    what you suggest ... Matlab ... python ... something else?

    Any thoughts would be appreciated,
    John
    John Oksz, Feb 9, 2012

  2. Re: Software tool for stochastic simulation as well as for thestochastic optimization

    > I plan to work in decision support field in environmental engineering
    > so I will use both the stochastic simulation as well as the stochastic
    > optimization.
    > I would like to select the best for both approaches software tool.
    >
    > what you suggest ... Matlab ... python ... something else?

    I have no clue whether it does stochastic simulation and optimisation,
    but R is THE free open-source statistic analysis tool. It does have
    a Python interface, RPy. And there's a free open-source replacement for
    Matlab, Scilab. Which has a Python interface as well.

    Sincerely,

    Wolfgang

    --
    HOMO HOMINI HOSTIS IN FELIBUS FELICITAS
    Wolfgang Keller, Feb 9, 2012

  3. Re: Software tool for stochastic simulation as well as for thestochastic optimization

    On Thu, 9 Feb 2012 17:24:09 +0100, Wolfgang Keller <>
    wrote:

    >> I plan to work in decision support field in environmental engineering
    >> so I will use both the stochastic simulation as well as the stochastic
    >> optimization.
    >> I would like to select the best for both approaches software tool.
    >>
    >> what you suggest ... Matlab ... python ... something else?

    >I have no clue whether it does stochastic simulation and optimisation,
    >but R is THE free open-source statistic analysis tool. It does have
    >a Python interface, RPy. And there's a free open-source replacement for
    >Matlab, Scilab. Which has a Python interface as well.

    I always thought Octave was considered the "free" Matlab equivalent;
    syntax supposed to be closer -- R is more an equivalent of S. Probably
    doesn't have a Python interface.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Octave
    http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/download.html

    (Looks like I was wrong)