Sockets and connection states

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Aa Blinkin, Feb 22, 2009.

  1. Aa Blinkin

    Aa Blinkin Guest

    I'm trying to wrap my head around socket programming and what the
    material I've been reading is telling me.

    Say I have a firewall which allows traffic with connection state: NEW on
    a certain port for a short window of time(through port knocking or some
    other means). I have a second rule which allows all traffic with
    connection state: ESTABLISHED,RELATED that doesn't decay.

    My goal is to have server + client scripts that establish a new
    connection during that window and keep the connection open until the
    client script ends.

    The questions:

    Does it matter which type of socket I use? My n00b brain reads the
    descriptions and examples on UDP sockets as saying that it does matter,
    but at the same time I know I've run a few Doom servers with the same
    firewall scenario and I'm pretty sure it was UDP.

    How does the firewall identify which data is "related or established"
    and how can I make sure that the scripts maintain that connection state?
    Aa Blinkin, Feb 22, 2009