Split XSLT Trafo Output

bbembi_de

Hello,

I want to split the output of a xslt transformation in different
files.

I have very big xml input files (for example 50 MB) and want to split
it with a xslt trafo.
I don't want to split just in the order the data in the file comes.
the xslt decides for every data in which file it will be written.

Is that even possible?

Thanks.

Bye juergen

Martin Honnen

I want to split the output of a xslt transformation in different
files.

I have very big xml input files (for example 50 MB) and want to split
it with a xslt trafo.
I don't want to split just in the order the data in the file comes.
the xslt decides for every data in which file it will be written.

Is that even possible?

XSLT 2.0 allows you to create several result documents with one
transformation, using the xsl:result-document instruction, see
<URL:http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt20/#creating-result-trees>.

With XSLT 1.0 processors you will need to look for an extension, for
instance Saxon 6 has this:
<URL:http://saxon.sourceforge.net/saxon6.5.5/xsl-elements.html#xsl:document>

Joseph Kesselman

The semi-portable XSLT 1.0 solution would be the "redirect" extension
from the EXSLT package.

The portable 1.0 solution would be to run serveral transformations, each
generating just one out the output documents.

Richard Tobin

Joseph Kesselman said:
The semi-portable XSLT 1.0 solution would be the "redirect" extension
from the EXSLT package.

I believe redirect is a Xalan extension. The EXSLT extension is
exsl:document.

-- Richard

Joe Kesselman

Richard said:
I believe redirect is a Xalan extension. The EXSLT extension is
exsl:document.

Right. That's what I get for not checking. "... But the idea's the
important thing." (Bonus points to anyone under 25 who recognizes the
quote.)