mail address using client-side JavaScript
in the default security environment.

If you want to know a visitor's e-mail address, you'll have to ask them.

--
| Grant Wagner <[email protected]>

*

*

* Tips for upgrading JavaScript for Netscape 6/7 and Mozilla

kaeli

It is unlikely that most browsers know their user's e-mail address so it
probably would not be available in any security environment.

Especially if the user hasn't set up a default e-mail client and uses
hotmail or yahoo instead.
They won't tell for fear of being spammed.

That's for sure. When sites ask me important info, I usually lie
(assuming I am not getting something shipped to my house or something).
Case in point - a newsite I went to recently asked me for personal info
just to view a news story (I'm sure they were trying to target for
adverts). There was no option to not give the info, including D.O.B. and
gender, etc. So, I decided I was a guy born in New York in 1901. *G*

Note to designers: stop trying to make people enter personal info like
name, age, email, or other personally identifying info. We just lie
anyway.

~kaeli~
Black holes were created when God divided by 0.
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion
that life is serious.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Richard Cornford

... . There was no option to not give the info, including D.O.B.
and gender, etc. So, I decided I was a guy born in New York
in 1901. *G*

In the UK, if you live that long you qualify for kickbacks from the
queen.
Note to designers: stop trying to make people enter personal
info like name, age, email, or other personally identifying info.
We just lie anyway.

I would highly recommend lying in response to any and all market
research type enquiries. The last thing we need is the people who do
market research getting the impression that their results are accurate;
people might start acting on them.

Richard.

Richard Cornford

It's my standard disclaimer, because whenever I make a
statement like "client-side JavaScript has no access to the
visitor's e-mail address", someone posts elaborate code
using WSH to retrieve the e-mail address out of the
Registry, or read prefs.js. ...
<snip>

Yes, someone always does, then the OP goes off and tries it, only to
discovers that it doesn't work in practice and comes back to ask why
not. To be told that the security restrictions sill apply.

But as Kaeli says, hotmail (and similar) will be unknown to any browser
and I don't think that Internet café, public library and University
browsers could be expected to reveal much either.

... , I figure that the site designer can figure out for themselves
that asking for e-mail addresses own't work for a variety of
reasons.
<snip>

Sorry, I couldn't resist saying it. Though the obvious futility doesn't
seem to stop some site designers from asking for e-mail addresses
anyway.

Richard.