    Any suggestion ?

    Thanks to all in advance

    Alain
    alain, Apr 4, 2007

  2. alain

    alf Guest

    alain wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a Python app and i would like to add some SNMP agent
    > functionality to it.
    > I know it's possible to write a sub-agent with netsnmp but it is in C
    > and quite complicated.
    > I know of YAPSNMP (a wrapper around NETSNMP) but it doesn't seem to
    > support agent writing.
    > Any suggestion ?
    >
    > Thanks to all in advance
    >
    > Alain

    twistedmatrix.org?
    alf, Apr 4, 2007

  3. alain

    alain Guest

    On Apr 4, 1:30 pm, alf <ask@me> wrote:

    > twistedmatrix.org?

    I already took a look at it but the agent functionality is somewhat
    primitive. I need something production-ready.

    Alain
    alain, Apr 4, 2007
  4. In article <>,
    alain <> wrote:
    >On Apr 4, 1:30 pm, alf <ask@me> wrote:
    >
    >> twistedmatrix.org?

    >I already took a look at it but the agent functionality is somewhat
    >primitive. I need something production-ready.
    >
    >Alain

    'Doesn't exist.

    I understand the sentiment; in principle, it shouldn't be hard
    to write a library which supports construction of SNMP agents
    in Python. I'm aware of no one who has done so publicly, though.

    Myself, I like using the Tcl-based Scotty. For severely-constrained
    performance, though, you'll likely have to go to C, in some form.
    Cameron Laird, Apr 5, 2007
  5. alain

    alain Guest

    On Apr 5, 6:50 pm, (Cameron Laird) wrote:
    > In article <>,
    >
    > alain <> wrote:
    > >On Apr 4, 1:30 pm, alf <ask@me> wrote:

    > >> twistedmatrix.org?

    > >I already took a look at it but the agent functionality is somewhat
    > >primitive. I need something production-ready.

    > >Alain

    > 'Doesn't exist.
    >
    > I understand the sentiment; in principle, it shouldn't be hard
    > to write a library which supports construction of SNMP agents
    > in Python. I'm aware of no one who has done so publicly, though.
    >
    > Myself, I like using the Tcl-based Scotty. For severely-constrained
    > performance, though, you'll likely have to go to C, in some form.

    Hi Cameron,

    Thanks for the information.
    I still find it strange that, in all these years of existence, no one
    felt the need for a SNMP agent in Python.

    Do Pythoneers only write test tools and not real apps?

    Alain
    alain, Apr 6, 2007
  6. In article <>,
    alain <> wrote:
    .
    .
    .
    >I still find it strange that, in all these years of existence, no one
    >felt the need for a SNMP agent in Python.
    >
    >Do Pythoneers only write test tools and not real apps?

    .
    .
    .
    No, but I understand the question. Python has had considerable
    success with test tools, by the way. On the other hand, SNMP
    has become such a minor niche that its technologic implementations
    depend heavily on historical accident. The right combination of
    expertise-resources-need-... simply hasn't occurred for Python-
    based SNMP.

    I'll repeat: Tcl is the basis of Scotty, which, while largely
    unsupported now, remains quite usable. Perl is in a somewhat
    more primitive condition. I don't know of any other high-level
    language which can effectively boast of the ability to write SNMP
    agents.
    Cameron Laird, Apr 6, 2007
  7. alain

    Roy Smith Guest

    (Cameron Laird) wrote:
    > I understand the sentiment; in principle, it shouldn't be hard
    > to write a library which supports construction of SNMP agents
    > in Python. I'm aware of no one who has done so publicly, though.

    I've used pysnmp (http://pysnmp.sourceforge.net/) in a test environment for
    a while. Only the manager side, never tried to implement an agent. It's
    pure python, so it's very portable. In theory, that also means it's not
    very fast, but for what I've ever wanted it for, it was plenty fast enough.

    The latest NetSNMP release apparently now includes a python binding
    (http://www.net-snmp.org/docs/NEWS.html). I have not had a chance to use
    it, but it sounds good.
    Roy Smith, Apr 7, 2007
  8. alain