Split class over 2 files

pkirk25

Hi,

I want to create a class with its definition in cls.h and
implementation in cls.cpp I get errors about redfinitions and errors
wahtever way I try to initialise the static proivate variable
*log_file.

// cls.h:

class logger
{
public:
void create(char *log_file_name);
};

// cls.cpp
class logger
{
public:
void create(char *log_file_name)
{
srtcpy *log_file_name, *log_file);
}
private:
static char *log_file;
};

What is the right way to split this so that compiler knows what I am
trying to do?

Daniel T.

"pkirk25 said:
[...]

Put include guards in your header file.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Include_guard

Martin Steen

pkirk25 said:
[...]

Did you mean:

void create(char* log_file_name)
{
strcpy(log_file, log_file_name);
}

This would copy the log_file_name into log_file.
But until log_file is uninitialised, the code
will crash.

It's better to make log_file an array:

char log_file[MAX_FILENAME_LENGTH];

Even better: using std::string class for strings ;)

Best regards,
-Martin

Tom Smith

pkirk25 said:
[...]

The reason you're getting errors about "redefinitions" is because you have
indeed defined the class twice. You need to use a different syntax in the cpp
file for implementing the class' member functions.

I'm pretty certain you don't want log_file to be a static variable. (Do you?
What static means in the context of a class is that every class shares that
single variable - so in this case, every logger you create will automatically be
writing to the same file.)

The way you should split your code is like this:

// cls.h

class logger
{
public:
void create(char *log_file_name)
private:
char *log_file;
};

// cls.cpp

void logger::create(char *log_file_name)
{
srtcpy (*log_file_name, *log_file);
}

There are two significant issues with this code. The first is that you've used a
char* to store text: this is very hard, and your code is buggy as a result.
The first bug is that you're passing *log_file_name to the function strtcpy:
this is the value _stored_ at the address log_file_name, and not the _actual
address_, which is what it will certainly be expecting - there's the same thing
with *log_file - to do that you would write srtcpy (log_file_name, log_file).

However, this is still buggy: at the moment, log_file hasn't been initialised
yet, and so doesn't point to anything - or rather, it probably points to some
random piece of memory. This is very bad. I could show you how to sort this out
as well, but in fact there's a much better solution: std::string, in the
standard library, which handles all text processing much better and more easily
than you or I could ever hope to do. Rewritten with std::string your code would
look like this:

// cls.h

#include <string>

using std::string;

class logger
{
public:
void create(string const& log_file_name)
private:
string log_file;
};

// cls.cpp

void logger::create(string const& log_file_name)
{
// guarantees log_file gets its own bit of memory
log_file = log_file_name.substr();
}

A good reference on strings can be found here:
http://www.camtp.uni-mb.si/books/Thinking-in-C++/Chapter01.html

However, there's still more improvements. Have you studied constructors yet? A
constructor is essentially a built-in create function. I won't go into detail
here, but again Thinking in C++ is an excellent reference:
http://www.camtp.uni-mb.si/books/C++/Chapter06.html

Rewritten with a proper constructor, your code becomes this:

// cls.h

#include <string>

using std::string;

class logger
{
public:
logger()
logger(string const& log_file_name)
private:
string log_file;
};

// cls.cpp

logger::logger()
: log_file ("default.log")

logger::logger(string const& log_file_name)
: log_file (log_file_name.substr());

Having done that, you can now declare a new logger very straightforwardly:
logger MyLogger("errors.log");

This is quite a lot of information - hope some of it helps...

Tom

Osamede Zhang

pkirk25 said:
[...]

I can't understand why you write code like that,you defined class
logger twice
Why not void logger::create
What is the right way to split this so that compiler knows what I am
trying to do?
..

pkirk25

Tom,

Wow - thanks! I was completely messign it up.

Mind if I pick your brain further?

I want to have the logger class have a member function called write()
that is overlaoded.

write(char *file_name, string message)
write(string message)

I thought using the static term would mean that if I created an
instance called myLog whcih writes to "new_log.html", any other class
could append to the same logfile just by using the write(string
message) function.

A file name used by fstream shoudl be in the char *file_name format
which is only reason I use it.

What is best way to have the filename persist if static is not right?

Patrick

Salt_Peter

pkirk25 said:
Tom,

Wow - thanks! I was completely messign it up.

Mind if I pick your brain further?

I want to have the logger class have a member function called write()
that is overlaoded.

write(char *file_name, string message)
write(string message)

the above are not functions, if you properly make them functions you
can simply add them to your interface and implementation. Note that you
don't need the first write since you have presumeably already loaded
the filename using the def ctor or parametized ctor.

// logger.h
#ifndef LOGGER_H_
#define LOGGER_H_ /*include guards */
#include <string>

class logger
{
std::string log_file;
public:
logger();
logger(const std::string& log_file_name);
void write(std::string& msg) const;
};

#endif /* LOGGER_H_ include guard */
___
// cls.cpp
#include "logger.h"
using std::string;

logger::logger() : log_file ("default.log")

logger::logger(const string& log_file_name)
: log_file (log_file_name);

void logger::write(const string& msg) const
{
// do stuff here (ie: open a std::eek:fstream to log_file and << msg)
}
I thought using the static term would mean that if I created an
instance called myLog whcih writes to "new_log.html", any other class
could append to the same logfile just by using the write(string
message) function.

Not neccessarily. Static means that the object persists in global space
where *only* static functions can access static objects. That
complicates your class's interfaces because you now would need a static
function everywhere you want to access the static logger. Also, static
does not mean persist accross compilation boundaries. You could very
well end up with distinct loggers in seperate compilation units. You'ld
have to make the logger static and extern(al). Why deal with such a
mess?
Imagine a static logger overhere writing to the same file as a logger
overthere?
You also want to consider the implications of having to "couple" your
other classes.
Where a bunch of objects rely on some static logger to be available in
order for an instance of that class to do anything. It gets nasty.
A file name used by fstream shoudl be in the char *file_name format
which is only reason I use it.

a std::string variable can return a constant char* easily.

std::string filename("log.txt");
const char* = filename.c_str();
What is best way to have the filename persist if static is not right?

Instead of making it static, just initialize it in main and let main's
scope "persist" it.

#include "logger.h"

int main()
{
logged thelog("log.txt");

// do whatever including thelog.write( ... )
// or let other objects take a reference to your logger
// window.logit(thelog);

} // thelog gets zapped here