Smalltalk-like Python IDE ?

Lobo

Hi,

My experience has been with Smalltalk using Object databases.

I would very much appreciate your recommendations on a Python IDE
closest to the Smalltalk 'image' environment, with class browsers,
implementors/senders, inspectors, debuggers, etc.

I am planning to use the following technologies for my new project
(based on input from others users here):

+ Python 2.6
+ PostgreSQL 8.3 (+ pgAdmin III 1.10)
+ SQLAlchemy 0.5.2 (+ psycopg2)
+ Elixir 0.6.1

Does the above look right?, or are there any incompatibilities among
versions?, or would you recommend to add/remove/change things (except
Python+PostreSQL, which is a must in my project)?.

Btw I will be developing on Windows XP and Vista, and I hope there are
Windows installers for all of the above - sorry but I'm not used to
compile packages and such.

If you can also let me know some hints to ease my transition from
Smalltalk to Python, that would be great.

Thanks a lot,

Carlos

Bruno Desthuilliers

Lobo a écrit :
Hi,

My experience has been with Smalltalk using Object databases.

I would very much appreciate your recommendations on a Python IDE
closest to the Smalltalk 'image' environment, with class browsers,
implementors/senders, inspectors, debuggers, etc.

Well, Python is file-based, not image-based, so there are quite a couple
things from Smalltalk you'll have to do without.

This being said, there are indeed IDEs with at least a code browser
(while everything in Python is an object, Python code doesn't
necessarily live in a class...) and a graphical debugger.

googling for python +ide should get you started

I am planning to use the following technologies for my new project
(based on input from others users here):

+ Python 2.6
+ PostgreSQL 8.3 (+ pgAdmin III 1.10)
+ SQLAlchemy 0.5.2 (+ psycopg2)
+ Elixir 0.6.1

Does the above look right?, or are there any incompatibilities among
versions?,

This you'll have to check by yourself. Note that unless your project is
trivial, chances are that you'll see new releases of some of these
components (I'd bet on either SQLA and/or Elixir) before you're done
with it.
or would you recommend to add/remove/change things (except
Python+PostreSQL, which is a must in my project)?.

versions compatibility problems set aside, it looks mostly sensible. I'd
only recommend that you first learn SQLA "barebones" before you jump
into Elixir. My two cents...

(snip - not a MS user myself)
If you can also let me know some hints to ease my transition from
Smalltalk to Python, that would be great.

Well, I guess the most important point here is that Python is not
Smalltalk !-)

Steve Holden

andrew said:
I'm curious - is that at all like Smalltalk's environment? I always had
the impression it was just like a "standard" IDE (Eclipse, Visual Studio,
etc). Is it normal (or even possible), for example, to modify Komodo as
you use it?

(I'm not even sure how you'd make something like a smalltalk environment
in Python, because the languages are different (disclaimer, almost all my
limited experience with Smalltalk is Squeak)).
Well, you might eventually be able to do it in PyPy (Python written in
Python), but Python is so much more "hard-wired" than SmallTalk I doubt
it would be possible to write quite such a flexible environment as the
SmallTalk VM.

regards
Steve

Steve Holden