sorting 2d arrays using qsort

pete

CBFalconer said:
Probably not, but I could write a lot of software that would meed
the specs and be totally useless. This sort of thing leads to
lawsuits and other things that enhance the lawyers standard of
living.

You're becoming Nilgean.
And all I really said in the first place was "document
what you wrote".

No, it was really strange.
If you're going to use quotes, quote what you wrote.
You said
"In other words you have come to the arbitrary decision that the
highest indexed component of the array is the most significant.
Fine, but you should document it in the comparison routine.
Whether or not this is what the OP wants is unknown."

Now we both know that I can't document an arbitrary decision that the
highest indexed component of the array is the most significant,
because there's nothing like that going on anywhere.

Then you went on to say,
"Notice that the opposite decision,
based on the highest order component of the array,
would have given the same result as far as his example actually went."

.... and since there's no way that that method could produce this:
1 2 3 4 5 6
1 2 5 10 20 30
etc.

from this:
1 2 5 10 20 30
3 7 9 11 15 23
4 14 24 34 40 50
9 10 11 12 13 14
4 8 17 18 27 31
13 19 19 32 41 44
1 2 3 4 5 6
9 18 21 37 47 80
(works fine!)

.... what that tells me mostly,
is just simply that you are confused
and didn't understand the problem to begin with.

Paul Mesken

You're becoming Nilgean.

Don't use that term too lightly. Nilges would have written a 500+ line
article claiming the poster is guilty of imperialism and how the
poster is actually an unknowing minion (brainwashed by George Lucas)
in a dark scheme of shady neocon agents ;-)

I still try to figure out his claim that favoring C over VB is
actually racist. I just can't see the connection (perhaps it's better
that way :)