Something like puts

Ralph Shnelvar

Newbie question:

I need/want a function like puts ... that is, a function known
globally.

I have read the Pickaxe section on mixins and
http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/68638 and I'm going nuts.

Specifically I am trying to do

module ApplicationHelper
puts "Hearyee ApplicationHelper"

def at_file_line_msg(file, line, msg)
file + " @ " + line.to_s + ":" + msg
end

puts at_file_line_msg(__FILE__, __LINE__, "")
end

The
puts at_file_line_msg(__FILE__, __LINE__, "")
generates the right output.

When I attempt to mixin ApplicationHelper into a classand then attempt
to call
puts at_file_line_msg(__FILE__, __LINE__, "")
I get a "module not defined" error.

I think this has something to do with Modules not mixing in, uh, class
methods. Frankly, I'm not following the arguments.

So ... what is the right way to create a function like puts that is
known everywhere?

Marnen Laibow-Koser

Ralph said:
Newbie question:

I need/want a function like puts ... that is, a function known
globally. [...]
So ... what is the right way to create a function like puts that is
known everywhere?

Put it in Object.

Best,

Walton Hoops

From: Ralph Shnelvar [mailto:[email protected]]
Newbie question:

[...]

Maybe I'm missing something, but I think what you want is to just
define it in the default global scope:

irb(main):002:0> def foo #our global function
irb(main):003:1> 'bar'
irb(main):004:1> end
=> nil
irb(main):011:0> class Blah
irb(main):012:1> def b
irb(main):013:2> foo #Our function defined earlier
irb(main):014:2> end
irb(main):015:1> end
=> nil
irb(main):016:0> b=Blah.new
=> #<Blah:0x2d58d20>
irb(main):017:0> b.b
=> "bar"
irb(main):018:0>

David Masover

Newbie question:

I need/want a function like puts ... that is, a function known
globally.

I have read the Pickaxe section on mixins and
http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/68638 and I'm going nuts.

Specifically I am trying to do

module ApplicationHelper
puts "Hearyee ApplicationHelper"

def at_file_line_msg(file, line, msg)
file + " @ " + line.to_s + ":" + msg
end

puts at_file_line_msg(__FILE__, __LINE__, "")
end

The
puts at_file_line_msg(__FILE__, __LINE__, "")
generates the right output.

When I attempt to mixin ApplicationHelper into a classand then attempt
to call
puts at_file_line_msg(__FILE__, __LINE__, "")
I get a "module not defined" error.

You're going to have to provide a lot more context. What specific error are you
getting, and where, specifically, are you calling this? For example:
I think this has something to do with Modules not mixing in, uh, class
methods. Frankly, I'm not following the arguments.

If you're doing this:

class Foo
include SomeHelper
puts at_file_line_msg(__FILE__,__LINE__,'')
end

In that case, yes, it has to do with class methods not being defined. You _may_
be able to get around this by doing something like:

module ApplicationHelper
module ClassMethods
def at_file_line_msg ...
end
def self.included mod
mod.extend ClassMethods
end
end

I'm not sure, though. It's been awhile since I've dug into Rails.

Regardless, Helpers are only available in certain places -- for instance, I
don't think they work inside the model. So you may have to put it somewhere
else...
So ... what is the right way to create a function like puts that is
known everywhere?

Put it in Kernel, I think.
But the right way is to not do that unless you have to.

Ralph Shnelvar

From: Ralph Shnelvar [mailto:[email protected]]

WH> Maybe I'm missing something, but I think what you want is to just
WH> define it in the default global scope:

Duh! That works!

God, I'm stupid. Thanks!!!

Marnen Laibow-Koser

Walton said:
Maybe I'm missing something, but I think what you want is to just
define it in the default global scope:
[...]

Right. Which actually puts it in Object. I had forgotten about the
syntactic sugar.

Best,

Walton Hoops

From: Walton Hoops [mailto:[email protected]]
Right. Which actually puts it in Object. I had forgotten about the
syntactic sugar.

Does it? I've heard that before, but this seems to indicate otherwise. [snip]
Maybe I'm missing something?

I am. To answer my own foolish question:

irb(main):021:0> Object.private_methods.sort
=>[#snip# :foobar #snip#]
irb(main):022:0>

David A. Black

Hi --

Right. Which actually puts it in Object. I had forgotten about the
syntactic sugar.

Does it? I've heard that before, but this seems to indicate otherwise. [snip]
Maybe I'm missing something?

I am. To answer my own foolish question:

irb(main):021:0> Object.private_methods.sort
=>[#snip# :foobar #snip#]
irb(main):022:0>

Mind you:

irb(main):010:0> def x; end
=> nil
irb(main):011:0> "some string".private_methods.grep(/^x/)
=> [:x]

It becomes a private instance method of every object, including the
class object Object, because it's defined inside Object:

irb(main):013:0> Object.private_instance_methods(false).grep(/^x/)
=> [:x]

David