SQL Server 2005

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Just Me, Apr 21, 2007.

  1. Just Me

    Just Me Guest

    OK, I have SQL2005/vs2005 and on my local machine I have SQL Express, so my
    local connection string is like this. When i publish to the server, it of
    course cannot find the instance for the server . I guess my question is

    1.) Do I need an sql server on the server, I know this sounds like a dumb
    question, but I was wondering if the providers could access it without as a
    local database directly. I think the answer is no, but I thought I would
    ask.

    2.) If I need an sql server on the server, I do have one, so I could alter
    the connection string so that the one on the server picks it up and then
    just exclude the local web.config from the project so it doesent copy it
    when publishing.

    Any wisdom would be appreciated.

    <connectionStrings>

    <add name="MembersConnectionString1" connectionString="Data
    Source=.\SQLEXPRESS;AttachDbFilename=|DataDirectory|\Members.mdf;Integrated
    Security=True;User Instance=True"

    providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

    </connectionStrings>
    Just Me, Apr 21, 2007

  2. Just Me

    Mark Rae Guest

    "Just Me" <news.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > OK, I have SQL2005/vs2005 and on my local machine I have SQL Express, so
    > my local connection string is like this. When i publish to the server, it
    > of course cannot find the instance for the server . I guess my question is
    >
    > 1.) Do I need an sql server on the server, I know this sounds like a dumb
    > question, but I was wondering if the providers could access it without as
    > a local database directly. I think the answer is no, but I thought I would
    > ask.

    If your web app uses SQL Server, your webserver will need to be able to
    access the database one way or another - how you choose to architect that is
    up to you...

    > 2.) If I need an sql server on the server, I do have one, so I could alter
    > the connection string so that the one on the server picks it up and then
    > just exclude the local web.config from the project so it doesent copy it
    > when publishing.

    Use Web Deployment Projects:
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?sour...GGLG:2006-28,GGLG:en&q=Web Deployment Project

    That will allow you to have separate sections in your web.config for
    development, UAT, production etc
    Mark Rae, Apr 21, 2007

  3. Just Me

    Just Me Guest

    Many thanks Mark, your reply was helpful.

    Just Me, Apr 22, 2007