Something like Snakelets in the ruby world?

Lloyd Zusman

I recently have been looking at a piece of Python software called
"Snakelets", which I would characterize as "WEBrick += 1". I'm
wondering if there is something like it in the ruby world.

When I say "something like it", I mean a program that offers the
following features:

- It is very lightweight. In other words, it's not a full-blown
application server, but rather, it's a simple and compact system for
serving up web content, like WEBrick. I have looked at Rails, and
while I find it to be a full-featured and impressive piece of
software, it's more heavyweight and "application-server-like" than the
software I'm looking for. If you compare Rails' capabilities to those
of this Snakelets package, you'll see what I mean.

- It handles virtual hosts and multiple web sites under a single
instance of the program. This is managed through a directory
structure and a set of configuration files.

- It has built in session management capabilities that can be turned on
and off on a site-by-site basis simply by the means of directives in
each site's configuration file.

- It has built in authentication capabilitis that can be turned on
and off and configured on a site-by-stie basis simply by means of
directives in each site's configuration files.

- It has buit in capabilities for managing file uploads.

- It manages dynamic content like Erb does. This happens automatically
when the name of the file that is being served has a certain suffix,
and it can be further controlled for other files by means of
configuration variables.

- It serves up *.html and other standard web content automatically.

- By means of configuration directives, "servlets" can be associated
with various uri patterns within a given site. These servlets are
implemented in the program's native language (python in the case of
Snakelets, ruby in the case of this hypothetical package that I'm
seeking).

- Changes in content are noticed at run time.

I know that all of this can be implemented today by means of WEBrick and
the WEBrick::Session module, but adding sites, managing sessions,
etc. all involve ruby coding. I'm looking for something in ruby that
allows this to be managed via configuration files within a standard
directory structure, with a minimum of coding necessary for setting up
sites ... as is done in the Snakelets software.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Cs. Henk

I recently have been looking at a piece of Python software called
"Snakelets", which I would characterize as "WEBrick += 1". I'm
wondering if there is something like it in the ruby world.

When I say "something like it", I mean a program that offers the
following features:

While I'm not in te position of making comparisons between the two
beasts, I'm always wondering which python libs have counterparts in ruby
and vica versa, and maybe making comparisons between their design and
feature set.

It's good to see that pythonists have a webrick, too (+/-1 :) ). In
fact, I'd be surprised if they didn't have.

Thank's for the pointer!

Csaba

Lloyd Zusman

Cs. Henk said:
While I'm not in te position of making comparisons between the two
beasts, I'm always wondering which python libs have counterparts in ruby
and vica versa, and maybe making comparisons between their design and
feature set.

It's good to see that pythonists have a webrick, too (+/-1 :) ). In
fact, I'd be surprised if they didn't have.

Thank's for the pointer!

Well, I'm not trying to make comparisons ... I'm just looking for
something with the approximate feature set of Snakelets that runs in the
language that I prefer these days, namely ruby.

Snakelets fits rather nicely in the niche between WEBrick and Rails, and
if something like that doesn't already exist in Ruby, I might just go
off and write it myself.

gabriele renzi

Lloyd Zusman ha scritto:
I recently have been looking at a piece of Python software called
"Snakelets", which I would characterize as "WEBrick += 1". I'm
wondering if there is something like it in the ruby world.

did you consider cerise?