Special Characters in Query String

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by SMG, May 7, 2005.

  1. SMG

    SMG Guest

    Hi All,
    I have created an application which is working fine and is in about to
    launch, now suddenly my mgmt says there are chances that Scrip ID( a
    particular id and not prim key) may have special characters like '&,*,),( or
    /'

    This data(field/key) I am passing this value as a querystring. e.g.

    value to be passed : ABC
    http://localhost/myProj/abc.aspx?ScripID=ABC
    this works fine,

    But when I have special characters like [ABC&D] then the value retrieved is
    wrong it just retrieves ABC and not complete ID [ABC&D]
    value to be passed : ABC&D
    http://localhost/myProj/abc.aspx?ScripID=ABC&D

    how do I overcome this, I know I can do it like we have %20 for space and
    like wise for & there will be something, but this will be a major change to
    my application, can I do this at one end some where in web.config or in aspx
    page?

    Regards,
    Shailesh Gajare

    SMG, May 7, 2005

  2. SMG wrote:

    > But when I have special characters like [ABC&D] then the value retrieved is
    > wrong it just retrieves ABC and not complete ID [ABC&D]
    > value to be passed : ABC&D
    > http://localhost/myProj/abc.aspx?ScripID=ABC&D
    >
    > how do I overcome this, I know I can do it like we have %20 for space and
    > like wise for & there will be something, but this will be a major change to
    > my application, can I do this at one end some where in web.config or in aspx
    > page?

    You have to UrlEncode the string you are passing as a querystring:

    strQuery = HttpUtility.UrlEncode(strQuery, System.Text.Encoding.Default)

    Kim :eek:)

    Kim Bach Petersen, May 7, 2005

  3. SMG

    Joerg Jooss Guest

    Kim Bach Petersen wrote:

    > SMG wrote:
    >
    > > But when I have special characters like [ABC&D] then the value
    > > retrieved is wrong it just retrieves ABC and not complete ID [ABC&D]
    > > value to be passed : ABC&D
    > > http://localhost/myProj/abc.aspx?ScripID=ABC&D
    > >
    > > how do I overcome this, I know I can do it like we have %20 for
    > > space and like wise for & there will be something, but this will be
    > > a major change to my application, can I do this at one end some
    > > where in web.config or in aspx page?

    > You have to UrlEncode the string you are passing as a querystring:
    >
    > strQuery = HttpUtility.UrlEncode(strQuery,
    > System.Text.Encoding.Default)

    I suggest using a more web-friendly encoding than some Windows specific
    default, e.g. ISO-8859-1 or UTF-8.

    Cheers,
    --
    http://www.joergjooss.de
    mailto:

    Joerg Jooss, May 7, 2005
  4. Joerg Jooss wrote:

    >>strQuery = HttpUtility.UrlEncode(strQuery,
    >>System.Text.Encoding.Default)

    > I suggest using a more web-friendly encoding than some Windows specific
    > default, e.g. ISO-8859-1 or UTF-8.

    Obviously UTF-8 is to be preferred and in most cases this is the actual
    default value returned by System.Text.Encoding.Default.

    Still, in my experience, one needs to use the default rather than
    explicitly choosing UTF-8 if the application is to run on _any_ webhotel
    without encountering encoding mismatch problems, at least with querystrings.

    Kim :eek:)

    Kim Bach Petersen, May 8, 2005
  5. SMG

    Joerg Jooss Guest

    Kim Bach Petersen wrote:

    > Joerg Jooss wrote:
    >
    > > > strQuery = HttpUtility.UrlEncode(strQuery,
    > > > System.Text.Encoding.Default)

    > > I suggest using a more web-friendly encoding than some Windows
    > > specific default, e.g. ISO-8859-1 or UTF-8.

    > Obviously UTF-8 is to be preferred and in most cases this is the
    > actual default value returned by System.Text.Encoding.Default.
    >
    > Still, in my experience, one needs to use the default rather than
    > explicitly choosing UTF-8 if the application is to run on any
    > webhotel without encountering encoding mismatch problems, at least
    > with querystrings.

    You're confusing the need to use Windows-1252 with the need to use
    Encoding.Default.

    For Western European and US Windows OSs Encoding.Default will be an
    instance of Windows-1252, but for other configurations it won't.
    Relying on platform or installation dependent default values impairs
    your application's portability.

    Cheers,
    --
    http://www.joergjooss.de
    mailto:

    Joerg Jooss, May 8, 2005
  6. re:
    > Obviously UTF-8 is to be preferred

    Why ?

    Juan T. Llibre
    ASP.NET MVP
    http://asp.net.do/foros/
    Foros de ASP.NET en Español
    Ven, y hablemos de ASP.NET...
    ======================

    Juan T. Llibre, May 8, 2005
  7. SMG

    Joerg Jooss Guest

    Juan T. Llibre wrote:

    > re:
    > > Obviously UTF-8 is to be preferred

    > Why ?

    Globalization -- assuming you serve mostly content based on Western
    European languages but don't want to get stuck with any 8 bit encodings
    like ISO-8859-x.

    Cheers,
    --
    http://www.joergjooss.de
    mailto:

    Joerg Jooss, May 8, 2005
  8. re:
    > assuming you serve mostly content based on Western European languages

    That's a mighty big assumption to make, don't you think ?

    Even so, using UTF-8, I haven't found a way
    to display characters in the high-ascii 128-255 range,
    which several Western European languages require.

    I've been able to do that by using iso-8859-1.

    Can you post a sample, using utf-8,
    which displays characters in the high-ascii 128-255 range ?

    I'd be a bit more liable to believe you if you did.

    Specifically, if you could show me how to display the
    characters ñ, Ñ, ¡, ¿, á, é, í, ó, and ú with utf-8, I'd be grateful.

    Juan T. Llibre
    ASP.NET MVP
    http://asp.net.do/foros/
    Foros de ASP.NET en Español
    Ven, y hablemos de ASP.NET...
    ======================

    Juan T. Llibre, May 8, 2005
  9. SMG

    Joerg Jooss Guest

    Juan T. Llibre wrote:

    > re:
    > > assuming you serve mostly content based on Western European
    > > languages

    > That's a mighty big assumption to make, don't you think ?

    No, not all. It just doesn't make sense to use UTF-8 from a bandwidth
    perspective once you need to serve a lot of content in on other
    languages or scripts, as one character may require up to six bytes.

    > Even so, using UTF-8, I haven't found a way
    > to display characters in the high-ascii 128-255 range,
    > which several Western European languages require.

    Then you've been doing something wrong. Let me quote the Unicode
    standard document:

    "The Unicode Standard provides 1,114,112 code points, most of which are
    available for encoding of characters. The majority of the common
    characters used in the major languages of the world are encoded in the
    first 65,536 code points, also known as the Basic Multilingual Plane
    (BMP). The overall capacity for more than a million characters is more
    than sufficient for all known character encoding requirements,
    including full coverage of all minority and historic scripts of the
    world."

    There's no civilized 8 bit encoding that cannot be replaced by Unicode
    ;-)

    > I've been able to do that by using iso-8859-1.

    If you can display your characters with ISO-8859-1, you have
    accidentally or willingly switched the response encoding.

    > Can you post a sample, using utf-8,
    > which displays characters in the high-ascii 128-255 range ?

    Let's avoid the errors of the past -- there's no such thing as Hi ASCII
    or 8 bit ASCII. US-ASCII and all its localized clones (ISO-646-xx) are
    7 bit. ISO-8859-x, Windows-125x are built "on top of" US-ASCII.

    If you want to see UTF-8 in real live, feel free to visit my homepage
    which is running dasBlog and serves content in UTF-8.

    > I'd be a bit more liable to believe you if you did.
    >
    > Specifically, if you could show me how to display the
    > characters ñ, Ñ, ¡, ¿, á, é, í, ó, and ú with utf-8, I'd be grateful.

    OK, do the following:

    1. Create a new WebForm in a new ASP.NET project. Make sure that your
    web.config's <globalization/> looks like this:
    <globalization
    requestEncoding="utf-8"
    responseEncoding="utf-8" />

    2. Add a Label control to the WebForm, call it "label" and set its text
    in the property control to the empty string.

    3. Implement the Page_Load method like this:
    this.label.Text = "ñ, Ñ, ¡, ¿, á, é, í, ó, and ú";

    4. Run the WebForm -- it should display the text given above.

    And that's pretty much it.

    See, once you have the characters in a string object and the page is
    not rendered correctly, one of the following errors may have occurred:

    -- Your browser is configured to use a fixed encoding, which does not
    match andf is not compatible with the real encoding (like ISO-8859-1
    vs. UTF-8 for non-ASCII content). This will lead to weird or missing
    characters in web pages (responses).

    -- Neither the HTTP response nor the HTML source specify the character
    encoding. In that case, the browser must guess, and of course it can
    guess wrong. This should never happen with any decent web application
    technology. ASP.NET for example sends a proper
    HTTP header.

    Then there's the case that you have a build-time error. In the example
    given above, I've hardcoded the string in my source file. The ASP.NET
    page processor needs to know the source file's encoding to decode these
    characters correctly -- that's what the fileEncoding attribute of the
    <globalization/> element does. If you'd changed that attribute to an
    incompatible one or one that cannot represent a given character, that
    particular character would be already missing in the resulting string
    object. This isn't usually a problem as display text belongs into
    satellite assemblies anyway, but for simple applications this needs to
    be kept in mind.

    I hope this helps.

    Cheers,
    --
    http://www.joergjooss.de
    mailto:

    Joerg Jooss, May 9, 2005
  10. Hi, Joerg.

    Take a look at the result :
    http://asp.net.do/test/utf-8.aspx
    ( Browsing it with IE6 set to use utf-8 results in the same.)

    Now, look at the same code, using iso-8859-1 :
    http://asp.net.do/test3/iso-8859-1.aspx
    ( Browsing with IE6 set to "Auto-select",
    results in Western European getting selected.)

    I've had numerous problems with utf-8, all of which result
    in common characters in spanish not geting displayed.

    Using iso-8859-1 gets rid of the problems.

    Juan T. Llibre
    ASP.NET MVP
    http://asp.net.do/foros/
    Foros de ASP.NET en Español
    Ven, y hablemos de ASP.NET...
    ======================

    Juan T. Llibre, May 9, 2005
  11. SMG

    Joerg Jooss Guest

    Juan T. Llibre wrote:

    > Hi, Joerg.
    >
    > Take a look at the result :
    > http://asp.net.do/test/utf-8.aspx
    > ( Browsing it with IE6 set to use utf-8 results in the same.)
    >
    > Now, look at the same code, using iso-8859-1 :
    > http://asp.net.do/test3/iso-8859-1.aspx
    > ( Browsing with IE6 set to "Auto-select",
    > results in Western European getting selected.)
    >
    > I've had numerous problems with utf-8, all of which result
    > in common characters in spanish not geting displayed.
    >
    > Using iso-8859-1 gets rid of the problems.

    I'm pretty sure that your source file's encoding is incorrect, because
    in the UTF-8 version, the characters aren't even contained in the HTTP
    response; the Content-Length is significantly less as well.

    I also wouldn't be using XHTML for an encoding test, because a 10
    minute experiment shows that both Firefox and IE aren't up to the task,
    yet (or I did something very stupid).

    Feel free to send me your project files and I'll investigate.

    Cheers,
    --
    http://www.joergjooss.de
    mailto:

    Joerg Jooss, May 10, 2005
  12. I'll send you both file/web.config sets.
    They are identical except for the file encoding.

    Juan T. Llibre
    ASP.NET MVP
    http://asp.net.do/foros/
    Foros de ASP.NET en Español
    Ven, y hablemos de ASP.NET...
    ======================

    Juan T. Llibre, May 10, 2005
  13. SMG

    SMG Guest

    I am waiting for you......

    SMG, May 11, 2005
  14. I mailed them last night at 7 to joergjooss.de ( the news-reply alias ).

    I haven't received a notice of refusal or problem.

    Check your spam strap and/or attachment filter
    and let me know if I should resend to the same
    or to a different address.

    Juan T. Llibre
    ASP.NET MVP
    http://asp.net.do/foros/
    Foros de ASP.NET en Español
    Ven, y hablemos de ASP.NET...
    ======================

    Juan T. Llibre, May 11, 2005
  15. Sorry for the previous message.

    SMG, if you think I will individually mail sets of files
    to everybody who reads this newsgroup, especially
    someone with a fake address, either you're nuts,
    or your sense of humor is rusty.

    Thanks for wasting my time.

    Juan T. Llibre
    ASP.NET MVP
    http://asp.net.do/foros/
    Foros de ASP.NET en Español
    Ven, y hablemos de ASP.NET...
    ======================

    Juan T. Llibre, May 11, 2005
  16. SMG

    Joerg Jooss Guest

    Juan T. Llibre wrote:

    > I mailed them last night at 7 to joergjooss.de ( the news-reply alias
    > ).

    Note that do I have a real job and am not being paid by MS for one hour
    response times ;-) ;-)

    I'll reply by mail, and we'll post the solution once we're there.

    Cheers,
    --
    http://www.joergjooss.de
    mailto:

    Joerg Jooss, May 11, 2005
  17. heh, heh...

    I actually was posting to somebody else's
    idea of a joke, by mistake, and not to you.

    I'll be looking forward to getting this puzzle solved.

    ;-)

    Juan T. Llibre
    ASP.NET MVP
    http://asp.net.do/foros/
    Foros de ASP.NET en Español
    Ven, y hablemos de ASP.NET...
    ======================

    Juan T. Llibre, May 11, 2005
  18. SMG

    Joerg Jooss Guest

    Juan T. Llibre wrote:

    > heh, heh...
    >
    > I actually was posting to somebody else's
    > idea of a joke, by mistake, and not to you.

    Sure, but I still felt inclined to respond ;-)

    Mail has been sent.

    Cheers,
    --
    http://www.joergjooss.de
    mailto:

    Joerg Jooss, May 11, 2005
  19. SMG

    SMG Guest

    Na m Not,
    I thot you will post the solution over here..my thinking is going mad...
    Anyways, you can mail me solution at
    thanks... I need solution urgently, please send it ASAP :)

    when going gets tough, Tough gets going...... :)
    Shailesh G

    SMG, May 12, 2005
  20. Joerg and I are working on a solution offline.

    We are very close to a solution right now.
    As soon as we have one, we'll post it here.

    Juan T. Llibre
    ASP.NET MVP
    http://asp.net.do/foros/
    Foros de ASP.NET en Español