So what is supposed to replace the apparently depreciated <br> tag?

Chaddy2222

[...]
What exactly is an em? Each browser defines it differently.
A pixel, OTOH, is a know thing. If I set my column width to say 300
pixels, then it will remain at 300 pixels regardless of browser
physical width.
No it won't, you have no control over how anything on the web can be
displayed, you can only suggest how it will be displayed, it is up to
the user how that information will be displayed.
As in dorayme's example, pictures are usually sized in pixels. Yes you
can resize them, but often you don't want to.
So whenever you need to size something else relative to a picture, use
pixels.
Yes, if you read me previous post (my original reply to Richard), I
did say that I only use px units for sizeing things like images and
other such things that need to be a fixed unit. What he was suggesting
was to fix the size of a paragraph of text which is not a good idea.

But what if the paragraph of text is underneath the image and supposed
to be the same width as it?- Hide quoted text -

Well yes, that would be the exception.

Jonathan N. Little

Gareth said:
I posted a query about definition lists in another group recently -
then found it was a low traffic group and didn't get any replies.
Perhaps, as it involves <br />, someone here can help. Here's the
original post:

How can I style definition lists so that each term & definition appear
on the same line?

If I use:

<dl>
</dl

The browsers I've tried render the definition term on one line, and
the definition on the line below. I'd like to have them both on the
same line.

I can achieve this with:

<dl>
<dt style="display:inline;">term1</dt><dd
style="display:inline;">definition1<br /></dd>
<dt style="display:inline;">term1</dt><dd
style="display:inline;">definition1<br /></dd>
</dl>

but without the <br /> the whole list ends up on a single line. Is
there any clean (pure css) way I can do this without having to include
the <br />?

dt, dd { float: left; }
dt { clear: left; }