Software tool for stochastic simulation as well as for the stochastic optimization

John Oksz

Hello Python World,

I am starting work on stochastic approach.

I plan to work in decision support field in environmental engineering
so I will use both the stochastic simulation as well as the stochastic
optimization.
I would like to select the best for both approaches software tool.

what you suggest ... Matlab ... python ... something else?

Any thoughts would be appreciated,
John

Wolfgang Keller

I plan to work in decision support field in environmental engineering
so I will use both the stochastic simulation as well as the stochastic
optimization.
I would like to select the best for both approaches software tool.

what you suggest ... Matlab ... python ... something else?

I have no clue whether it does stochastic simulation and optimisation,
but R is THE free open-source statistic analysis tool. It does have
a Python interface, RPy. And there's a free open-source replacement for
Matlab, Scilab. Which has a Python interface as well.

Sincerely,

Wolfgang

Dennis Lee Bieber

I have no clue whether it does stochastic simulation and optimisation,
but R is THE free open-source statistic analysis tool. It does have
a Python interface, RPy. And there's a free open-source replacement for
Matlab, Scilab. Which has a Python interface as well.
I always thought Octave was considered the "free" Matlab equivalent;
syntax supposed to be closer -- R is more an equivalent of S. Probably
doesn't have a Python interface.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Octave
http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/download.html

(Looks like I was wrong)