sortable problem

sheldonlg

I am using a table defined as:

Where the class and the javascript are from Stuart Langridge.,
http://www.kryogenix.org/code/browser/sorttable/

The class definition (in a css file) has in it:
table.sortable thead {
background-color:#EEEEEE;
color:#666666;
font: bold 14px Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
cursor: pointer;
}

I have two problems that are occurring.
1 - The CSS doesn't seem to be applying as the background color
is not showing properly and the cursor is not a pointer.
2 - The table only wants to sort in descending order.

This is inside a huge, proprietary application behind a firewall so I
can't give a pointer to it. So, I tried to make up a simple example.
When I did, the style applied but it didn't sort at all. So,

1 - Can someone tell me what is wrong with the examples?
2 - Would anyone have a clue as to why I might have the
original problem.

The example is at http://www.sheldonlg.com/sorting.htm and the
javascript is that from url at the top.

John Hosking

Posted to alt.html only, because Thunderbird hates cross-posting.
I am using a table defined as:

Where the class and the javascript are from Stuart Langridge.,
http://www.kryogenix.org/code/browser/sorttable/
I have two problems that are occurring.
1 - The CSS doesn't seem to be applying as the background color
is not showing properly and the cursor is not a pointer.
2 - The table only wants to sort in descending order.

This is inside a huge, proprietary application behind a firewall so I
can't give a pointer to it. So, I tried to make up a simple example.
When I did, the style applied but it didn't sort at all.
The example is at http://www.sheldonlg.com/sorting.htm and the
javascript is that from url at the top.

Styles for me, sorts for me. FF and IE6. Sorry.

Evertjan.

sheldonlg wrote on 26 mrt 2008 in comp.lang.javascript:
[...]

Perhaps you make an error confusing:

sortable

and

sorttable

?

sheldonlg

Evertjan. said:
sheldonlg wrote on 26 mrt 2008 in comp.lang.javascript:

Perhaps you make an error confusing:

sortable

and

sorttable

?

Thanks for replying. I am not making an error there. The class is
sortable and the file is sorttable.js. That is even explicitly pointed
out on the web site for the files.

However, I uncovered the problem. The version of sorttable.js I was
using was a copy from my actual app. It had been modified to work in an
AJAX environment. When I put the original web version into my simple
app, it worked fine. However, using that one in the original app caused
nothing to work, no even in descending order. Obviously, the original
app version needs more work.

sheldonlg

John said:
Posted to alt.html only, because Thunderbird hates cross-posting.

I use Thunderbird and I submitted it with a crosspost. Also, when I
reply to a crosspost, it also crossposts.

See my later reply as to why it worked for you. Thanks anyway.

John Hosking

sheldonlg said:
I use Thunderbird and I submitted it with a crosspost.

Yeah, I saw that. I'm also sure I've cross-posted in TB before, so I
don't know what's going wrong. Time for more tests, I guess.
Also, when I reply to a crosspost, it also crossposts.

Perhaps you feed yours better.

Jonathan N. Little

John said:
Yeah, I saw that. I'm also sure I've cross-posted in TB before, so I
don't know what's going wrong. Time for more tests, I guess.

Click up in the "TO:" panel and below the first "Newsgroup:" entry add
another like in an email for additional To:, CC:, BCC:, just make sure
you select "Newsgroup:".