SQL SERVER TIMEOUT PROBLEM

Mustafa Yesilkaya

Hi. I have a problem with sql server. I have thousands of record in a
database table. When i want to list all with SELECT * command in asp.net
page, an error message comes : SQL SERVER TIMEOUT.

But when i list with SELECT CITY command there is no error message but the
process is very slow.

Can you help me?

Guest

Hi Mustafa

As I came across ur problem there may be some reasons

Application level: 1. Please check the value for connection timeout attribute in connection string
2. Check setting for connection timeout in SQL server settings

Hardware level:
1 . Your processor speed and RAM may be insufficient to process ur request in time it you have large no of records
Move the database on a machine having more memory(RAM) than present system

Hope fully this will help u

regards

Anil Pathania
(e-mail address removed)

Trevor Benedict R

If you are using a SQL Command object, it should have a Timeout Value.
You can set that.

One more thing you should do is specify the column names in the select
list also try to add the WITH (NOLOCK) clause to aviod waiting for locks
to be released in a table that is being updated. something like

SELECT COLUMN1, COLUMN2 FROM TABLENAME WITH (NOLOCK)

HTH

Trevor Benedict R
MCSD