sizeof, is it a macro? function? or operation?

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Andreas Kahari, Nov 5, 2003.

  1. In article <bob18c$7l5$>, Park, SungJae wrote:
    > I found sizeof in table of Precedence hierarchy for C.
    >
    > is it a operation? which have precedence..?

    It's a unitary operator (operator taking one operand, just
    like unitary minus). Its precedence is shown in the table you
    refered to.

    --
    Andreas Kähäri
    Andreas Kahari, Nov 5, 2003

  2. Andreas Kahari

    pete Guest

    Andreas Kahari wrote:

    > In article <bob18c$7l5$>, Park, SungJae wrote:
    > > I found sizeof in table of Precedence hierarchy for C.
    > >
    > > is it a operation? which have precedence..?
    > >

    > It's a unitary operator (operator taking one operand, just
    > like unitary minus). Its precedence is shown in the table you
    > refered to.

    The standard uses the word "unary" instead of "unitary"
    to describe operators taking only one operand.

    --
    pete
    pete, Nov 5, 2003

  3. In article <>, pete wrote:
    > Andreas Kahari wrote:

    [cut]
    >> It's a unitary operator (operator taking one operand, just
    >> like unitary minus). Its precedence is shown in the table you
    >> refered to.

    > The standard uses the word "unary" instead of "unitary"
    > to describe operators taking only one operand.

    I *did* think it looked a bit funny when I wrote it...

    --
    Andreas Kähäri
    Andreas Kahari, Nov 5, 2003
  4. Andreas Kahari

    Dan Pop Guest

    In <bob18c$7l5$> "Park, SungJae" <> writes:

    >I found sizeof in table of Precedence hierarchy for C.
    >
    >is it a operation? which have precedence..?

    Did you read the title of the table carefully? In my C book, it's
    called "Precedence and Associativity of Operators". What do you think
    "operators" stands for?

    And, anyway, I'm pretty sure your C book provides a description of the
    sizeof "thing". Check its index.

    Dan
    --
    Dan Pop
    DESY Zeuthen, RZ group
    Dan Pop, Nov 5, 2003
  5. On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 15:36:24 +0000 (UTC), in comp.lang.c , Andreas
    Kahari <> wrote:

    >In article <>, pete wrote:
    >> Andreas Kahari wrote:

    >[cut]
    >>> It's a unitary operator (operator taking one operand, just
    >>> like unitary minus). Its precedence is shown in the table you
    >>> refered to.

    >> The standard uses the word "unary" instead of "unitary"
    >> to describe operators taking only one operand.

    >I *did* think it looked a bit funny when I wrote it...

    "unitary" is a type of local government in the UK.

    --
    Mark McIntyre

    Mark McIntyre, Nov 5, 2003
  6. I found sizeof in table of Precedence hierarchy for C.

    is it a operation? which have precedence..?
    Park, SungJae, Nov 6, 2003