Size and concurrency limits on Jet 4.0 dB engine?

Joe Van Meer

Hi there,

I hear access has a limit of 10-15 concurrent users...although I have never
run into probs.

Cheers, Joe

Charlie@CBFC

Hi:

I have chosen to use Jet 4.0 db engine on an e-commerce site because client
wants to save on hosting costs and doesn't expect a lot of traffic. In the
past I have always used SQL Server and FoxPro without problems.

What are the size and concurrency limits on Jet dB engine? When is it time
to upgrade to SQL Server? Is there any documentation on this?

Thanks,
Charlie

Peter O'Reilly

From my experience..
a 2GB documented file size limitation although the database will start to go
haywire long before it reaches that size. About 9,10 "writeable"
(insert/update/deletes) concurrent connections and 30+ "read only"
connections (executing select SQL statements). Performance degrades quite a
bit after 20 readable connections.

Other considerations...

Be sure to have the mdb file located on the same box as the webserver
otherwise performance goes out the window.

Access 97 (Jet 3.5x) is preunicode. Later versions - the file size will be
roughly double.

SQL Server databases security is much better (Jet may be adequate though)
and is less prone to becoming corrupt.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.