SNMP agent

alain

Hi,

I have a Python app and i would like to add some SNMP agent
functionality to it.
I know it's possible to write a sub-agent with netsnmp but it is in C
and quite complicated.
I know of YAPSNMP (a wrapper around NETSNMP) but it doesn't seem to
support agent writing.
Any suggestion ?

Thanks to all in advance

Alain

alf

alain said:
Hi,

I have a Python app and i would like to add some SNMP agent
functionality to it.
I know it's possible to write a sub-agent with netsnmp but it is in C
and quite complicated.
I know of YAPSNMP (a wrapper around NETSNMP) but it doesn't seem to
support agent writing.
Any suggestion ?

Thanks to all in advance

Alain

twistedmatrix.org?

Cameron Laird

I already took a look at it but the agent functionality is somewhat
primitive. I need something production-ready.

Alain

'Doesn't exist.

I understand the sentiment; in principle, it shouldn't be hard
to write a library which supports construction of SNMP agents
in Python. I'm aware of no one who has done so publicly, though.

Myself, I like using the Tcl-based Scotty. For severely-constrained
performance, though, you'll likely have to go to C, in some form.

alain

'Doesn't exist.

I understand the sentiment; in principle, it shouldn't be hard
to write a library which supports construction of SNMP agents
in Python. I'm aware of no one who has done so publicly, though.

Myself, I like using the Tcl-based Scotty. For severely-constrained
performance, though, you'll likely have to go to C, in some form.

Hi Cameron,

Thanks for the information.
I still find it strange that, in all these years of existence, no one
felt the need for a SNMP agent in Python.

Do Pythoneers only write test tools and not real apps?

Alain

Cameron Laird

.
.
.
I still find it strange that, in all these years of existence, no one
felt the need for a SNMP agent in Python.

Do Pythoneers only write test tools and not real apps?
.
.
.
No, but I understand the question. Python has had considerable
success with test tools, by the way. On the other hand, SNMP
has become such a minor niche that its technologic implementations
depend heavily on historical accident. The right combination of
expertise-resources-need-... simply hasn't occurred for Python-
based SNMP.

I'll repeat: Tcl is the basis of Scotty, which, while largely
unsupported now, remains quite usable. Perl is in a somewhat
more primitive condition. I don't know of any other high-level
language which can effectively boast of the ability to write SNMP
agents.

Roy Smith

I understand the sentiment; in principle, it shouldn't be hard
to write a library which supports construction of SNMP agents
in Python. I'm aware of no one who has done so publicly, though.

I've used pysnmp (http://pysnmp.sourceforge.net/) in a test environment for
a while. Only the manager side, never tried to implement an agent. It's
pure python, so it's very portable. In theory, that also means it's not
very fast, but for what I've ever wanted it for, it was plenty fast enough.

The latest NetSNMP release apparently now includes a python binding
(http://www.net-snmp.org/docs/NEWS.html). I have not had a chance to use
it, but it sounds good.