Source code formatter?

Surendra Singhi

Hello,
Are there any good open source C/C++ source code formatter?

Thanks for your help.
--
Surendra Singhi
http://www.public.asu.edu/~sksinghi/index.html

,----
| "O thou my friend! The prosperity of Crime is like unto the lightning,
| whose traitorous brilliancies embellish the atmosphere but for an
| instant, in order to hurl into death's very depths the luckless one
| they have dazzled." -- Marquis de Sade
`----

Michael O'Keeffe

EventHelix.com said:
Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition has a pretty good source formatter
built into it. It is available for $0.00.
The requirement was 'open source', not free, so much as I like VC for
basic tasks like formatting, compiling, managing projects (just the
basics, I don't need the wizards) it doesn't meet the minimum
standards.

This one is distributed with some of the the Ruby downloads, and also
seems popular for C++, and many other languages, according to their
"related projects" page. Judging from the 'look and feel' it seems to
borrow quite a bit from Emacs, and note under "Documents" the reference
to the book "The Craft of Text Editing", about Emacs.
From the website:
"Scintilla is a free source code editing component. It comes with
complete source code and a license that permits use in any free project
or commercial product."

http://www.scintilla.org/

Stewart Gordon

Surendra said:
Hello,
Are there any good open source C/C++ source code formatter?

Thanks for your help.

Has "formatter" caught on since my time as a synonym for "beautifier"?
At first I thought you were talking about utilities that translate
source code into some document format with syntax highlighting (like
code2html). But all the other replies seem to be talking about
beautifiers. Is this what you meant?

Stewart.

--

the 'group where everyone may benefit.

Ira Baxter

Has "formatter" caught on since my time as a synonym for "beautifier"?
At first I thought you were talking about utilities that translate
source code into some document format with syntax highlighting (like
code2html). But all the other replies seem to be talking about
beautifiers.

People make up names for tools. The terms "formatter", "beautifier"
and "prettyprinter" seem equally used for this type of program,
across many different languages.

-- IDB