SOAP and SSL

Scott Rubin

Hello,

I tried asking this question before and nobody replies, so I'm going to
try again. I am presently writing a SOAP client on an embedded linux
device using Ruby. Ruby and all its libraries and such fit and work
just fine, even if it takes ruby 10 seconds to start executing. The
SOAP functions also work flawlessly. The php web service we set up
communictes just fine. The SSL stuff also works just fine. My problem
is that I can't seem to combine the SSL and the SOAP. Encrypting the
SOAP envelopes is a must, and since I'm using http SSL seems to be the
way.

The SOAP library seems to operate on a level or two above the http
client, so in order to get SSL working I would have to re-write, or at
least edit the soap stuff. I've got ruby 1.8.0 running on my build
machine and 1.8.1 running on the embedded device. I noticed that in
netHttpClient.rb and in streamHandler.rb in the soap library directory
that there is some ssl stuff, but only in 1.8.1 and not in 1.8.0. That
tells me that there is some way to do SSL with SOAP that was recently
added, I'm thinking it is implemented on the low level, but not in
driver.rb where I need it yet.

Am I going to have to wait for 1.8.2 to get encrypted SOAP, or is there
a way to turn it on with some other magic? I tried just setting the URL
to https://, but that didn't do it.

Thanks,
Scott

Phil Tomson

[...]

I noticed your post about this the other day and I was really hoping that
someone would reply as I'm about to run into the same issue in a month or
two - I'll need to get SOAP running over SSL as well.

Has anyone successfully done this?

BTW: What if you install 1.8.1 on your build machine so that both sides
are using 1.8.1? Perhaps that new code in netHttpClient.rb &
streamHandler.rb would make a difference?

Phil

NAKAMURA, Hiroshi

Hi,

I'm the man who must respond.