sortable problem

Discussion in 'HTML' started by sheldonlg, Mar 26, 2008.

  1. sheldonlg

    sheldonlg Guest

    I am using a table defined as:

    Where the class and the javascript are from Stuart Langridge.,
    http://www.kryogenix.org/code/browser/sorttable/

    The class definition (in a css file) has in it:
    table.sortable thead {
    background-color:#EEEEEE;
    color:#666666;
    font: bold 14px Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
    cursor: pointer;
    }

    I have two problems that are occurring.
    1 - The CSS doesn't seem to be applying as the background color
    is not showing properly and the cursor is not a pointer.
    2 - The table only wants to sort in descending order.

    This is inside a huge, proprietary application behind a firewall so I
    can't give a pointer to it. So, I tried to make up a simple example.
    When I did, the style applied but it didn't sort at all. So,

    1 - Can someone tell me what is wrong with the examples?
    2 - Would anyone have a clue as to why I might have the
    original problem.

    The example is at http://www.sheldonlg.com/sorting.htm and the
    javascript is that from url at the top.
    sheldonlg, Mar 26, 2008

  2. sheldonlg

    John Hosking Guest

    Posted to alt.html only, because Thunderbird hates cross-posting.

    sheldonlg wrote:
    > I am using a table defined as:
    >
    > Where the class and the javascript are from Stuart Langridge.,
    > http://www.kryogenix.org/code/browser/sorttable/

    > I have two problems that are occurring.
    > 1 - The CSS doesn't seem to be applying as the background color
    > is not showing properly and the cursor is not a pointer.
    > 2 - The table only wants to sort in descending order.
    >
    > This is inside a huge, proprietary application behind a firewall so I
    > can't give a pointer to it. So, I tried to make up a simple example.
    > When I did, the style applied but it didn't sort at all.

    > The example is at http://www.sheldonlg.com/sorting.htm and the
    > javascript is that from url at the top.

    Styles for me, sorts for me. FF and IE6. Sorry.

    --
    John
    Read about the UIP: http://improve-usenet.org/
    John Hosking, Mar 26, 2008

  3. sheldonlg

    Evertjan. Guest

    sheldonlg wrote on 26 mrt 2008 in comp.lang.javascript:

    > I am using a table defined as:
    >
    > Where the class and the javascript are from Stuart Langridge.,
    > http://www.kryogenix.org/code/browser/sorttable/
    >
    > The class definition (in a css file) has in it:
    > table.sortable thead {
    > background-color:#EEEEEE;
    > color:#666666;
    > font: bold 14px Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
    > cursor: pointer;
    >}
    >
    > I have two problems that are occurring.
    > 1 - The CSS doesn't seem to be applying as the background color
    > is not showing properly and the cursor is not a pointer.
    > 2 - The table only wants to sort in descending order.
    >
    > This is inside a huge, proprietary application behind a firewall so I
    > can't give a pointer to it. So, I tried to make up a simple example.
    > When I did, the style applied but it didn't sort at all. So,
    >
    > 1 - Can someone tell me what is wrong with the examples?
    > 2 - Would anyone have a clue as to why I might have the
    > original problem.
    >
    > The example is at http://www.sheldonlg.com/sorting.htm and the
    > javascript is that from url at the top.

    Perhaps you make an error confusing:

    sortable

    and

    sorttable

    ?

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.
    Evertjan., Mar 26, 2008
  4. sheldonlg

    sheldonlg Guest

    Evertjan. wrote:
    > sheldonlg wrote on 26 mrt 2008 in comp.lang.javascript:
    >
    >> I am using a table defined as:
    >>
    >> Where the class and the javascript are from Stuart Langridge.,
    >> http://www.kryogenix.org/code/browser/sorttable/
    >>
    >> The class definition (in a css file) has in it:
    >> table.sortable thead {
    >> background-color:#EEEEEE;
    >> color:#666666;
    >> font: bold 14px Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
    >> cursor: pointer;
    >> }
    >>
    >> I have two problems that are occurring.
    >> 1 - The CSS doesn't seem to be applying as the background color
    >> is not showing properly and the cursor is not a pointer.
    >> 2 - The table only wants to sort in descending order.
    >>
    >> This is inside a huge, proprietary application behind a firewall so I
    >> can't give a pointer to it. So, I tried to make up a simple example.
    >> When I did, the style applied but it didn't sort at all. So,
    >>
    >> 1 - Can someone tell me what is wrong with the examples?
    >> 2 - Would anyone have a clue as to why I might have the
    >> original problem.
    >>
    >> The example is at http://www.sheldonlg.com/sorting.htm and the
    >> javascript is that from url at the top.

    > Perhaps you make an error confusing:
    >
    > sortable
    >
    > and
    >
    > sorttable
    >
    > ?

    Thanks for replying. I am not making an error there. The class is
    sortable and the file is sorttable.js. That is even explicitly pointed
    out on the web site for the files.

    However, I uncovered the problem. The version of sorttable.js I was
    using was a copy from my actual app. It had been modified to work in an
    AJAX environment. When I put the original web version into my simple
    app, it worked fine. However, using that one in the original app caused
    nothing to work, no even in descending order. Obviously, the original
    app version needs more work.
    sheldonlg, Mar 26, 2008
  5. sheldonlg

    sheldonlg Guest

    John Hosking wrote:
    > Posted to alt.html only, because Thunderbird hates cross-posting.

    I use Thunderbird and I submitted it with a crosspost. Also, when I
    reply to a crosspost, it also crossposts.

    See my later reply as to why it worked for you. Thanks anyway.
    sheldonlg, Mar 26, 2008
  6. sheldonlg

    John Hosking Guest

    sheldonlg wrote:
    > John Hosking wrote:
    >> Posted to alt.html only, because Thunderbird hates cross-posting.

    > I use Thunderbird and I submitted it with a crosspost.

    Yeah, I saw that. I'm also sure I've cross-posted in TB before, so I
    don't know what's going wrong. Time for more tests, I guess.

    > Also, when I reply to a crosspost, it also crossposts.

    Perhaps you feed yours better.

    --
    John
    Maybe it's my breath?
    John Hosking, Mar 27, 2008
  7. John Hosking wrote:
    > sheldonlg wrote:
    >> John Hosking wrote:
    >>> Posted to alt.html only, because Thunderbird hates cross-posting.

    >> I use Thunderbird and I submitted it with a crosspost.

    > Yeah, I saw that. I'm also sure I've cross-posted in TB before, so I
    > don't know what's going wrong. Time for more tests, I guess.
    >
    >> Also, when I reply to a crosspost, it also crossposts.

    Click up in the "TO:" panel and below the first "Newsgroup:" entry add
    another like in an email for additional To:, CC:, BCC:, just make sure
    you select "Newsgroup:".

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan