    and the "B" in "BNF" has died.

    http://news.google.com/news?q="john backus" fortran

    Don't e-mail me at: <mailto:>
    Kenneth Brody, Mar 21, 2007

  2. Kenneth Brody <> wrote:

    > John Backus (I originally mistyped "Backup"), the "Father of FORTRAN",
    > and the "B" in "BNF" has died.

    Sorry to C him go. He will B missed.

    Christopher Benson-Manica, Mar 21, 2007

  3. Kenneth Brody

    Old Wolf Guest

    On Mar 22, 7:07 am, Kenneth Brody <> wrote:
    > John Backus (I originally mistyped "Backup"), the "Father of FORTRAN",
    > and the "B" in "BNF" has died.

    If only BNF were also dead.
    Old Wolf, Mar 21, 2007
  4. Kenneth Brody

    CBFalconer Guest

    Old Wolf wrote:
    > On Mar 22, 7:07 am, Kenneth Brody <> wrote:
    >
    >> John Backus (I originally mistyped "Backup"), the "Father of
    >> FORTRAN", and the "B" in "BNF" has died.

    > If only BNF were also dead.

    You don't have to use it. Railroad diagrams work also, but are not
    as amenable to data processing. Before you can properly talk about
    a thing you need a language to describe it.

    <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>

    CBFalconer, Mar 22, 2007
  5. Kenneth Brody

    Richard Bos Guest

    Kenneth Brody <> wrote:

    > John Backus (I originally mistyped "Backup"), the "Father of FORTRAN",
    > and the "B" in "BNF" has died.
    >
    > http://news.google.com/news?q="john backus" fortran

    He'll be buried face down, nine edge first. Unlike most people of whom
    that is said, in his case, it's a compliment.

    Richard
    Richard Bos, Mar 22, 2007
  6. Old Wolf wrote:
    > On Mar 22, 7:07 am, Kenneth Brody <> wrote:

    > > John Backus (I originally mistyped "Backup"), the "Father of FORTRAN",
    > > and the "B" in "BNF" has died.

    > If only BNF were also dead.

    what's wrong with BNF? What would you describe syntax in instead?

    --
    Nick Keighley
    Nick Keighley, Mar 22, 2007