    --
    Luigi Donatello Asero
    谢谢你, ÑпаÑибо, tack sÃ¥ mycket!

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Oct 6, 2006

    news:7MvVg.19204$...
    > Hello!
    > I wonder whether it is
    > some words in Swedish in a page which is basically in Italian.
    > For example <span lang=sv>Moderaterna</span>
    > and so on.

    Sorry for the mistake in the topic of the thread.
    I meant <span lang="sv">

    --
    Luigi Donatello Asero
    谢谢你, ÑпаÑибо, tack sÃ¥ mycket!

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Oct 6, 2006

    http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/dirlang.html#h-8.1

    Harlan Messinger, Oct 6, 2006
  4. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Andy Dingley Guest

    Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

    > I wonder whether it is
    > some words in Swedish in a page which is basically in Italian.

    Yes.

    Although it's unusual to insert a single word of a foreign language.
    Usually there would be a whole paragraph or similar, in which case you
    can just add the lang attribute to the existing element, you don't need
    to add a <span> especially.

    Andy Dingley, Oct 6, 2006
  5. "Harlan Messinger" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > > Hello!
    > > I wonder whether it is
    > > some words in Swedish in a page which is basically in Italian.
    > > For example <span lang=sv>Moderaterna</span>
    > > and so on.

    > http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/dirlang.html#h-8.1

    There is an example there with
    Q lang="en"

    What is "Q"?
    Where is it defined?
    --
    Luigi Donatello Asero
    谢谢你, ÑпаÑибо, tack sÃ¥ mycket!

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Oct 6, 2006
  6. Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > "Harlan Messinger" <> skrev i meddelandet
    >> Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    >>> Hello!
    >>> I wonder whether it is
    >>> some words in Swedish in a page which is basically in Italian.
    >>> For example <span lang=sv>Moderaterna</span>
    >>> and so on.

    >> http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/dirlang.html#h-8.1

    > There is an example there with
    > Q lang="en"
    >
    > What is "Q"?
    > Where is it defined?

    Like all of HTML, it's defined in the same specification.

    Harlan Messinger, Oct 6, 2006
  7. "Harlan Messinger" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > > "Harlan Messinger" <> skrev i

    meddelandet
    > >> http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/dirlang.html#h-8.1

    > > There is an example there with
    > > Q lang="en"
    > >
    > > What is "Q"?
    > > Where is it defined?

    > Like all of HTML, it's defined in the same specification.

    As far as I understand it should be used to quote instead of using the
    question marks.
    But my question is whether a possible use should be to write a term in the
    original question preceded
    by <G lang="sv"> when it is provided a translation of this term or
    expression in the main language which is used in the text of the page or if
    that should only be applied while reporting a speech.
    --
    Luigi Donatello Asero
    谢谢你, ÑпаÑибо, tack sÃ¥ mycket!

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Oct 6, 2006
  8. Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > "Harlan Messinger" <> skrev i meddelandet
    >> Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    >>> "Harlan Messinger" <> skrev i

    > meddelandet
    >>> There is an example there with
    >>> Q lang="en"
    >>>
    >>> What is "Q"?
    >>> Where is it defined?

    >> Like all of HTML, it's defined in the same specification.

    > As far as I understand it should be used to quote instead of using the
    > question marks.
    > But my question is whether a possible use should be to write a term in the
    > original question preceded
    > by <G lang="sv"> when it is provided a translation of this term or
    > expression in the main language which is used in the text of the page or if
    > that should only be applied while reporting a speech.

    In case this is part of your confusion, whether you are using a Q tag
    has nothing to do with whether you would be using a lang attribute. The
    spec just happened to use Q in that particular example.

    The point is that you mark text that's in in a language different from
    the document's main language so that, in theory, the user agent will
    know to *process* it as that language instead of as the base language,
    whether it's for purposes of spell-checking, highlighting, italicizing,
    applying CSS attribute-based selectors, etc. You don't have to, and
    these days I suspect that browsers don't do anything with that
    information, but that's what it's for.

    Harlan Messinger, Oct 7, 2006
  9. "Harlan Messinger" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > > "Harlan Messinger" <> skrev i

    meddelandet

    > > meddelandet

    > >> Like all of HTML, it's defined in the same specification.

    > > As far as I understand it should be used to quote instead of using the
    > > question marks.
    > > But my question is whether a possible use should be to write a term in

    the
    > > original question preceded
    > > by <G lang="sv"> when it is provided a translation of this term or
    > > expression in the main language which is used in the text of the page or

    if
    > > that should only be applied while reporting a speech.

    > In case this is part of your confusion, whether you are using a Q tag
    > has nothing to do with whether you would be using a lang attribute. The
    > spec just happened to use Q in that particular example.

    No, you misunderstood me.

    > The point is that you mark text that's in in a language different from
    > the document's main language so that, in theory, the user agent will
    > know to *process* it as that language instead of as the base language,
    > whether it's for purposes of spell-checking, highlighting, italicizing,
    > applying CSS attribute-based selectors, etc. You don't have to, and
    > these days I suspect that browsers don't do anything with that
    > information, but that's what it's for.

    Are you talking about "lang", aren´t you ?

    --
    Luigi Donatello Asero
    谢谢你, ÑпаÑибо, tack sÃ¥ mycket!

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Oct 7, 2006