Sorting using Dynamic Template Columns

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Datagrid Control' started by Susil Patro, Jun 1, 2004.

  1. Susil Patro

    Susil Patro Guest

    Hi all,

    We are facing a problem while using ASP.NET Datagrid Template Columns
    generated dynamically.

    Scenario:
    -------------

    1) We have a custom datagrid control class (inheriting from
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGrid).
    In the constructor of the class we dynamically register the
    OnSortCommand for the grid.

    2) We have another custom CustomHeaderTemplate class inheriting from
    ITemplate, which we are using to customize the header
    column template for our custom DataGrid control.

    3) In the BindData event of this class, we are adding a LinkButton an
    set the properties as follows.

    ---
    DataGridItem container = (DataGridItem) pnl.NamingContainer;
    LinkButton lb = new LinkButton();
    lb.Text = "Employee Name";
    lb.CommandName = "sort";
    lb.CommandArgument = "EmpName"; //Name of the Column in the grid
    DataSource
    container.Controls.Add(tb);
    ---

    4) In the aspx page containing the grid, we are setting the
    HeaderTemplate of the grid to this custom class

    DataGridObject.HeaderTemplate = new CustomHeaderTemplate ();

    5) The Link buttons appear fine in the column header, but when we
    click on it, the OnSortCommand command of our custom datagrid does not
    fire.

    Could anyone please let know what else needs to be done in order for
    the Sort Command to fire in the case of dynamic DataGrid Template
    Columns?

    Appreciate your help and thanks in advance.

    Regards,
    Susil Patro
    Susil Patro, Jun 1, 2004