Spawning, and Killing, a Process

Discussion in 'Python' started by brolewis, Jan 31, 2005.

  1. brolewis

    brolewis Guest

    I am writing a program on Windows (XP Pro) that as part of the
    application takes advantage of rsync's ability to synchronize a client
    and server computer. However, because of the nature of our company's
    policies and our proxy, I must connect using SSH and use it as a tunnel
    to get to the location I need on the inside.

    My delimma is that I need to be able to spawn a process that uses the
    SSH, runs rsync, and then I need to be able to kill the SSH process and
    do not know a way to do that in Windows. I also would prefer to have
    SSH run invisible to the end user (no new window) which I get when
    using spawnl

    The commands I am running are as follows:

    SSH Tunnel:
    ssh -i file_name -L
    873:200.200.60.60:7000 -N

    Rsync Command:
    rsync -azv rsync_user@127.0.0.1::package .

    I am aware that you should be able to run ssh inside of rsync but there
    seems to be a problem with the port of rsync that prevents me from
    accomplishing this.
    I thank you in advance for any assistance you are able to give.
    brolewis, Jan 31, 2005