Squeak-like environment for Python?

Jumping Arne

I've been playing with Squeak a bit and I really like the persistent storage
model, I also liked HyperCard and Frontier (well, the persistent storage
model at least).

I wonder if there is some similar environment but based on python, I would
like to use this environment not as a development environment but as a
platform for storing data etc - much like HyperCard.

I found a few postings about such an environment:

<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/edu-sig/2006-April/006226.html>

but it looks like nothing happened.

pythoncard doesn't seem to have the persistent storage model

Have I missed something obvious?

Diez B. Roggisch

Jumping said:
I've been playing with Squeak a bit and I really like the persistent
storage model, I also liked HyperCard and Frontier (well, the persistent
storage model at least).

I wonder if there is some similar environment but based on python, I would
like to use this environment not as a development environment but as a
platform for storing data etc - much like HyperCard.

I found a few postings about such an environment:

<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/edu-sig/2006-April/006226.html>

but it looks like nothing happened.

pythoncard doesn't seem to have the persistent storage model

What about ZODB? You can use that to store (more or less) arbitrary objects.
Maybe that can be a foundation, if you throw in

http://nodebox.net/code/index.php/Home

it might be similar to squeak (I only dimly remember what squeak as a whole
is though - smalltalk & easy multimedia I remember)

Diez

Bruno Desthuilliers

Diez B. Roggisch a écrit :
What about ZODB? You can use that to store (more or less) arbitrary objects.
Maybe that can be a foundation, if you throw in

http://nodebox.net/code/index.php/Home

it might be similar to squeak (I only dimly remember what squeak as a whole
is though - smalltalk & easy multimedia I remember)

Mainly, Squeak is a (relatively) recent, free implementation of Smalltalk.

<disclaimer="please someone correct me if I'm wrong">
The "persistent storage model" - the 'image' storing the whole system
(code, libs, data, whatever) - is part of the Smalltalk system since
it's first conception IIRC (even if some Smalltalk implementations -
like GNU Smalltalk - are more traditionnaly file-based and have no
automatic persistence).
</disclaimer>