something funky

Johnfli

I currently have my website on a NT4 box, all pages work fine.
I am working on moving it over to a win200k web edition server.
I have my connection to my SQL working, copied all the pages to the new
machine without making ANY changes to the pages.
Now when my .asp page queries the database, it takes forever for it to
return any data, and not only does it display incorrectly, it does it
without putting anything in any of the tables that the data is suppose to be
in.

I have the data displayed in a table so it's all nice and neat, but the
table is not being written. When I view the source code after the data is
returned, it only has the data from the database, no mention of any tables,
or the pictures or anything else.

Is there something that has to get done so 2003 will write the tables
properly??

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Johnfli said:
I currently have my website on a NT4 box, all pages work fine.
I am working on moving it over to a win200k web edition server.
I have my connection to my SQL working, copied all the pages to the
new machine without making ANY changes to the pages.
Now when my .asp page queries the database, it takes forever for it to
return any data, and not only does it display incorrectly, it does it
without putting anything in any of the tables that the data is
suppose to be in.

I have the data displayed in a table so it's all nice and neat, but
the table is not being written. When I view the source code after
the data is returned, it only has the data from the database, no
mention of any tables, or the pictures or anything else.

Is there something that has to get done so 2003 will write the tables
properly??

Suggestions:

Use SQL Profiler to verify that the proper queries are being executed by the
SQL Server

Use a tool such as described here to track what is going on:

Johnfli

I will try that, but that still doesn't explain why the rest of the page
isn't being displayed.

Patrice

As you won't have any DB data in your page my guess would be that you have
some kind of error that gets unnoticed. As suggested SQL profiler would be a
good start to see if the right DB is hit and if the query is supposed to
return data...

Mike Brind

Building on Patrice's reply, if there is an ado error, sometimes when
writing to tables, the error is only visible in View Source. This is
because the table cell or row doesn't finish rendering. I know you
have already viewed source, and you can't see any tables being
rendered, but it may just be worth a closer inspection.

Johnfli

There are not any errors, I did go to the web page suggested and ran what it
said, everything works fine.
As far as viewing the source code: I have done that, and not only does it
not draw any of the tables it is suppose to, it does not display any of the
other information that would be displayed before it even gets to the tables.

Johnfli

it also doesn't even display the response.write I entered for it to show my
the sql query it is running.

Patrice

Does it work if you just Response.Write something at the very beginning and
then Response.End to terminate ? From there you should be able to find out
by trials and displays at which point it seems to stop.

If it doesn't work at all seems like you see something cached or you don't
run the expected page...

Good luck.

Johnfli

Actaully, I found that it is somethign my loop is doing to display teh data.
If I comment out teh absolute page line, the page displays, only one page of
data, but it is at least showing that it partially works. Please see the
post I made about "Current Recordset...."