SourceDataLine Problem

Discussion in 'Java' started by Brad Grier, Feb 5, 2004.

  1. Brad Grier

    Brad Grier Guest

    A while back I implemented sound using javax.sound.sampled into my Tandy
    Color Computer 2 applet.

    The Color Computer had a 6-bit DAC used to generate audio. I basically
    take the values written to the DAC and then feed them (although at a
    much higher rate) into a SourceDataLine.

    The problem is that the sound can crackle or break up depending on the
    program emulated. I can prevent this by either feeding the data to the
    SorceDataLine at a higher rate or by reducing the sample rate on the
    AudioFormat. Both of these methods fix the breakups but then the pitch
    drops enough that the sound is no longer accurately emulated.

    I just don't understand the workings of javax.sound.sampled well enough
    to figure out a workaround for this problem - it seems like it should be
    possible.

    Any ideas?

    Brad

    Mocha - The Tandy Color Computer 2 Applet
    http://members.cox.net/javacoco/
    Brad Grier, Feb 5, 2004