Sorting <SELECT> elements: .sort is not a function

Teo

Dear all,

I would like to sort the elements of a <SELECT> element.

I tried with

document.forms.filter_form.server_filter.options.sort(
function(a,b) {
// cache values
var v1 = a.text.toLowerCase();
var v2 = b.text.toLowerCase();
// compare
if (v1 > v2) return(1);
if (v1 < v2) return(-1);
return(0);
}
);

but I get the following message:

Error: document.forms.filter_form.server_filter.options.sort is not a
function

document.forms.filter_form.server_filter.options is an array: I can
access and change
document.forms.filter_form.server_filter.options.length and access the
elements (e.g., document.forms.filter_form.server_filter.options.
Why cannot I also access the sort method?

Many thanks for any hint.

Matteo

RobG

Dear all,

I would like to sort the elements of a <SELECT> element.

I tried with

document.forms.filter_form.server_filter.options.sort(
function(a,b) {
// cache values
var v1 = a.text.toLowerCase();
var v2 = b.text.toLowerCase();
// compare
if (v1 > v2) return(1);
if (v1 < v2) return(-1);
return(0);
}
);

but I get the following message:

Error: document.forms.filter_form.server_filter.options.sort is not a
function

document.forms.filter_form.server_filter.options is an array:

Trust the error message, options is not a javascript Array, it is a
DOM HTML collection, which implements the NodeList interface:

I can
access and change
document.forms.filter_form.server_filter.options.length and access the
elements (e.g., document.forms.filter_form.server_filter.options.

Yes, per the spec.
Why cannot I also access the sort method?

Because the NodeList interface doesn't implement it, a HTML collection
isn't a javascript Array. Your function should include loading the
options into an array first, then sort them and finally re-position
them in the collection.

dhtmlkitchen

<URL:http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-2-HTML/html.html#HTMLOptionsCollection

I can
access and change
document.forms.filter_form.server_filter.options.length and access the
elements (e.g., document.forms.filter_form.server_filter.options.

Yes, per the spec.
Why cannot I also access the sort method?

Because the NodeList interface doesn't implement it, a HTML collection
isn't a javascript Array. Your function should include loading the
options into an array first, then sort them and finally re-position
them in the collection.

But the length is writable. It's slightly different than a nodeList,
which should raise an exception on setting length. This feature/bug is
included for backwards compatibility to NS3, I believe. It's actually
quite useful for adding/removing options.

You might be able to get away with using sort() in a generic context
(sort is an Array generic). Most likely, IE will not run this code,
ignoring the spec rec.

Array.prototype.sort.call( options, sortMethod );

I haven't actually tried in IE.

Post your results up.

This will work in IE:

var o = { "1":1, "2":2, "3":3, "0":0, length:3 };
Array.prototype.sort.call( o );

Garrett

Richard Maher

Hi Matteo,

Later RobG wrote: -
Because the NodeList interface doesn't implement it, a HTML collection
isn't a javascript Array. Your function should include loading the
options into an array first, then sort them and finally re-position
them in the collection.

I never new that; but it makes me feel better. I had previously (see below)
had to unload an options collection into an array to sort it, purely (or so
I thought at the time) to get around the problem of my having a "header" row
at option[0]. The fact that the exercise had to be undertaken regardless is
strangely comforting.

Anyway, FWIW there is an example of just such select-list-sorting below. If
you look at the jobList SELECT list you'll see that the onclick event calls
the showDetails() function. If the selectedIndex is zero (they clicked on
the "header" row) then I first check that there's more than one row to sort
and then I pop-up a <div> to ask them what key (select list column) to sort
on. (Could this be done with x/y pixel co-ords for the click?) I then unload
the options[] collection (except for element [0]) into a JavaScript array
and sort it before loading it back into the select-list. (FYI If they
clicked on a row other than the "header" I drill-down into a details
screen/frame)

Hope it helps 'cos (at least to me) it sounds relevant to what you're trying
to do. (Sorry to reproduce the whole thing so soon after posting it to
another question but cut/pasting would take some time and then I'd probably
miss out a bit, or it wouldn't make sense out of context. Either way it's
diskspace not trees so just don't print it all :)

Cheers Richard Maher

PS. The code also contains RobG's suggestion (or my dodgy implementation of
it :) of using node-cloning to speed up performance when tearing down a
select-list before repopulating it. Thanks again Rob.

"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

content="revealtrans(duration=1.5,transition=13)"/>

<head>

body
{
color: Black;
background-color: White;
font-family: Times;
font-size: 16px;
font-weight: normal;
font-style: normal;
margin-left: 5px;
margin-right: 5px;
text-align: left;
}

select#jobList option
{
white-space: pre;
}

select#queList option
{
white-space: pre;
}

.header
{
color: Turquoise;
font-size: 22px;
font-weight: bold;
}

.credits
{
color: Turquoise;
font-family: Georgia;
}

.waiting
{
width: 100%;
text-align: right;
font-family: Georgia;
font-size: 150%;
font-weight: bold;
}

.greenScreen
{
color: Lime;
background-color: Black;
font-family: Fixed-Width, Monospace;
white-space: pre;
}

.revLeft
{
background-color: AliceBlue;
color: Black;
font-family: Fixed-Width, Monospace;
font-weight: normal;
font-size: 14px;
text-align: left;
}

.revRight
{
background-color: AliceBlue;
color: Black;
font-family: Fixed-Width, Monospace;
font-weight: normal;
font-size: 14px;
text-align: right;
}

.floater
{
position: absolute;
z-index: 1000;
visibility: hidden;
left: 83px;
top: 123px;
padding: 0px;
font-family: Fixed-Width, Monospace;
font-weight: normal;
font-size: 14px;
}

.sortPanel
{
background-color: AliceBlue;
color: blue;
border: thin ridge blue;
position: absolute;
z-index: 1000;
visibility: hidden;
left: 455px;
top: 242px;
width: 115px;
height: 170px;
margin: 5px;
padding: 0px;
}

.sortHead
{
text-align: center;
color: Black;
font-size: 16px;
font-weight: bold;
}

.options
{
font-family: Fixed-Width, Monospace;
font-weight: normal;
font-size: 14px;
background-color: AliceBlue;
color: Black;
white-space: pre;
}

<script type="text/javascript" src="common.js"></script>

<script type="text/javascript">

function msgField(name, offset, length)
{
this.name = name;
this.offset = offset;
this.length = length;
}

var field = new Array(5);
field[0] = new msgField("entryNumber", 0, 10);
field[1] = new msgField("jobName" , 11, 39);
field[2] = new msgField("jobStatus" , 51, 15);
field[3] = new msgField("queName" , 67, 31);
field[4] = new msgField("queType" , 99, 10);
field[5] = new msgField("queStatus" , 110, 10);

var msgGetInfo = "10";
var jobInfo = "11";
var msgQueName = "40";
var jobByQue = "60";
var queName = "41";
var eofInfo = "99";
var eofLen = 3;
var jobMsgLen = 115;
var queNameLen = 31;
var msgQue = "";
var lastMsgQue = "";
var spaceFill = " ";
var zeroFill = "0000000000";
var maxRows = "00000"; //Unlimited
var maxReadTime = 10000;
var waitInterval = 700;
var sortKey = 0;
var sortIndex = 0;
var optIndex = 0;
var strA = "";
var strB = "";
var alertMsg = "Error retrieving job entry information:\n";
var timeoutMsg = "Request timeout has expired.<br />" +
"Increase the timeout value if server is under load."

var rc;
var outPad;
var ok;
var msgEntry;
var intId;
var abortBackColor;
var sendBackColor;
var abortValue;
var cancelCount;
var closureType;
var target;
var waitCount;
var waitColors;
var waitText;
var bytesIn;
var queList;
var quePopUp;
var eventTarget;
var radioTarget;
var labelTarget;
var labels;
var labelIndex;
var sortBy;
var exitSort;
var selectClone;
var swapClone;
var evt;
var keyCode;

function load()
{
selectRef = document.getJobs.jobList;
selectClone = selectRef.cloneNode(true);
queList = document.queOptions.queList;
waitColors = new Array("blue","lime","yellow","orange","red");
waitText = document.getElementById("stallMsg");
quePopUp = document.getElementById("queInfo");
labels = document.getElementsByTagName("label");
sortBy = document.getElementById("sortBy");
exitSort = document.getElementById("r7");

try
{
chan = parent.cornucopiae.chan;
chan.setTimeout(maxReadTime);
document.getJobs.queName.focus();
}
catch(err)
{
return false;

function lockDown()
{

document.getJobs.send.disabled=true;
sendBackColor = document.getJobs.send.style.backgroundColor;
document.getJobs.send.style.backgroundColor="Silver";
document.getJobs.send.blur();

document.getJobs.queName.disabled=true;
document.getJobs.entryNumber.disabled=true;
document.getJobs.jobList.disabled=true;

abortValue=document.getJobs.reqAbort.value;
abortBackColor = document.getJobs.reqAbort.style.backgroundColor;
document.getJobs.reqAbort.style.backgroundColor="Red";
document.getJobs.reqAbort.disabled=false;

cancelCount = zeros;

return true;
}

function openUp()
{
document.getJobs.reqAbort.disabled=true;
document.getJobs.reqAbort.style.backgroundColor=abortBackColor;
document.getJobs.reqAbort.value=abortValue;

document.getJobs.send.style.backgroundColor=sendBackColor;
document.getJobs.send.disabled=false;
document.getJobs.queName.disabled=false;
document.getJobs.entryNumber.disabled=false;
if (selectRef.options.length > 1)
document.getJobs.jobList.disabled=false;

document.getJobs.queName.focus();

return true;
}

function sendOOB(OOBchar)
{
if (document.getJobs.reqAbort.disabled)
{
alert("Request already complete.");
return;
}

cancelCount++
chan.sendUrgentData(OOBchar);
document.getJobs.reqAbort.value="Aborts Sent " + String(cancelCount);
document.getJobs.reqAbort.blur();

return;
}

function enter(nextfield,e)
{
evt = e || window.event;

try
{
target = evt.srcElement.name;
}
catch (err)
{
target = evt.target.name;
}

if (evt.type == "keypress")
{
keyCode = evt.which || evt.keyCode;

if ((keyCode == 8) ||
(keyCode == 9) ||
(keyCode == 45) ||
(keyCode == 46) ||
(keyCode == 37) ||
(keyCode == 39))
return true;
else
if (keyCode == 13)
{
nextfield.focus();
return false;
}
else
{
if ((target == "entryNumber") &&
(keyCode < 48 || keyCode > 57))
return false;
else
return true;

function selectQue()
{
if ((queList.selectedIndex >= queList.length) ||
(queList.selectedIndex == -1))
{
document.getJobs.queName.focus();
return true;
}

document.getJobs.queName.value =
queList.options[queList.selectedIndex].text.rTrim();
document.getJobs.send.focus();

return true;
}

function queLookup()
{
msgQue = document.getJobs.queName.value.toUpperCase();
if (msgQue == lastMsgQue)
return true;

lastMsgQue = msgQue;
quePopUp.style.visibility="hidden";

if (msgQue.rTrim() == "")
return true;

queList.size = 2;
queList.length = zeros;

outPad = spaceFill.substring(0, (spaceFill.length - msgQue.length));
chan.sendMessage(msgQueName.concat(msgQue,outPad));

recType = recvAndGet(recTypeLen);
if (!recType)
return;

while (recType == queName)
{
if (chan.readMessage(queNameLen) == queNameLen)
msgQue = chan.getString(0,queNameLen);
else
return true;

queList.options[queList.length] = new Option (msgQue, msgQue);

recType = recvAndGet(recTypeLen);
}

if (recType == errorInfo)
{
if (chan.readMessage() < errLenLen)
reportError("Error receiving Error Length from server");

return true;
}

if (recType != eofInfo)
{
reportError("Invalid recType " + recType + " received from
server");
return true;
}

if (queList.length == zeros)
return true;

if (queList.length == 1 && lastMsgQue.rTrim() == msgQue.rTrim())
return true;

if (queList.length > 2)
if (queList.length < 7)
queList.size=queList.length;
else
queList.size=7;

queList.selectedIndex = -1;
quePopUp.style.visibility="visible";

return true;
}

function jobLookup()
{
msgQue = document.getJobs.queName.value.toUpperCase();
msgEntry = document.getJobs.entryNumber.value;
if (msgEntry.length > zeros && parseInt(msgEntry,10) == zeros)
msgEntry = "";

if (msgEntry.length != zeros && msgQue.rTrim() != "")
{
alert("Please enter a Queue Name or a Job Entry Number, but not
both.");
return true;
}

lockDown();

document.getJobs.recCount.value = 0;

outPad = "";
ok = true;
msgEntry = "";

selectRef.size = 1;
swapClone = selectClone.cloneNode(true);
selectRef.parentNode.replaceChild(swapClone, selectRef);
selectRef = document.getJobs.jobList;

if (msgQue.rTrim() == "")
{
msgEntry = document.getJobs.entryNumber.value;
outPad = zeroFill.substring(0, (zeroFill.length -
msgEntry.length));
chan.sendMessage(msgGetInfo.concat(outPad,msgEntry,maxRows));
}
else
{
outPad = spaceFill.substring(0, (spaceFill.length -
msgQue.length));
chan.sendMessage(jobByQue.concat(msgQue,outPad));
}

waitCount = 0
chan.setTimeout(waitInterval);
dclAST("getResponse()");

return true;
}

function getResponse()
{
bytesIn = chan.readMessage(recTypeLen);
if (bytesIn == 0)
{
if (waitCount == waitColors.length)
{
reportError(timeoutMsg);
return;
}
else
{
if (waitText.innerHTML == "")
{
waitText.style.color = waitColors[waitCount];
waitText.innerHTML = "Waiting. . .";
waitCount++
}
else
{
waitText.innerHTML = "";
}
dclAST("getResponse()");
return;

if (bytesIn != recTypeLen)
{
reportError("Error receiving reply from server 1");
return;
}

waitText.innerHTML = "";
chan.setTimeout(maxReadTime);

recType = chan.getString(0,recTypeLen);

if (recType == jobInfo)
{
rc = 1;
dclAST("processJobs()");
}
else
{
if (recType == errorInfo)
{
dclAST("processError()");
}
else
{
reportError("Unknown message type " + recType);
return;

return;
}

function processError()
{
if (chan.readMessage() < errLenLen)
{
reportError("Error receiving Error Length from server");
return;
}

errMsgLen = parseInt(chan.getString(0,errLenLen),10);
alert(alertMsg + chan.getString(errLenLen,errMsgLen));
openUp();

return;
}

function processJobs()
{
if (chan.readMessage(jobMsgLen) != jobMsgLen)
{
alert ("Error receiving Job Information from server");
return;
}

if (cancelCount == zeros)
{
document.getJobs.recCount.value = rc;

jobMsg = chan.getString(0,10) + "|" +
chan.getString(10,39) + "|" +
chan.getString(49,15) + "|" +
chan.getString(64,31) + "|" +
chan.getString(95,10) + "|" +
chan.getString(105,10);

selectRef.options[selectRef.options.length] = new Option (jobMsg,
jobMsg);

rc++;
if (rc < 6)
selectRef.size = rc;
}

if (chan.readMessage(recTypeLen) != recTypeLen)
{
reportError("Error receiving reply from server 2");
return;
}

recType = chan.getString(0,recTypeLen);
if (recType == jobInfo)
{
dclAST("processJobs()");
return;
}

if (selectRef.length != 1)
selectRef.selectedIndex = -1;

openUp();

if (recType != eofInfo)
{
reportError("Error receiving reply from server 3");
return;
}

if (chan.readMessage(eofLen) != eofLen)
{
reportError("Error receiving reply from server 4");
return;
}

closureType = chan.getString(0,eofLen);

if (closureType == "CAN" || cancelCount != zeros)
alert("Request curtailed\nby operator.");
else
if (closureType != "EOF")
reportError("Error receiving reply from server 5");

return;
}

function showDetails()
{
if (selectRef.selectedIndex == zeros)
{
selectRef.options[zeros].selected=false;
selectRef.selectedIndex = -1;
if(selectRef.length < 3)
alert("Nothing to Sort.")
else
{
sortBy.style.visibility="visible";
exitSort.checked=true;
exitSort.focus();
}
return false;
}

parent.entry_details.getReady();
parent.document.getElementById("main").rows="30px,0px,*";
return true;
}

function menuMove(e)
{
evt = e || window.event;

eventTarget = eventTarget=evt.srcElement || evt.currentTarget;

if (eventTarget.type == "radio")
{
radioTarget = eventTarget;
for (labelIndex = 0; labelIndex < labels.length; labelIndex++)
if (labels[labelIndex].htmlFor == radioTarget.id)
{
labelTarget=labels[labelIndex];
break;
else
{
labelTarget = eventTarget;
radioTarget = document.getElementById(labelTarget.htmlFor)
}

if (evt.type == "mouseover")
{
labelTarget.style.color = "turquoise";
radioTarget.checked = true;
}

if (evt.type == "mouseout")
labelTarget.style.color = "blue";

return true;
}

function sortIt(keyField)
{
var sortScratch = new Array();
sortScratch.length = selectRef.length - 1;

for (sortIndex=0; sortIndex<sortScratch.length; sortIndex++)
sortScratch[sortIndex] = selectRef.options[sortIndex + 1].value;

sortKey = keyField;
sortScratch.sort(colCompare);

optIndex = 1;
for (sortIndex in sortScratch)
{
selectRef.options[optIndex].value = sortScratch[sortIndex];
selectRef.options[optIndex].text = sortScratch[sortIndex];
optIndex++;
}

return;

}

function colCompare(a,b)
{
strA =
a.substr(field[sortKey].offset,field[sortKey].length).toUpperCase();
strB =
b.substr(field[sortKey].offset,field[sortKey].length).toUpperCase();

if (strA < strB)
return -1;

if (strA > strB)
return 1;

return zeros;

}

function hideQues()
{
if (quePopUp.style.visibility != "hidden")
quePopUp.style.visibility="hidden";

return;

}

</script>

</head>

Server on VMS<br /></span>

<form name="getJobs">

Queue Name:
<input
type="text"
class="revLeft"
style="text-transform: uppercase"
onkeypress="return enter(document.getJobs.entryNumber, event)"
onkeyup="return queLookup()"
name="queName"
maxlength=31
size=31
title="Enter the Queue Name [Wildcards '*' and '%' are
permitted]"
/>

Job Entry Number:
<input
type="text"
class="revRight"
onfocus="hideQues();"
onkeypress="return enter(document.getJobs.send, event)"
name="entryNumber"
maxlength=10
size=10
dir="rtl"
title="Enter the Job Entry Number [Default is All My Jobs]"
/>

<input
type="button"
style="background-color:Turquoise; color:Black;"
onfocus="hideQues();"
onclick="jobLookup()"
name="send"
value="Get Job Info."
title="Get results from Tier3 Server"
/>

Jobs Found:
<input
type="text"
class="revRight"
name="recCount"
readonly="readonly"
value="0"
size=5
title="Number of matching jobs found in last request"
/>

<input
type="button"
onclick="sendOOB(33);"
name="reqAbort"
value="Abort Request"
disabled="disabled"
title="Send an Abort request to the server"
/>

<select
name="jobList"
id="jobList"
disabled="disabled"
onfocus="hideQues();"
onclick="return showDetails()"
class="greenScreen">
<option
id="lovHdr"
style="color:Black; background-color:Turquoise;"
Entry Nbr-|Job Name-------------------------------|Job
Status-----|Queue Name---------------------|Queue Type|Status----</o
ption>
</select>
</form>

This is an example of a browser-based, html and JavaScript,
client interacting with a VMS hosted Application Server in
a connection-oriented and context-rich Tier3 environment.<br /><br />

You would have noticed that, when this page was initially displayed,
you were immediately prompted for your VMS Username and Password.
Once authorization is successful your credentials, and an accompanying
Persona, are automatically made available to your 3GL User Action
Routines each time their Server Process is chosen to perform work on
behalf of the client. In this example, the user only gets to see those
Print and Batch jobs that they have privileges to view. You can find
the corresponding server code for this example (demo_uars.cob) in your
t3$examples directory.<br /><br />

Your Tier3 session and server connection are terminated when you change
web pages or refresh this page.</p></div>
<hr><br />
"Tier3" is a registered trademark of Tier3 Software Ltd<br />
"CornuCopiae" is a trademark of Richard Maher<br /></span>
id="queInfo"
class="floater"
style="visibility: hidden"<form name="queOptions">
<select name="queList" class="options" onclick="return
selectQue()"></select>
</form>
id="sortBy"
class="sortPanel"<form
name="sortMenu"
style="font-size: 14px; margin-bottom: 0px;"<div class="sortHead">Sort By</div>

<input
type="radio"
name="sortKey"
id="r1"
class="sortButton"
onmouseover="menuMove(event)"
onmouseout ="menuMove(event)"
onmousedown="sortIt(0)"
/>

<label for="r1"
onmouseover="menuMove(event)"
onmouseout="menuMove(event)"
onmousedown="sortIt(0)"
Entry Number</label><br />

<input
type="radio"
name="sortKey"
id="r2"
class="sortButton"
onmouseover="menuMove(event)"
onmouseout="menuMove(event)"
onmousedown="sortIt(1)"
/>

<label for="r2"
onmouseover="menuMove(event)"
onmouseout="menuMove(event)"
onmousedown="sortIt(1)"
Job Name</label><br />

<input
type="radio"
name="sortKey"
id="r3"
class="sortButton"
onmouseover="menuMove(event)"
onmouseout="menuMove(event)"
onmousedown="sortIt(2)"
/>

<label for="r3"
onmouseover="menuMove(event)"
onmouseout="menuMove(event)"
onmousedown="sortIt(2)"
Job Status</label><br />

<input
type="radio"
name="sortKey"
id="r4"
class="sortButton"
onmouseover="menuMove(event)"
onmouseout="menuMove(event)"
onmousedown="sortIt(3)"
/>

<label for="r4"
onmouseover="menuMove(event)"
onmouseout="menuMove(event)"
onmousedown="sortIt(3)"
Queue Name</label><br />

<input
type="radio"
name="sortKey"
id="r5"
class="sortButton"
onmouseover="menuMove(event)"
onmouseout="menuMove(event)"
onmousedown="sortIt(4)"
/>

<label for="r5"
onmouseover="menuMove(event)"
onmouseout="menuMove(event)"
onmousedown="sortIt(4)"
Queue Type</label><br />

<input
type="radio"
name="sortKey"
id="r6"
class="sortButton"
onmouseover="menuMove(event)"
onmouseout="menuMove(event)"
onmousedown="sortIt(5)"
/>

<label for="r6"
onmouseover="menuMove(event)"
onmouseout="menuMove(event)"
onmousedown="sortIt(5)"
Queue Status</label><br />

<input
type="radio"
name="sortKey"
id="r7"
checked="checked"
class="sortButton"
onmouseover="menuMove(event)"
onmouseout="menuMove(event)"
onclick="document.getJobs.queName.focus()"
onblur='sortBy.style.visibility="hidden"'

/>
<label for="r7"
onmouseover="menuMove(event)"
onmouseout="menuMove(event)"
Exit</label>

</form>

RobG

Trust the error message, options is not a javascript Array, it is a
DOM HTML collection, which implements the NodeList interface:

I can
access and change
document.forms.filter_form.server_filter.options.length and access the
elements (e.g., document.forms.filter_form.server_filter.options.

Yes, per the spec.
Because the NodeList interface doesn't implement it, a HTML collection
isn't a javascript Array. Your function should include loading the
options into an array first, then sort them and finally re-position
them in the collection.

But the length is writable. It's slightly different than a nodeList,

In common browsers at least, yes. Whether UAs support setting the
length in general is implementation dependent.

which should raise an exception on setting length. This feature/bug is
included for backwards compatibility to NS3, I believe. It's actually
quite useful for adding/removing options.

You might be able to get away with using sort() in a generic context
(sort is an Array generic). Most likely, IE will not run this code,
ignoring the spec rec.

Array.prototype.sort.call( options, sortMethod );

Where sortMethod is something like:

// Expects a an b to be references to option elements
// whose values are numbers.
function sortOptionsByValueAsNumber(a, b){

var sel = a.parentNode;

if (+a.value < +b.value){
sel.insertBefore(b, a.nextSibling);
return -1;
}

if (+a.value > +b.value){
sel.insertBefore(a, b.nextSibling);
return 1;
}

return 0;
}
I haven't actually tried in IE.

Don't bother, it doesn't work. ;-)

Post your results up.

This will work in IE:

var o = { "1":1, "2":2, "3":3, "0":0, length:3 };
Array.prototype.sort.call( o );

If "work" means does something and doesn't raise any errors when run,
OK.

But it seems futile to sort something that is defined as having no
order and is therefore unsortable in the sense that an array or list
is sortable. If array-ness is required, the first choice is to use an
Array.

If an Array doesn't do the job, the OP should either create a custom
object that behaves as required, or create functions that act on a
supplied object and achieve the required result (in this case, the re-
indexing of an options collection). A plain object can't be relied
upon to keep its order even if you could prove that it was ever
sorted.

Below is a link to an example posted by Martin Honnen in 2000, it's a
bubble sort and so likely very slow for more than say 100 options, but
for short lists, it should be fine:

Matt Kruse's Javascript Toolbox has a more modern version:

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

RobG said:
[...] options [...] is a DOM HTML collection,

It isn't. Unless you mean "DOM HTML" collection, not DOM "HTML collection"
(HTMLCollection).
which implements the NodeList interface:

It implements the HTMLOptionCollection interface:

If HTMLOptionCollection extended anything (here: ExtendedInterface), the IDL
would look like

interface HTMLOptionsCollection : ExtendedInterface {

PointedEars

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

RobG said:
Error: document.forms.filter_form.server_filter.options.sort is not a
function
document.forms.filter_form.server_filter.options is an array:
Trust the error message, options is not a javascript Array, it is a
DOM HTML collection, which implements the NodeList interface:
<URL:http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-2-HTML/html.html#HTMLOptionsCollection
I can
access and change
document.forms.filter_form.server_filter.options.length and access the
elements (e.g., document.forms.filter_form.server_filter.options.
Yes, per the spec.
Why cannot I also access the sort method?
Because the NodeList interface doesn't implement it,

NodeList is irrelevant here. `options' is NOT a NodeList object.
In common browsers at least, yes. Whether UAs support setting the
length in general is implementation dependent.

Well, they SHOULD, if not even MUST, support that if they implement the
HTMLOptionsCollection interface for `options'. The `length' attribute
is not `readonly' per the IDL.

PointedEars

Teo

[...]

Many thanks to all of you. It's the first time I have to do something
with Javascript and I understand now that I have to learn a little bit
more about it :)

In any case thanks again.

Matteo

dhtmlkitchen

In common browsers at least, yes. Whether UAs support setting the
length in general is implementation dependent.

Not according to the link to:
http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-2-HTML/html.html#HTMLOptionsCollection

interface HTMLOptionsCollection {
attribute unsigned long length;
// raises(DOMException) on
setting

In reality, implementations let you set the length, which is useful. I
guess in that sense, it is implementation dependent.
Where sortMethod is something like:

// Expects a an b to be references to option elements
// whose values are numbers.
function sortOptionsByValueAsNumber(a, b){

var sel = a.parentNode;

if (+a.value < +b.value){
sel.insertBefore(b, a.nextSibling);
return -1;
}

if (+a.value > +b.value){
sel.insertBefore(a, b.nextSibling);
return 1;
}

return 0;

}
I was thinking along the lines of the original sort function Teo
provided.

It would, in that case, require removal of the select from the
defaultView

select = select.parentNode.removeChild( select );
Array.prototype.sort.call( select.options, teoSort );

Don't bother, it doesn't work. ;-)
I'm utterly shocked. ;)

If "work" means does something and doesn't raise any errors when run,
OK.
It works in the sense that it does what it's expected to do, -- that's
more than just 'something'.
But it seems futile to sort something that is defined as having no
order and is therefore unsortable in the sense that an array or list
is sortable. If array-ness is required, the first choice is to use an
Array.
It's an example just to show that sort() is a generic method.

But it does actually sort the object; it has potential use. I could
see creating a data structure from an object. You can't actually
extend Array in IE. Bummer, huh? So you can create a custom object,
then create a length property. In the past, I've opted to use a
composite approach with an internal array, but I think this object-
with-a-length approach is worth trying out.