Some problem with OBJECT and table

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Dif, Aug 11, 2007.

  1. Dif

    Dif Guest

    Hi all,
    I'm writing a personal web site and since my ISP is not offering me
    the possibility to have server-side scripting (I'm using the classical
    free web space available with the connection), I'm using a combination
    of TABLE and OBJECT to manage the redundant parts of my pages (I don't
    know it is the best practice); unfortunately I'm having some problem
    and I can't find a solution.

    You can see the following page as example of my problems:
    http://marcodifresco.interfree.it/test/hptable.html

    The problems are the following:
    - the OBJECT code seems to require more space than necessary otherwise
    it shows up scroll bars (for example for the 728x90 leader board I
    have on top I have to set width="770" and height="130"), but in this
    way I'm getting too much blank space between elements; you can see the
    scroll bars (the width and height match the intended value) on the
    advertisement skyscraper on the left and the excessive white space
    (the width and height are higher than intended) below the leader board
    on top (apply also to the search box);
    - if I use OBJECT to render a web page inside a cell (as I said I'm
    using a TABLE to layout my web site) and I click a link of that page,
    the linked page will be rendered inside the cell instead of loading
    full screen; you can see the effect either on the short menu above the
    skyscraper (the one that says "Home Page - Send this page - Your
    feedback about this page") or with the link on the copyright notice at
    the bottom of the page;
    - while in Firefox the page looks OK (except for the excessive white
    space mentioned in point 1), in IE7 the sections rendered with OBJECT
    show a vertical scroll bar (that is grayed out since the section is
    fully rendered).

    Do you have any idea how I can solve these problems?

    Thank in advance.

    Dif, Aug 11, 2007

  2. Dif

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Dif <> wrote:

    > You can see the following page as example of my problems:
    > http://marcodifresco.interfree.it/test/hptable.html
    >
    > The problems are the following:

    First, put in a doctype and read why this is important. Put in
    the 4.01 Strict one if unsure.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Aug 12, 2007

  3. Dif

    Dif Guest

    On Aug 12, 9:40 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    >
    > Dif <> wrote:
    >
    > > You can see the following page as example of my problems:
    > >http://marcodifresco.interfree.it/test/hptable.html

    > > The problems are the following:

    > First, put in a doctype and read why this is important. Put in
    > the 4.01 Strict one if unsure.
    >
    > --
    > dorayme

    Hi dorayme,
    thank for the reply.

    I doctype declaration and I took the opportunity to do a HTML
    validation (I used the W3C one), but it found just a couple of
    marginal errors (it complained about two </p> missing the opening even
    if they were two line above).

    I corrected the anomalies suggested by the validation (now W3C reports
    "This Page Is Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional!"), but unfortunately the
    problems persist. :-(

    Any idea?

    Dif, Aug 12, 2007
  4. Dif

    Dif, Aug 12, 2007
  5. Dif

    Dif Guest

    > I doctype declaration

    Of course it should be: "I inserted the doctype declaration". :)

    Dif, Aug 12, 2007
  6. Dif wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > I'm writing a personal web site and since my ISP is not offering me
    > the possibility to have server-side scripting (I'm using the classical
    > free web space available with the connection), I'm using a combination
    > of TABLE and OBJECT to manage the redundant parts of my pages (I don't
    > know it is the best practice); unfortunately I'm having some problem
    > and I can't find a solution.
    >
    > You can see the following page as example of my problems:
    > http://marcodifresco.interfree.it/test/hptable.html

    Your server is Apache, good possibility you have PHP available. To test
    in a text editor insert following:
    <head>
    <title>PHP Info</title>
    </head>
    <?php phpinfo(); ?>

    save file as phpinfo.php

    upload to server and check with browser

    http://marcodifresco.interfree.it/test/phpinfo.php

    If you have PHP then you will see tables of PHP settings. If you have
    PHP then dump the hack with OBJECTs and use PHP includes

    > The problems are the following:
    > - the OBJECT code seems to require more space than necessary otherwise

    <snip>

    MSIE will always put scrollbars on the object it seems. Really kludgy
    way to do includes.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Aug 13, 2007
  7. Dif

    Dif Guest

    [CUT]
    > Your server is Apache, good possibility you have PHP available. To test
    > in a text editor insert following:
    > <head>
    > <title>PHP Info</title>
    > </head>
    > <?php phpinfo(); ?>
    >
    > save file as phpinfo.php
    >
    > upload to server and check with browser
    >
    > http://marcodifresco.interfree.it/test/phpinfo.php
    >
    > If you have PHP then you will see tables of PHP settings. If you have
    > PHP then dump the hack with OBJECTs and use PHP includes

    Tested, but as I suspected PHP is not supported (usually, here in
    Italy at least, when ISPs bundle free web space with the connection,
    it is just free space - ergo no sever-side scripting, but just the
    plain HTML and eventually client-side scripting [like Javascripts]). :-
    (

    > MSIE will always put scrollbars on the object it seems. Really kludgy
    > way to do includes.

    Uhm, too bad. I could have lived with the extra space (due to the
    first problem), but those scroll bars are very ugly. :-(

    Anyway, thank for the help. :)

    BTW does anyone have any consideration for the second problem (pages
    opened by links of the page rendered with OBJECT nested on a cell are
    rendered inside the cell instead of loading a full new page)?

    Dif, Aug 13, 2007
  8. Dif wrote:

    > Tested, but as I suspected PHP is not supported (usually, here in
    > Italy at least, when ISPs bundle free web space with the connection,
    > it is just free space - ergo no sever-side scripting, but just the
    > plain HTML and eventually client-side scripting [like Javascripts]). :-
    > (

    I would say spend a few bucks and get hosting an make you site look
    good. Many small scale packages with fewer bells and whistles that you
    would not need but include PHP for a about $50 a year or less. Yeah you
    don't have to get hosting in Italy, anywhere in the world where you can
    get the best value will do... I don't use them but for example
    GoDaddy.com has some economy plans < $4 depending on how much you pay in
    advance...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Aug 13, 2007
  9. Dif

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Mon, 13 Aug 2007 19:28:10 GMT
    Dif scribed:

    > Tested, but as I suspected PHP is not supported (usually, here in
    > Italy at least, when ISPs bundle free web space with the connection,
    > it is just free space - ergo no sever-side scripting, but just the
    > plain HTML and eventually client-side scripting [like Javascripts]). :-

    Italy? What kind of name is "Dif" for a Pizano? Different, that's for
    sure...

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Aug 13, 2007
  10. Dif

    Dif Guest

    On Aug 13, 10:34 pm, "Jonathan N. Little" <>
    wrote:
    > Dif wrote:
    > > Tested, but as I suspected PHP is not supported (usually, here in
    > > Italy at least, when ISPs bundle free web space with the connection,
    > > it is just free space - ergo no sever-side scripting, but just the
    > > plain HTML and eventually client-side scripting [like Javascripts]). :-
    > > (

    > I would say spend a few bucks and get hosting an make you site look
    > good. Many small scale packages with fewer bells and whistles that you
    > would not need but include PHP for a about $50 a year or less. Yeah you
    > don't have to get hosting in Italy, anywhere in the world where you can
    > get the best value will do... I don't use them but for example
    > GoDaddy.com has some economy plans < $4 depending on how much you pay in
    > advance...

    I'll take that in consideration. Actually I should first build some
    basic content to the site since so far the only real content I wrote
    is a mini-guide to a 4 years old game (Star Wars: Knights of the Old
    Republic ) and nothing more yet (and actually I still don't know how
    much far I will go on building up my site). :)

    Anyway I found a solution to the IE problem (the third one on the
    original post):
    - First I had to put scroll=no on the <BODY> tag on the embedded page
    (so it become <BODY scroll=no>); this resolve the scroll bar issue;
    - Second, I had to put the following code on the main page (the one
    that call all the OBJECTS) to resolve the border issue (I didn't
    reported it since I thought it was part of the scroll bar one):

    <!-- Fix for IE border Begin -->
    <script type="text/javascript">
    function fixObjectImages ()
    {
    var objs = document.getElementsByTagName ('OBJECT');
    for (n = 0; n < objs.length; n++)
    {
    var obj = objs [n];
    if ((obj != null && obj.type != null)
    && ((obj.type == "text/html") || (obj.type == "image/gif")))
    {
    fixObject (obj);

    function fixObject (obj)
    {
    obj.body.style.margin = '0';
    obj.body.style.border = 'none';
    obj.body.style.overflow = 'hidden';
    }
    // To do: Only do this for IE !
    window.onload = fixObjectImages;
    </script>
    <!-- Fix for IE border End -->

    Speaking of the other two problems, the second one is the one I'll
    investigate further since it is annoying (any idea?); I can live with
    the first one until I'll create enough content to migrate to a paid
    server.

    Thank again for the help. :)

    Dif, Aug 13, 2007